Bow-fishing

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Bow-fishing

Postby esiegel91 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:20 pm

So I have a browning rage compound bow 50# draw...how can I set this up for bow fishing...I've never been but want to try it..do I need a special license or no? Any info would be awesome thanks in advance guys

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
esiegel91
hunter

Re: Bow-fishing

Postby mw46 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Jus pick up a reel and arrow and your set. Simple versions can be had for relatively cheap, I like the AMS setup, its very user friendly and safe, but I think its more on the expensive end. I'm sure you've seen a lot of boats with nice platforms, lights, and fans but don't let yourself think that's all neccesary. Just find a buddy or two and have one shine a spotlight while another one runs a trolling motor or pushpole. You'll go through a lot of spotlight batteries but its a lot cheaper than floodlights and generators. If you have a good spot you can go during the day too and not even worry about the hassle of lights.

You'll definately wanna check your state regs about license requirements, but here in MS a freshwater fishing license is all that is needed
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby Sparks0812 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 pm

I was gonna post something similar, so I'll post it here instead.

I was thinking about using my hunting bow to bowfish. Will I need to take my sight and whisker biscuit off? And is it pretty simple to put on the AMS stuff?

I was looking at the oklahoma regs. All it takes here is a fishing license and you can shoot non game fish. Some lakes let you shoot bass
Sparks0812
hunter

Postby adrenilinejunky » Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 am

I use my hunting bow for shooting carp and it works just fine for me. There are fishing arrows the the line attatches to a slide that slides up and down the arrow so you shouldnt need to take off your wisker biscut, I dont. Just make sure that the slide is in front of it when you knock the arrow. As far as your sights....I dont remove mine but they dont do you much good cuz the fishing arrows are so much heavier they regular arrows that I will under shoot my fish if you try to use them.
Waterfowl hunting is not just a sport, Its an addiction to some of us.
adrenilinejunky
hunter

Postby mw46 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 am

+1. However, I generally take off my hunting sights/rest, just to keep them from getting banged up
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon May 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Sparks0812 wrote:I was gonna post something similar, so I'll post it here instead.

I was thinking about using my hunting bow to bowfish. Will I need to take my sight and whisker biscuit off? And is it pretty simple to put on the AMS stuff?

I was looking at the oklahoma regs. All it takes here is a fishing license and you can shoot non game fish. Some lakes let you shoot bass

I used my whisker biscuit and it got destroyed. The weight of the arrow tore up the bristles. Bowfishing arrows are way heavy compared to normal arrows. I'd get a bowfishing rest. I'm pretty sure you can find them for under $10-$15. Just my 0.02.

There's an "active" thread in the fishing forum too.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Return to Archery