Help with Bow for Turkey

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Help with Bow for Turkey

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

I just bought my first bow for turkey, after taking many birds with my 12 g. I need a new challenge.

Problem is I am not strong enough to pull much weight I am female 5"1 104 lb. and can just barely pull 50 lb. I am working on my strength but 50 will prob. be my max.

Is 50 lb enough to kill a gobbler at 20 yards?

Thanks in advance!
New to this site, looks like another fun place to be, glad I found it!
One shot one kill

Don't run in on another hunters gobbler EARN yours!

Female hunter and loving it.
RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Re: Help with Bow for Turkey

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:48 am

Yes!! :thumbsup: 40-45 pounds is more than enough with todays higher efficiency bows in fact. Inside of 30 yards, there isn't a turkey in the world you can't kill with todays bows built specifically for women and youth hunters as long as you practice and use a good sharp broadhead. Pratcie enough and you'll be able to poke em in the head to 15 yards too! I set up for archery turkey with my decoys about 7-10 yards MAX from my shooting ports. I want them close and the blind won't bug a turkey ne little bit.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Thank you!
Thats great, I hope I can use it this spring, we'll see I have a lot to learn about bows. I bought a used youth compound bow( just my size) to start with so I need to find a good bow store to get me all set up and started.
I love getting in close!

If anyone knows of a good place here in Co. Springs to get me all set up I would appreciateiate it. :thumbsup:
One shot one kill

RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:27 pm

:welcome: and 50lbs will be just fine. here is some kill zones you might want to keep in mind when you get out there to kill your bird. :thumbsup:
Attachments
Turkey kill zone.jpg
Turkey kill zone.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
chinogoose
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 am

chinogoose, when I practice for archery turkey I actually printed out the full sized prints of those exact same pictures and use them as targets. Another shot you don't hear near enough about too is the head shot. Within 15 yards, if you're using decoys, you can get the gobbler to stand fairly still. I'll take that opportunity for a head shot if at all possible. Your gear must be tuned WELL and you MUST practice the shot but if they're inside 15-20 yards, (my self imposed range limit) a head shot is either instant death or a complete miss. :hammer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks guys!Very helpful pics! I will print them also, I think as real as poss helps.

A friend of mine said there are expandable broadheads you can buy for head shots. Is that true and if so what do you all think about them? As a shotgunner I am sure used to head shots but this is a new and exciting path for me so I don't want gimmicks I want to make clean shots and enjoy my bow.
One shot one kill

RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes the broadhead is the Guillotine you can look it up on youtube and see lot's of heads shots. I have killed all 4 of my turkeys with an expandable broadhead but that's what works for me. Your going to have try some and find the one you like and go with it. :thumbsup: BTW i have never taken a head shot and still have 4 dead turkeys :yes: Good luck and post pic's of your bird
chinogoose
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 am

Thats great thanks I will check em out on utube and Thanks to all for the welcome!
Cant wait for the season to start, I scout all year on the PC and next month I hit the ground and scout in person looking for Rios this year instead of my usual Mariam's. I will post my pic of either a Rio or a Merriam.

Any tips you can give me that would useful to a first time bow hunter?

I know it will be harder not to be seen with the movement I have to make but I can help hide that by drawing before the turks can see me. I am trying to come up with an easy transport foldable blind 5 ft. tall and maybe 3 ft. wide to hide me so I can draw in plain site of the turks.
One shot one kill

RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:45 am

I use H.S. Strut Portable Ground Blind
it works ok but if you can put up a pop up blind that would be better. Good luck :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 am

Thanks, I have looked into portable blinds but I prefer to travel as light as poss. so I can move when I need to and here in Colorado I usually hunt the mountain birds so the lighter the better, I also like the challenge of getting close and not being seen, it makes me a better hunter.
My next hunt will most likely be on the plains using a bicycle as the area is very larg. 17 miles

Sorry when I first read your post I thought you ment a sit in blind, I also use the H.S. ground blind sometimes and I like it a lot if you go to you tube you'l see one of my videos hunting in the roost area of a Marriam flock in Colorado. I was about 75 ft. from a roosted gobbler with no blind at all just me, I love it! Hi my name is Lynne and I'm an addict.......a turkey hunting addict that is!! Yah! Video...utube rockymtngobblers.

All of my videos are on roostraider on youtube but I lost my password and google makes it impossible to change it.
No I never shoot a turk in a tree, most are taken later in the day anyway, but cant beat the am in a roost area.
One shot one kill

RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm

If 50 pds is a struggle for you, crank that thing down to 40. 40 pds is more than enough to kill a longbeard, it might not pass through but that can actually be a good thing preventing it from running/flying. Being able to draw back fast and smooth is a MUST when turkey hunting, the slightest glimpse of you moving and he is heading for the hills, its not like deer hunting when your 20 ft in the air. You also need to be able to hold at full draw for an extended period of time. I target practice holding draw for a minute and then shooting. Turkeys can see 180 degrees which means once he is on top of you drawing, without being seen is almost impossible especially if there is more than one so you have to draw back early. Of course hunting out of a ground blind makes most of those problems go away but i for one hate hunting from a blind, it takes all the challenge of using a bow away. It also makes you stuck in one spot and more like deer hunting. Like you said, if your tired of blasting them with a shotgun and want a new challenge, dont use a ground blind, its just as easy as a gun except your stuck in one spot. As for the broadhead, get the biggest expandable you can, i would suggest the turkey tomahawk by rocket. Gobbler guillotines are just something that look cool on tv. You have to hit them in the head which means they need to be real close, and if they hit the smallest twig on the way to the bird the arrow is thrown off which is a problem when your shooting a 4 inch open blade. They are basically only effective to use when hunting from a blind because the turkey has to get in your face without seeing you and you need a huge opening to shoot through. Not to mention if you shoot low you are only going to injure the bird. Turn your bow down to 40 pds, buy some tomahawks, probably some bowstix, and practice holding draw for a minute and then shooting at different angles sitting on the ground. Hope this helps
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Very cool info callumcuffumkillum Thanks!!!
That 40 lb will help me a lot although I'll still work on getting to 50 lb so I'll be versatile. I have plenty of room to practice, what is the best stance to shoot on one knee or standing? What do you prefer head shots or body shots?

I will never use a sit in blind I usually hunt alone and am not hiking uphill carrying anything I don't need, I like you prefer getting up close just using my camo or maybe a foldable short blind knee high. Turkeys are funny I've been busted up close and yet they keep coming in and busted at a distance and they take off but thats part of the challenge I look forward to not getting busted using a bow, I cant wait!!!

Thanks!
One shot one kill

RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I always shoot for the body, if they get in real close a head shot is obviously gonna anchor them but unless you feel 100% I wouldnt try it. A well placed body shot and they are going far, if anywhere. Just like with a shotgun, it is hard to shoot to the right if you are right handed, and even harder with a bow. Shooting 90 degrees to the left from the direction Iam facing is the most comfortable for me so i always set up facing the direction where the gobbler will come in towards the left. With a bow, shooting from the ground you can pretty much on shoot straight in front to about 90 degrees to the left depending on how far you can pull the bow around. Just practice shooting of the ground and get comfortable that way. Keep in mind that you can only let the bow get so close to the ground when shooting because the limbs will flex back out. Just shoot me a pm if you want anymore pointers or help. Good luck this season :thumbsup:
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks callumcuffumkillum !
A body shot just makes since. I just may pm you during the season if I don't get my bird right away, being new to archery I have a lot to learn but I am very good at getting in close so I'll work hard to get my first Rio and bow bird at the same time. Going to a bow shop in the next couple of days to get some arrows so I can practice and make sure the bow is set right for me and the turkey.
One shot one kill

RockyMtnGobblers
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I wouldn't even worry about it if you can get worked up to 50 lbs by season start 40 or 45 lbs will put them down too. The weight you can draw standing up shooting at targets and the weight you can draw from a sitting position will likely be different. shoot the weight you can easily and comfortably handle if you are sitting. while head shots are possible the head is one part of the turkey that is almost always in motion. If it moves 3/4" that can be the difference between a hit and miss.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Archery