Duck Hunting Forum banner

LONGEST BOW KILL?

6K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Cupped-n-Committed 
#1 ·
JUST LAST WEEK I SHOT A DOE AT 61 YARDS!!!! BEFORE THAT SHOT THE LONGEST WAS 44 YARDS. I SHOOT A BOWTECH PATRIOT DUALLY. I USE 1 PIN FOR 10-40 ,THEN 1 AT 50,AND 1 AT 60. THE FASTEST BOW I EVER SHOT 312 FPS WITH A GOLDTIP HUNTER!
PS. THE DOE ONLY RAN 30 YARDS.

#2 ·
Well some arn't gonna think thats to cool but if you know your bow and how well you can shoot at that range then good on ya. My longest is only 25 yards but I enjoy letting them get in close, i'll wait till gun season to do all the long shootin. OH I shoot a Bowtech Patriot too. Love it and :welcome: to DHC.

#3 ·
I have taken a 45 yard shot. The buck went about 60 yards and bedded down. I usually don't condone long shots. They are "iffy" at best. Alot can happen past 50 yards.

#4 ·
I feel very comfortable out to fifty yards. I shoot that in my yard all summer long. Most shots I've taken are generally under that range, but the longest I've shot was a 70 yard shot. Not to proud of it but I did get the buck. To this day its the biggest buck I've ever taken with my bow or rifle.

#5 ·
LAredneck said:
Well some arn't gonna think thats to cool but if you know your bow and how well you can shoot at that range then good on ya. My longest is only 25 yards but I enjoy letting them get in close, i'll wait till gun season to do all the long shootin. OH I shoot a Bowtech Patriot too. Love it and :welcome: to DHC.
:withstupid: only I dont shoot a patriot. Short bows are for girls. :laughing:

#7 ·
smackaduck said:
LAredneck said:
:withstupid: only I dont shoot a patriot. Short bows are for girls. :laughing:
Guess thats why it took you how long to get a big boys truck :yes:

#9 ·
Deer can move after hearing the bow string slap causing a wound instead of a kill.

You should setup close to their trails. I have heard many a bow hunter learn the hard way with gut shot deer not to take a long shot.

Take your time and make a good ethical shot.

#10 ·
Archery used to be about getting close what happened to that! I took one shot at 50 yards, and things went bad right away, on a huge bull elk. Adrenaline, holding full draw too long, and pressure to file my tag, not to mention it was one of the biggest bulls I had ever seen.
I dont make excuses for what I did, I learned from it, at 3D I'll shot 45-70 for fun, but in the woods "FOR ME 30 and closer no if, ands, or buts period". since then all my shots have been inside 20 yards, furthest on a white tail was 12 yards, this years bull was 8.
Just be carefull

#11 ·
I use a recurve and to me archery is about getting close. I try to get at least 25 yds. and shoot at a relaxed animal. I have made some impressive long shots on 3D targets, but think about ethics when shooting at game animals. Even at close range bad things can still happen even
if you do everything right.

#12 ·
I am 20 yrs old and i have been shooting all my life. My grandfather gave me his old fred bear recurve. I had never been into hunting until i went and sat in a duck blind with a few of my friends. Well this year my trusty old bow was to contorted to restring. :thumbsdown: so i had to get a new bow.

I got a PSE and decided to give deerhunting a try. Me as a first year, with no experience and no one to mentor from, got my first deer. It was a 12 pointer from a 12 ft stand. I had just looked for tracks and scrapes and got the deer within 10 yards.

I would hate, for the deers sake to try a shot past 50 yards, to much could happen and you could end up killing the deer slowly, or just wounding it.

#13 ·
dtgiacomini said:
... Well this year my trusty old bow was to contorted to restring. :thumbsdown: so i had to get a new bow.
I hope you still have it. I bought a Freb Bear Black Bear at a yard sale for $10 years ago. Some one left it out and the recurve twisted to the side. I strung it and left it that way for 3 days at a time. Every time I saw it I would twist it back toward normal. Release it after 3 days and left it rest for a day and do it again. It went back and help it shape after a week or two. I went and killed my first archery deer with that bow.

#14 ·
LAredneck said:
Youthhunter said:
A long shot with a bow isn't something to brag about.
Cupped-n-Committed said:
Deer can move after hearing the bow string slap causing a wound instead of a kill.

You should setup close to their trails. I have heard many a bow hunter learn the hard way with gut shot deer not to take a long shot.

Take your time and make a good ethical shot.
I love the close shots in archery. However, I can still take pride in a well placed long one too. This past year I killed a SMALL doe at 64yds, and a 23.5lb tom at 42 yards...One Shot each, no string jump, no BS. Both on video as a matter of fact. Perfect shot placement and the doe, she bled like crazy in the 25 yards she ran. The turkey died less than 15 yards from where I shot him. It's all about practice. With the new bows and technology there's no reason you can't be highly lethal out to 60. I shoot 70lbs on a Mat. Switchback w/ a spot-hogg hogg-it .019 pins, and a 380grain arow. I blew through both animials like butter. I'm not saying long shot's are the right for everyone to try. A lot of people I know that bash long shots on DHC because "it's not ethical", can't hit a paper plate at 30, because they shoot three times before season opener. I shoot indoor and outdoor league and tournaments when I can. If you can group consistently what's the problem? I practice out to 90 . Would never shoot to kill that far, but a 12 inch group at 90 is easy to make into 4" at 60. I'm as confident I can make a clean kill at 60 as I am 20. If you've practiced and rightfully have the confidence to take a long shot, I wouldn't hesitate a second.

#15 ·
MotoStar929rr said:
I practice out to 90 . Would never shoot to kill that far...
Why not? you just stated your so damn good with that thing you could knock a fly off a stick at 50 yards.

I have been shooting a bow for 30 years. I have wounded and lost animals. You must lucky so far. Animals can move so fast. It is amazing how fast reaction times are in a deer or other animals reflexes.

My last comment would be. If you pattern the animals, you should be able to kill them in under 10 yards from your blind or stand. I can kill anything at a trot with in 15 yards with my selfbow and practice on rolling balls in my yard. Once you go over 30 yards I choose not to take the shot. Too many variables are involved. Even a small twig can change a kill to a wound. Been there and done that. I even have my lab trained to run scents and to the search command to find any wounded deer. Luckily I have had none since his arival.

Your time will come and you will be out tracking in the dark on a gut shot. Keep pushing the envelope and you will be there sooner rather than later. Take it from experience that animals wound rather easy when your full of your shooting expertise. I have seen great target archers wound deer at 20 yards because they moved or jumped and practice has nothing to do with it. Practice can not control the animal you are hunting.

#18 ·
I dont know this as fact but the speed of sound is around 1150 fps I think.
The fast compounds are about 320 fps. There is alot of room there for a good shot to go bad. I currently shoot a recurve bow but Ive shot hi tech
stuff as well and think that any archery shot past 40 yds. is unethical.
I too have shot bows for about 30 years and see alot of people taking
risky shots. I can hit 3d targets all day at 50 yds. But wouldnt dream of shooting an animal that far. If you must use a gun. Keep um close its more fun and effective.

#19 ·
Cupped-n-Committed said:
MotoStar929rr said:
I practice out to 90 . Would never shoot to kill that far...
Why not? you just stated your so damn good with that thing you could knock a fly off a stick at 50 yards....

Keep pushing the envelope and you will be there sooner rather than later. Take it from experience that animals wound rather easy when your full of your shooting expertise. I have seen great target archers wound deer at 20 yards because they moved or jumped and practice has nothing to do with it. ..
I never said that I could knock a fly off a stick at 50. Did I? :huh: Right...

And, BTW I'm not a target archer, I've seen it happen like what you're talkling about, some idiot shot a backtension to hunt with and missed a 160" buck at 20yds. I am a hunter, and only shoot target to be a better shot in the field. And yeah, I've missed and wounded my share of deer and animals w/ a bow...and they were close! I hated the feeling I got so I practiced like crazy to make sure it didn't happen again. It's a game of odds, practicing from longer distances gives me confidence in the field. The better you are at the practice range just gives you that much better odds in field.

You've surely been closed minded for a long time, I'm sure I'm probably just confusing you with the facts...

PS I'd never shoot to kill with archery YOU made over 30 yards either... :rofl:

#20 ·
woodduckhunter said:
I bet most of you robin hoods sky blast at ducks and geese also.
Nope, actually, I'd like to land em or get em 20 yards or <, otherwise I won't call the shot. I shoot 12 ga 2-3/4. Rather see their head roll back than their wing break and flounder to the water. I do watch a lot of people do it at the public areas and it's not right.
I don't mean to come across as some cocky or arrogant robinhoood. It's apparently wrong to be confident. Just speaking from MY experience. I do like to pattern animals, and kill em close, it's why I enjoy bowhunting. With nothing but a diaphragm and no decoys it's hard to lure a turkey in closer than the 40 he gave me. Never seen turkeys in that spot before, they're hard to pattern here close to town, so many places they go from day to day. And the doe was in a wide open field. Silly Woody... :no:

#21 ·
I meant that jokingly. I have bow hunted before and always got or tried to get them within 35 yds. I could understand out to 50, but some were saying they made clean kills out to 70-75 yds. Most I have talked to in person said they did it to see if they could do it. IMO, you do not do things just to see if you could do it on real animals. What if someone hit you in the back of the head with a baseball bat just to see if it would knock you out?

#22 ·
woodduckhunter said:
I meant that jokingly. I have bow hunted before and always got or tried to get them within 35 yds. I could understand out to 50, but some were saying they made clean kills out to 70-75 yds. Most I have talked to in person said they did it to see if they could do it. IMO, you do not do things just to see if you could do it on real animals. What if someone hit you in the back of the head with a baseball bat just to see if it would knock you out?
It's all good :biggrin: I'm not in it to see if it can be done. If there's much of a cross wind or a doubt at all, I'll hold off. I'm w/ you on the trying to see if it can be done theory. I feel it's wrong. Oh and if they hit me in the back of the head, they'd probably be stupid enough to get up and try it again. :rofl: No really I see what you're saying.

#23 ·
muddydog said:
I dont know this as fact but the speed of sound is around 1150 fps I think.
The fast compounds are about 320 fps. There is alot of room there for a good shot to go bad. I currently shoot a recurve bow but Ive shot hi tech
stuff as well and think that any archery shot past 40 yds. is unethical.
I too have shot bows for about 30 years and see alot of people taking
risky shots. I can hit 3d targets all day at 50 yds. But wouldnt dream of shooting an animal that far. If you must use a gun. Keep um close its more fun and effective.
You're correct the speed of sound is around 1116fps. And yes they can jump a string. The technology I was speaking of, yes, was the speed, but too, also the quiet and noise dampening of the new bows. I never fully realized how very quiet newer bows are till an outdoor tourney where 2 targets opposed each other about 30yards aprt. I never could hear the bow. Granite my ears are not like a deer's, but I think the quieter bows are much less likely to startle a deer espec. at 40 plus. My bow shoots 292fps off the string. Even if the arrow was traveling a modest 240fps the whole flight, at 60 the deer has .53sec from hearing the shot to register the noise and move far enough to result in a miss or wound. At 40 it's right around .39 sec. just my $.02 Obey your conscience if it's unethical for you, you don't do it. If I wound a deer or miss at a distance I'll reconsider for sure

#25 ·
Most of us archers have seen new archers wound game and experienced archers get too full of their shooting abilities and wound game.

I think the problem with compounds is they are too easy to pick up and learn. A guy can get into a shop and drop some cash and get the right setup and be grouping at 2" at 30 yards in a week if he has a steady hand. But then they do not understand the physics of archery and how easy things can go wrong. Then they get frustrated because they can not scout well enough or are too lazy to scout enough to get close to game. We waterfowlers take scouting as a fact of life. If you do not scout waterfowl, you do not shoot waterfowl! Most all gun deer hunters do not think like that. they park their butt next to a tree and hope for a deer.

Now you maybe really good with that bow and able to hit long shots. But that .5 seconds you explain can make a heart shot into a gut shot if they jump the string. I got a quartering to shot and missed the vitals on just a slight move from that doe once. I got the liver and gut. I ended up lossing that one and feeding the yotes. Only 20 yards but a low percentage shot went bad real fast. It's one of those don't try what I did things.

Many archers get frustrated seeing guys like you glorify long distance or low percentage shots. Then the new guys try them and wound game. You may be able to pull it off, but many can not and should not try too. we would rather see you brag about knocking a beer can off a fence post at 75 yards than 50 yard game shots. No matter how good you are and how fast they bow is anything at 50 yards or more is a low precentage shot to get a good kill shot.

Tell me you have never found an extra stick that got into your shooting lane some how? I missed a doe one time. just barely with God's help. She came by at 15 yards and a little tip of a longer stick was hanging down into my shooting lane that I did not notice. The arrow hit that stick and veared left fast and just missed her tail. Then I see a stick swinging back and forth as she runs off. That was a close shot that got horribly wrong fast and luckily the deer was not wounded.

Close shots, Close shots, Close shots. It's all about ethics, not who get the most or the longest kills. The best bow hunter kills deer right under his tree stand or right next to his ground blind. you want a rush. try drawing on a deer at 3 yards. :hammer: Your heart will be in your throat. :thumbsup:

#26 ·
CNC, You're right, most shouldn't try the shots and btw, I certainly would prefer the 3yd over the 64yd shot. All my long shots have been either in a field or from the edge of timber into an open field. Other than my 64 and 42 yd. shot every shot I've taken was less than 30. I film outdoor videos and have seen what you speak of " the hidden limb". Haven't experienced it personally yet , but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I try to trim good shooting lanes without blowing all my cover. tough sometimes...

I get the impression you truly bowhunt and are real. Some of those that are critical of the long shot seem to jump on the band wagon just because they read someone elses reply. I respect you're feelings and convictions. I think to a degree an ethical shot can be closer for one, and further for another. Nice to live in a place where we can agree to disagree. :smile: Good luck with the bows and hunting.

PS Got the mud motor engine bolted to the frame and just have a housing to finish turning and I'll be ready to weld the frame up. Getting so close I can taste it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.