My first lost deer

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

My first lost deer

Postby poor_duck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Well, it happens to the best of us...and I am certainly not the best.

Friday morning I sat in my tree stand for a quick hunt . There is a doe that had been coming in every morning for a few weeks finally I had the time to hunt their

Around 7:00 am seven point walked in and started feeding on the acorns. As I watched him for 10 min he was nice with good mass and he looked pretty gray, an older fellow.

It took me about 5 minutes to get ready to shoot because he was only 16 feet away and at the slightest noise he would look around for 30 seconds. I hit him a little higher than I would have liked but still believed I got lung. For the first time however I saw the arrow stuck in him as he ran off. I knew this wasn't good.

45 minutes later a buddy and I started looking for his trail. We found blood about 30 yards from where he entered the woods and followed it for 50 yards. Then we heard him crashing around and decided to come back the next morning.

Saturday morning we went out after my friend got a couple hours in at his stand. We found a real solid blood trail and followed it for a hundred yards up and down hills, over creeks, you know the drill. The blood was pinkish with bubbles and I knew I had hit lung. We found the arrow (the broadhead was broken off somehow) and the blood trail got real nice...for awhile. We found two beds, both within 20 yards of each other, one with a good amount of blood and the other with just a few drops. After that we found no more blood. After searching for 4 hours with four people we gave up so i call i guy with tracking dog and no luck :mad: :mad:

Sunday morning I went back and looked again to no avail for a few hours. Overall I want to throw up. I have never lost a deer before and I am just sick knowing that it is unlikely he lived after the amount of blood he lost and the fact that the broadhead is probably still in him.

get a phone call yesterday they found him 2 mile away from where i shot him too late to recover any meat. i call fish&game they came to take a look and i had to tag it oh well no meat but i took whats left I did the right thing . He was 4.5 to 5.5 years old what a shame :sad:
poor_duck
hunter

Re: My first lost deer

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I've recieved a lot of advice about bowhunting over the years, but one nugget that for some reason stuck is : "You're not a bowhunter until you lose an animal."

It's a sobering dose of humility that I'm not looking forward to, but I think it is an important experience for a sportsman.

The guy who told me that has completed a noth american super slam with his bow.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I've received a lot of advice about bow hunting over the years, but one nugget that for some reason stuck is : "You're not a bow hunter until you lose an animal."

It's a sobering dose of humility that I'm not looking forward to, but I think it is an important experience for a sportsman.

The guy who told me that has completed a north american super slam with his bow.

Thank you so much for all your support and advice
poor_duck
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:50 pm

that whats left
Attachments
20121016_130722.jpg
poor_duck
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Just get the broad head out and feed the other animals in the area. My dad taught me when I was younger, that if I were to ever lose an animal, the earth takes it back. I hope this gives you some peace of mind :smile:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Just get the broad head out and feed the other animals in the area. My dad taught me when I was younger, that if I were to ever lose an animal, the earth takes it back. I hope this gives you some peace of mind :smile:

Thank you that help a little :smile:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 am

Brother I lost two this year and it is the worst feeling in the world, one shot was a little high and back and no blood looked far and wide to no avail, that made me sick but I accepted it. Then I shoot another one looked like a great right behind the shoulder, followed good blood for a long ways then dried up. I really felt like I should quit I felt so bad because I practice several hours at least two times a week almost every week and I can cut x's all day, but still lost two deer back to back, but if I gave up that wouldn't make me much of a hunter would it? As long as you try you hardest to recover your animal and be profeicent with your weapon then more times then not you will come out on top. losing animals is just like missing, if it hasn't happened to you, you probably haven't been hunting very long. Hope my terrible luck makes you feel better about your situation. and Bill, thanks for that little proverb, that makes me feel better too haha
Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks
hunter

Postby East Texas Cutter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:25 pm

If you dont feel any remorse when you lose a wounded animal, you shouldnt be hunting. Ive lost my fair share with a bow and always feel terrible about it but if you hunt your going have that.
If your gonna play in Texas, Gotta have a fiddle in the Band.
East Texas Cutter
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Hey man dont let it stop you from enjoying what you love. It does happen... even with the gun it does and can happen. I truly beleive you aernt a real hunter until youve lost and animal. This sounds odd but its true. As long as you put your everything into making a good shot and recovering the animal then you shouldnt feel to bad. I mean yes one does feel bad when you loose an animal, if you dont then you shouldnt be hunting. But theres a time and place wher you have to except the fear and bad thoughts of its going to happen and your gonna lose an animal hear and there. Dont worry it happens to the best of us man. Just make sure all your shots are well withint range with a bow, remember the closer the better! and try your hardest.

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby poor_duck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Thank you guys for all the support i learned a good thing its not to give up and i'm not giving up :smile:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:44 pm

I lost a mule deer a few years back that is quite a unique circumstance. A buck came up out of a creek bed and eventually offered a shot. I made what appeared to be a perfect lung shot and he turned and went back toward the creek where he disapeared for a moment and reappeared running straight away until I lost him over a hill a few hundred yards away. I counldn't find the arrow and lost the blood trail after the creekbed. I spent the rest of the day and the next circling the area where he disappeared with no luck. A few days later I was in the same area where the shot was made coming in from a different direction following the creek bed. About 60 yards from where I shot, at a fork in the creek lay the deer. After some pondering and backtracking I realized he had been there all the time and had gone down almost immediately as it was a perfect shot. What I hadn't realized is that there was a second buck down in the creekbed when I shot. The one I hit spooked him out when it went down into the creekbed. The second deer was the one I saw go over the hill while the one I hit turned and followed the creek. I made the assumption the one that ran over the hill was the one I shot. I hadn't even thought to look the other direction. Lesson learned...........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Archery