Lightest, Fastest, Quietist??

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Lightest, Fastest, Quietist??

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:38 pm

Allright.....the hardest question: What bow is the fastest, lightest, and quitest shooting.
Shoulda made a poll, but too lazy to do so. :yes:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:44 pm

Was it something I said? :mrgreen:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:54 am

My bows are lighter and quieter than all the compounds you guys use. My bow is only about 6 ounches since it's all wood and very quite but not nearly as fast as compounds.

You do not need any more speed. Deer die very dead with a bow like mine shooting 168 FPS with a 625 grain arrow.

If you want quite you need to move up to heavier arrows. Sound energy is created from energy that is not transfered to the bow. Compounds are so fast since they store so much energy but they can not transfer all of that energy because the limbs can not move far enough to release that energy. Excess energy stored at brace height can not be released to the arrow, but will make sound energy. Belive me as i have designed and built a ton of wooden bows. I design them to only hold 20 pounds or less at draw height and they are almost silent.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby paulmuz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:23 pm

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: mathews :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
paulmuz
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:11 pm

See, fastest and quietest can be achieved in many different ways. The Lightest on the other hand i believe is the High Country TSSR weighing in at 2.8lbs. The quietest would be an Alpine Stealth or the Hoyt Vor tec according to the Outdoor Life Sound chamber test. as far as speed goes, whats it matter if you cant pull the bow back?
Doug

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:41 pm

my bowtech alligance is 282 fps (avg. of ten shots) w/ a 27 inch draw w/ easton axis FMJ 400 and its as quiet as my mathews and no more recoil. i swore when bowtech came on the market i would never own one. ive been shooting since i was 3 so for 20 years now and guess what. i have a bow tech. although im shooting traditional alot now andthats pretty quiet but speed is way down haha
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack,

:thumbsup:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:29 pm

dude, whats w/ all the quacking?! am i missing something?
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:39 pm

skybuster20ga wrote:dude, whats w/ all the quacking?! am i missing something?

.........perhaps....??..??..??

:cool:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:59 pm

I agree with CnC, I shoot a recurve. and love it. The compounds today
are all too complex and heavy. well placed arrows with sharp broadheads
are what kills, not speed. Mankind has won wars and fed himself for
thousands of years using simple equipment. I think more people would
really enjoy stick bows if they gave it a try, although they arent for everyone. As for light and quiet nothing can compare!
muddydog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:56 pm

well PERHAPS your screen name says it all huh!?
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Hey Muddydog, I'm shootin' osage selfbows here. :thumbsup:

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby muddydog » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Hey cupped -n - committed pm sent.
muddydog
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:00 pm

A buddy just bought the bowtech made for sportsmans wharehouse.....I gotta say for around 500 dollars I would take that over the Switchback XT anyday. The only thing I heard when we were sighting it in was the arrow hitting the block. And light? Holy crap!

But, his lethal range doesn't even start to compare with my xbow :cool:
Can you say 100 yards kill shot ?.....or how about silver dollar patterns at 75 yards?

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with CnC, I shoot a recurve. and love it. The compounds today
are all too complex and heavy. well placed arrows with sharp broadheads
are what kills, not speed. Mankind has won wars and fed himself for
thousands of years using simple equipment.

I mostly agree with this, but pass throughs are what give good blood trails, and make for more quality kills. Not easy with a recurve. This is probably the only thing I dissagree with Tred on :smile:

I understand how fun they are, and the purity that they offer, but bottom line is your not gonna get the blood trail that a pass through gives you....it is a matter of conservation for me....give me the speed and power so I can down game more effciently.

-Jason
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Postby muddydog » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:06 pm

I agree with you about pass thrus being more efficient, bowhunting is
something Ive been doing since the 1970:s, I also believe that even if
you can shoot accurately out to 100Yds, with a bow, it just isnt ethical
to take a shot at game that far.An animal can move a great distance
turning a good shot into a bad one! Bowhunting is a close sport. Target archery is another. By the way I can shoot Hi Tec stuff too. I just like the simplicity of a recuve. 200 fps in the boiler beats 320 fps over the back any day. My recurve is 70 lbs, and has shot thru everthing I shoot. :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:45 am

Quackattaq wrote:I mostly agree with this, but pass throughs are what give good blood trails, and make for more quality kills. Not easy with a recurve. ...

I shoot selfbows, which is a step down from a recurve for any one that does not know what they are. They are an all wood bow made from one piece of wood split out from a tree. I can garentee you that my bow will pass through the chest of any deer and a recurve will do it also.

Compound bows are so popular becuase you can pick them up a week before bow season and be killing next week.

Guys always say speed kills. Not true. Kenetic Energy (KE) is what kills and speed is a factor in KE. Lighter and faster is not alwasy better. It just gives a flatter tragectory for aiming.

My 55 pound bow shooting a 600 grain arrow will deliver 34.12 pound of KE to the target.

A recurve at 200 FPS and a 550 grain arrow will deliver 48.86 pounds of KE.

A counpound shooting 300 FPS with a 300 grain arrow will deliver 59.97 pounds of KE.

Now my bow will punch through a chest cavity at 34 lbs but the recurve is some how not do the job? You have to stop listening to the hype put out by store owners and manufactures wanting to sell you a new bow.

I have a KE calculator on excel if anyone wants it. It will tell you the KE for your bow if you know the arrow grains the the FPS pushing that weight arrow. PM me your e-mail if you want it.

Tuning is hugely important for pass through shots. An arrow still in paradox or porposing will cause heavy friction and can cause a failure to pass through. Mechanical Broad heads also create huge frictions and can make failures to pass through even though they do large damage to the interior. Try pushing one of those through a rib while it's open.

I have spent 15 years building my own bows from trees and arrows from shoots growing wild. I know all the physics that goes into making a killing shoot from what ever type of bow you use, as I have used them all. I just found that killing deer at 7 to 15 yards as any good bow hunter should be able to do. It is so easy that the choice of bow does not matter.

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Mathews Drenalin

Postby bostonredsoxpitcher13 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 am

just bought one, its amazing, weighs in the neighborhood of 3.74 pounds,,, 320 IBO speed,,, ive got mine set up with 30" draw and 70 pound pull and im shooting right at 300 fps. I have a Limbsaver stabilizer and thats the only dampener i needed. its that quiet.
bostonredsoxpitcher13
Newb

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:43 am

im gonna go ahead and throw it out there. Elite. it may not be the lightest but its fast and quiet. i think the fastest is the PSE. mathews gets my vote for quiet though. bowtech in that race too.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Return to Archery