single cam or dual cam?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

single cam or dual cam?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:19 am

What are the benifits or downfalls of either. I have a very nice Bear bow and love the way it shoots but it is now in its 10th season and I am looking at lighter, faster more compact bows for this spring. of course there are enough new bows to make your eyes hurt reading about them all but my question is about the cams. I have heard that dual cams are better and that a single cam causes the arrow to move up or down from the rest and that with a dual cam the arrow draws straight back and never changes alignment from the rest and provides better accuracy. I am not a bow expert in any way and want to go with the better option if there is one.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: single cam or dual cam?

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 am

This is a tough one. I am a single cam shooter. I shoot a drop away so I can say much about the movement of the arrow off the rest. I can say that I haven't had to retune or resight my bow in 2 years and I should about 50 arrows a week all year long. I have heard (no experience with) that dual cams are harder to keep in tune because you have to have your cams in time with one another. Hoyt/Bowtech people will say shoot dual cam. Mathews people will say shoot single cam. I say test as many bows as you can and pick the one that fits you.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:I say test as many bows as you can and pick the one that fits you.

They all feel basically the same to me, But again I am not a bigtime bow guy like I am with shotguns. to be honest without looking I could not tell you if my 10yo bear is single or dual cam. :lol3: Thanks for the input. Where are all of the bow experts :huh: I know someone knows about this. I have never heard about the "tuning" of dual cams on a bow. if they are machined properly and all the pin holes are in the correct place, how would it get out of tune?

Thanks
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 1080tommy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:52 pm

This is a good question. I have done some research on this topic seeing as though I was in the market for a new bow. I opted for a Hoyt Spyder 30. There are some differences in the operations of each one cam, cam and a half for hybrid cam, or two cam bows. Of course most people have heard and know that two cam bows can be hard to time because the cam must be in synchronization. However, cam bows albeit cam and a half or dual cam bows have some advantages over their single cam cousins. For example, two cam bows have straighter noc travel and often are capable of storing more energy that single cam bows. This is why they are often faster than single cam bows. With straighter noc travel comes greater accuracy but the fast speed often also lends itself to being more unforgiving on the shot. Single cam bows while not quite as fast because of the way energy is stored in the limbs and one cam system also have some advantages over the dual cam bow. A single cam bow is more simple and more easily tuned while also being more forgiving on the shot. Now many things come into play such as brace height and draw length when it comes to forgiveness and speed. I have shot both and used to shoot a single cam bow but now with advances in technology, I opted for a dual cam bow. I really like the way the bow shot and it was really fast and noticeablly faster than it's top of the line single cam cousins. Moreover, both designs will shoot accurate and fast especially with the advances bow companies have made so just go and shoot a bunch of bows and choose the one that feels right to you. Hope this helps and I swear I think I found the end of the internet while researching for my new bow. Just figured as one person stated you are looking at about a 1000 for bow and 4-5 hundred for accessories so I wanted to have all the info I could gather. Hope this helped a bit and just my opinions on what I have read over that last few months. Good luck and I hope you find a good bow.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm

[quote="1080tommy"]This is a good question. I have done some research on this topic seeing as though I was in the market for a new bow. I opted for a Hoyt Spyder 30. I have shot both and used to shoot a single cam bow but now with advances in technology, I opted for a dual cam bow. I really like the way the bow shot and it was really fast and noticeablly faster than it's top of the line single cam cousins. Moreover, both designs will shoot accurate and fast especially with the advances bow companies have made so just go and shoot a bunch of bows and choose the one that feels right to you. Hope this helps and I swear I think I found the end of the internet while researching for my new bow. quote]

I beg to differ a bit. Yes dual cam bows are generally fast than single cams, but most top of the line single cam bows out there are shooting just as fast or faster than your Spyder 30.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 pm

I agree that speeds are somewhat close on all bows at this time however; if you look at chrono of the hoyt vector, carbon element, spider, and mathtews creed setup for true IBO speeds you will find the double cam bows are faster however; I do not think someone should by a bow solely on speed alone. Also, when we are talking faster it is only negligible and I think setup at 30" draw, 400 grain arrow, and 70lbs the Hoyt Vector actually outshot the Creed, Spyder, or Carbon Element. I think the difference was the Creed was 285-288fps whereas the Vector was at 309 and the Spyder was 301. Not enough to make a huge difference and they will all kill game as good as the other. I shot the Heli-m, and Creed and just did not seem to fit the bows and the Spyder just seemed to be balanced right, and shot well. This is only for me. I am not knocking the Mathews lineup at all and I think they make a great bow. I was set on a Creed or Carbon Element and the Spyder won out not because of its speed, but how it felt while holding at full draw, lack of hand shock on the shot, and smoothness throughout the draw cycle. I am not a brand specific person and think all of these bows have something to offer just for me the Spyder did the trick.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 pm

True..I am Mathews fan and I was not too impressed with the line up this year. I shoot an a 2010 Z7 and absolutely love it. I shoot a 385 grain arrow at 301 on the chrono. I may consider a dual cam in 10 years when I am looking for a new one.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 pm

I believe the place had a Z7 and I did not shoot that one. I did like the Heli-m and thought that was a very nice bow. Felt good on the shot and had a smooth draw cycle. From what I can see, Mathews makes a quality product and the Creed just felt weird with the big cam and idler wheel. As with everything with bows or anything else, you hit the nail on the head in your previous post when you said just shoot a bunch and go with what feels good. I hope mine lasts 10 years because these new bows are a pretty big investment if you purchase a flagship bow of any kind for sure.
1080tommy
hunter

Return to Archery