what brand bow do u shoot?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Postby MotoStar929rr » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:21 am

skybuster20ga wrote:ive shot everything almost. pse, hoyt, alpine, pearson, jennings, highcountry, point blank, ar, darton, mathews and now shoot bowtech. ide shoot all of those bow ACCEPT the mathews. probably one of the worst now but they have such a good marketing gimmic ppl are blinded.

I'm not about the brand really. I'm about the performance, fit, feel, and the consistent groups. When I shot the 05 Mat switchback I was currently shootinng an 04 Hoyt X-Tec. The only thing I liked better about the Hoyt was the grip. I like the way it cradles compared to mathews. I am sold on the Mathews I shoot. I am curious to know what led you to the conclusion that Mathews is so God-awful? I dropped from open freestyle and started shooting Bowhunter Freestyle b/c I was shooting better x-counts w/ the Mat. @ 70lbs than my Ultra-Elite 50lb. Freestyle Bow. I was consistently 53X w/ it, before I was barely breaking 40X. Was it just one bad bow or a multitude? I tried the trykon when it was released after I bought the Mat, and hated the way it nearly tore my shoulder out of socket when it broke over. The Bowtechs felt the same to me and loud. The bow really didn't have much in the way of stretch or break-in, surprisingly enough. Never experienced that before. I had a bad deal w/ a couple bowtechs when the patriot first came out, riser machinig issues. They denied it but I mic'd the bows and it was wrong. Maybe they've worked it allout, but I'll never shoot another one. Not bashing anyone just my exprience. I'd be interested to know what's got you so set against Mat. Maybe it's not the horse, might be the jockey... :biggrin: j/k
Interested,
MS929RR
MotoStar929rr
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:11 pm

when bowtech first came ojn the scene they were loud. a long long long time ago. the new ones now are NOT any louder then anything else. tests have proven that. mathews have junk strings the roller gaurd is junk. they twist and ruin buscable serving. its bullcrap that the solocam does not need to be timed. they do! thats why they have timing marks duh. they have severe cam lean! fix it and in 100 shots its back where it started. mathews has master limb problems w/ cracking. mr. mcpherson will tell you that himself. the grip on the mathews is way to fat. feels like a damn rocking chair. want me to keep going????
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby MotoStar929rr » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:21 am

I guess it's whatever works well for each person then huh? If you think you have the best out there I'm sure you do. I still think the mathews I got is great. Every manuf. has lemons. If my bow has all those problems you speak of, I'm pretty impressed!! I can only imagine what it'd do if all that was fixed. Heck, I could probably drop it off at my stand, come back later and find my P&Y layin' there dead. If it was as right as you say it should be, but isn't, I'm sure it could kill my deer for me and bring my avg to 60X300's instead of 53-54's. :rofl:

And bowtech may be quiet now,...They should be! They put what looked like 8lbs of rubber to isloate and dampen it, on the last one I saw. My uncle was a Hoyt man until he was picked up as hunting Pro-staff by Bowtech. He shot exceptionally well out to sixty w/ his hoyt. Even after meeting w/ bowtech his Independence was worthless. I've never seen him miss as many animals as he did when he started shooting the bowtech. The bow was so inconsistent it was unreal. Bowtech couldn't even figure it out when they took it back. They gave him a new one and his troubles continued. My patriot riser was machined way out of square, .039". It required the shooter to cant the bow to group past about 30. By 60 it felt like you were trying to shoot a longbow w/o a rest. 3 different bows were the same way. I never investigated till I found other shooters to have the same problem. My uncle actually accepted the pro-staff again for bowtech and has now got something new. It seems to shoot excellent for him and he likes pretty decent. Just shows you everybody has a bad manufacturing flaw sometime. Bowtech may have all the kinks worked out now but I turned down a ride w/ them in light of having to give up the switchback. If it works for you, great. I have over 20000 arrows through my mathews, and haven't had a problem yet. Good luck with the Bowtech, you'll need it. :biggrin:
MotoStar929rr
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:58 am

im not saying i didnt like all my mathews bows when i shot them. i did. they were the best at the time. im just sayin to you, keep an eye on these things. ive had MQ32, lx, outback, and a switchback for a week. all my buddys who shot mathews shot my bowtech now they are proud owners a a tribute and one allegiance. you talk to me like i have never owned bows before i shoot mbr and open and shoot in the 280's on average and 292-295 sometimes. thats outdoor 3d and i shot the same scores w/ all my mathews but i was constantly tuning because they fall so far out in no time flat! ive actualoly gone to traditional over the winter and having a blast. way less headache way more fun!
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby MotoStar929rr » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:20 pm

No, I know you've shot a lot. Just seems weird I haven't heard anything around the shoots and tourneys in KC about these problems. I'm glad you shoot the bowtech well. I think they had some issues for a year or two. When a company grows as fast as they did, it's hard to keep quality control up to par and still meet manufacturing requirements. Just my $.02 When my switchback starts causing problems I'll definitely give bowtech, and everyone else at that, another chance. I'm with you on the traditional thing. A LOT LESS complicated. Good luck. My uncle's new bow is the tribute, seems to be working well.

MS929RR
MotoStar929rr
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:47 pm

let me clear up one thing so i dont sound so brand loyal. i switch bows like i change socks. when the bowtechs first come out i dispised them for the same bad habbits as you mentioned. noise and jumpy. thats when i was shooting the MQ32. but they became so well developed in 2005/06 that i felt in my oinion that it was time to trade in my switchback. i also should note that if i was a beginner and was goping to try to get into archery cheap but still have quality or for a back up 5th bow i would not hesitate to shoot an AR31/34......my father has been at this for 40 years and has shot EVERYTHING and he now is shooting a 60# AR 31 and absolutley loves everything about it. and i must admit its quiet stable smooth and very consistant. it isnt the fastest thing but hes old school and speed doesnt concern him. i have it at 268 through my chrono @ 60# 29" draw and 380gr. shaft
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Come on worry, worry, tinker, tinker, tune this, tune that. :lol: I shoot a recurve and its pretty safe to say if I miss a shot, its my fault not my bows. I cant shoot golfballs at 40 yds, but I can put it in the vitals of a deer at 25yds anytime. :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:12 pm

what are you shootin for a shaft out of your recurve?
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Lee Pete » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:29 pm

96 Hoyt Defiant for me. 31" draw length and 70lb draw weight. :biggrin: :welcome:
Lee Pete
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:53 pm

i shot the tenacity in 96 way back when i was 14 :biggrin: i won some tourneyments w/ her. that bow was real finicky. no wall at all. i should have had the reliant at that time. that was when i started shooting jr. open ......
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:28 pm

skybuster20ga wrote:what are you shootin for a shaft out of your recurve?
I use xx78 superslams 2219 cut to 28 1/2" for broadheads I use 100 grain thunderheads but would like to try muzzy.
My bow is a Skyhawk pulling 70lbs. at 28".
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:05 pm

you shoot a 70# recurve???????? hm......ok.

well my recurve samick deerslayer 62" 45# and i shoot 27" slim st axis 400si can shoot 6 inch circles to 20 yds regualaly. my bowtech i shoot axis full metal jacket 400 26" 71# bowtech alegiance for hunting my 3d setup are easton light speeds and my hunter class i shoot GT pro hunters.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:22 pm

[quote="skybuster20ga"]you shoot a 70# recurve???????? hm......ok.

Yes sir its 70lbs, Im 43 and weigh 240lbs. but it took me several years to work up to the poundage. Somedays though it feels close to 100lbs. though :rofl: :rofl:
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:36 pm

what kind of energy is she putin out? im 23 and own my own concrete business so i know a little bit about bein rugged but jesus!, a 70 # recurve!?!? WHY! :huh:
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:48 pm

LOL. Skybuster, I shoot 70lbs. because I can. And with stick bows you need to shoot as heavy a bow as you can shoot ACCURATELY especially for hunting ! Besides I kinda like being a He Man and laughing at people that try to pull it back! :lol:
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:04 pm

well you know as well as i do that the muscels used to draw a bow are used only for that so its more conditioning then raw power and stregnth.

my father has a mathews heritage in 55# and a kodiak in 50# and i shoot a 45# and w/ my set up im shooting 178fps........my bowtech is 324 w/ my comp setup.@ 4.6 gr. per #. what kind of accuracy are you achieving at 20yds
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:16 pm

On a good day I can put um in a 3-4" circle. At 40yds about 10". With instintive shooting I dont shoot alot of groups for known distances. I like to shoot 1 arrow and vary the distance. That way its truly instinctive and Im not locking in on muscle memory. I do alot of stump shooting for off season practice.
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:21 pm

yea same here. i dont shoot me recurve from known distances either. like you say its instinctive. ive been shooting in my basement 40' all winter but from dif. angles and distances so i DONT get "muscle trained". i shoot at a dime sized sticker on my block. my first shoot w/ my recurve is the 22nd of april.....should be interesting. from open pro to traditional haha. ive shot almost 3000 shots through it this winter.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Ive shot Hitec stuff too, just got tired of all the gagets. My best buck is a compound bow kill. There are advantages to both bows. but the compound shooters really bog themselves down to much I think with equipment. For hunting I like to keep it simple. Good luck with the stickbow competions. I used to shoot in them alot around here. Got 2nd
place in a big tourney in Abilene Tx. once.
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:34 am

thanks. w/ my compounds since i was about4 ive won new englands states ive qualified for vegas twice. i win at weekend shoots all summer long its a blast. my buddys are laughin that im so into my traditional now but i dont care. i taught all them how to shoot compound so i bet they wont be far behind when they see how much fun it is
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby muddydog » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Glad to see you are enjoying traditonal equip. I dont know if it really is better, but I know for sure its more fun. Good luck with your shoots, skybuster.
muddydog
hunter

Postby grnheadhunter85 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:16 pm

ROSS CR334....28.5" 68#
EASTON AXIS 400
100 GR MUZZYS
Here we go boys, there coming around....wait for it, waait for it. Cut the GREEN!!
grnheadhunter85
hunter

Postby grnheadhunter85 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:19 pm

choclab wrote:I guess I am the only Ross fan on this forum!!

Your not the only one.....buddy of mine talked me into getting one here recently and i love it!!
Here we go boys, there coming around....wait for it, waait for it. Cut the GREEN!!
grnheadhunter85
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:36 pm

ross is a good shooter and well built. my hand doesnt like the grip though.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Ducks4Coach » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:59 am

I shoot an old Pearson that has been through a house fire and still shoots well. After the fire, I bought a PSE Nova to replace it. Now I shoot both throughout the year.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Archery