ducks with a bow?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

ducks with a bow?

Postby Cashman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:47 pm

There is this beaver pond on this march I own, and there is a bunch of deer and ducks both using it at the same time. It's pretty small ( about 20 square foot), so I was wondering if it is possible to shoot a duck off the pond with my bow while I was waiting for a deer to come? Would the arrow go completly through the duck? Just an idea I had today.
Some things are like wiping before pooping, they just don't make any sense.
Cashman
hunter

Postby titangoober » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:45 pm

i have seen it done on hunting vids would imagine it to be quite difficult.but can be done but not with deer hunting broadheads there are special tips for that.beter check with local game manament office first .and yes it will go through the duck .
titangoober
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:13 pm

:withstupid: If you were in a stand it would be great.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby BurnZ » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:04 am

Its leagal in MN so i would guess its leagal in WI. and yes you do need a different tip. Here's a couple that would work.

G5 Small Game

Judo Point

I bought some of the g5's and shot a couple squirrals out of my stand this year. They worked great.
"Alcohol..... the cause and AND solution to all of lifes problems" ......... Homer Simpson
BurnZ
hunter

Postby Cashman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:16 pm

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to try it out soon.
Cashman
hunter

Postby titangoober » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:51 pm

cashman is that you jumping dirtbike ? i have been riding amature motocross since 99 here in fl. lots of places to ride.my username titan-goober cause of titanium rods in my back.just curius :cool:
titangoober
hunter

Postby Cashman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:26 pm

That's not me, it's just a picture that was on my computer. I do ride my dirt bike over some jumps once in a while though.
Cashman
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:30 am

I'd put out a couple of dekes and let em land then bang through both wings and the back or better through the head, make sure your arrows float! good luck
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 am

I shot a big drake mallard here at work a few weeks ago with my bow. I snuck up on the little pond to twenty five yards out as I'm pulling back the mallard climbs out of the water and is standing on the opposite shore. I think to myself perfect. I won't have to get wet getting the bird or arrow. I steadied my aim and released, I smacked that bird as hard as a bird could get hit and it flew off with the rest of the flock. I kept an eye on it waiting for it to fall, but it vanished into the distance with the rest of the birds. When I investigated, I lost my arrow and found a huge pile of feathers and blood.

I had mixed feelings very excited to say I shot a duck with my bow, but disgusted to know I wounded an animal and couldn't do nothing to finish the job. I was expecting my arrow to stick that bird to the bank, boy was I wrong.

My advice is to try and take the wings out or head shot.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby EMR2LK » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:33 am

I've shot them with my Bow its fun. Some will fly, depends on how they are hit. Get a "guliatine" I think that is how its spelled. It's a special braud head for turkeys, and aim for their head. it will cut it off. :thumbsup:
EMR2LK
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 pm

I've heard about that guillitin. That sounds awesome! Next year my turkey will definetly be killed with that thing! :salude: :salude: :salude:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:39 pm

If I were to do it I would use a blunt tip or a snarro bird point.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Duckmaster44 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:37 am

i use my bow fishin rig. hit um then just reel um in
Dirty South Outdoors
Duckmaster44
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:50 pm

if it works for turkeys it oughta work for ducks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVKCfrKwWw
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:06 pm

I've been shooting ducks for 30 years with my bow. I use a 40# re- curve with ceder arrows. With the light poundage the arrow doesn't usually go through. I use small game getter heads and they work well. I have a pond that has a good dyke around 3 sides. I just sneek up, have a peek and go from there.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 am

i use my bow fishin rig. hit um then just reel um in

I have considered this so many times. If they landed and the draw didn't spook 'em you'd be in business. Plus you wouldn't be putting tons of money into steel shot. Just reel em in on the same arrow.

Might be more difficult for passing shots. I'm sure someone out there can do it, but that man is not me.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby deke freak » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:51 pm

deke freak
hunter

Postby deke freak » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:52 pm

i guess spooner does too
deke freak
hunter

Postby 2 labs Rdy 2 Hunt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 pm

If you are going to shoot them on the water or ground, just make sure to use a judo tip. We shoot grouse with them every year while deer/elk hunting. Way more effective than a broadhead, and easier to carry in your quiver than a guillotine tip. Everyone in our hunting party carries at least one judo tip in our quiver.

Now if you are going to specifically target birds and only carry arrows for birds, IMHO the only tip to use is a "Snaro". Just as effective on head shots as a guillotine and better for body/wing shots. Cabella's sells them. They just don't fit in an ordinary quiver and are really only made for birds.
The only reason to work is for funds to buy toys.
2 labs Rdy 2 Hunt
hunter

Return to Archery