how fast does my bow need to be??

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:The average shot quoted by bowhunting surveys was said to be about 10 yards. At 300 FPS you can just about shoot any weight arrow you want and have killing KE. I like to go heavy as at 15 yards I gets lots of KE and little drop off.

Do you actually shoot 40 to 50 yards with your bow? Every guy I have ever talked to shooting those yardages has wouded deer from string jumps and just deer moving at the shot release.

I am lucky. I make all my own bows and arrows. I like to make deflexed bows that only have 10 pounds or less at brace height. That leaves very little energy left in the bow for noise. I do not use string silencer and have still had people comment on how quite my bows are. The only thing animal hear is the arrow hitting the ground. plus my bows only weight about 4 or 5 ounces.

Although I do a few arrows with high fletching for very close shots as they stabilize the arrow from archers paradox very fast. My bows are old shool and are not center shot like compound risers are design now.

ive shot them out to around 37 yds (even though i would prefer a 15 or 20 lol). but i know if i needed to make a 40 or 45 yd. shot i could. i shoot compound not recurve. some of the guys i hunt with have made out to 52 yd shots on deer. they've also missed 50 yd. shots. then again, i know people who have missed 12 yd. shots. there is a trick to long distance shots. first of all you have to be just as comfortable at 40 yd as you are at 20. and if the animal suspects somethings up or is moving DONT MAKE THE SHOT. at 50 yds. a spooked deer can jump even the fastest bow. as far as silencers, they are a must on my setup. especially long shots. you need that quiet shot. hats off to the recurve shooters. theres something about a more primitive bow that makes a kill even that much more rewarding. :wink:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:48 am

Here is my bows Greenhead grapple.

All wooden Indian style bows.

My hand made arrows
Image[/url]
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:51 am

they look great! but are completely opposite of mine lol.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Archery