My first recurve, Now I need help.

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

My first recurve, Now I need help.

Postby FreedomHunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:21 pm

So my wife decided to buy me a recurve bow for early X-mas and B-day present because I have been doing so much research. I wanted a Fred Bear Grizzly between 45-50 lbs. So today we loaded up the kidos and headed to Bass Pro. I made my way to the archery department to find the only had Super Kodiaks in 50 lbs. This was a little more than I wanted to spend but the guy let me shoot it and man I could not believe how smooth and quiet it was. Long story short the bow is now mine.

Now for the help. I shot over 150 arrows today and the majority were high right. My fingers feel as if they are going to bleed and my arm has a really nice bruise from the string, but I am still hooked. Now I figured out that I was aiming with peripheral vision and was trying to line things up instinctively that way which was producing high right. I am now hitting around the center diamond on my target at 7 yards with around 4 inch groups. Remember this is my first day.

What I want to know is how should my shots be for hunting and what distance. I want to be confident at least at 15 yards but what should my groups be like? How do you prepare for your hunting season when using traditional? Are you stacking arrows or does the paper plate rule come into affect? Please tell me what you know.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: My first recurve, Now I need help.

Postby yz450f » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Welcome to the addiction. To answer your question for me the range is 18 yards. I know others that can shoot much farther but with a busy life I just do not practice enough get beyond that range. The groups match the “plate rule” you mentioned.
I shoot completely instinctive so its just draw anchor and shoot. I may attempt gap shooting one day to increase my range but for now its instinctive.
You should not have the sting hitting your left arm. Check your brace height. New strings stretch and its not uncommon to need to adjust the brace height in the break in period. Enjoy! That is an awesome bow.
yz450f
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I'll assume you were not using a glove or tab with your finger hurting like that. You should practice how ever you will be shooting for hunting. If bare fingered keep your glove off hunting and bare right hand in your jacket until ready to shoot at a deer. Your finger hurt because they are not used to shooting. Shoot less at each time out and shoot every day and the fingers will be tougher in two weeks and you will be fine.

You state shooting instinctive but talk about lining it up, which is gap shooting. Instinctive is like throwing a baseball. Its eye hand coordination that you have to develop over time. It takes longer to learn than gap shooting but works better, IMO. Gap shooting is one eye like a rifle and instinctive is both eyes open. I could hit a rabbit at 30 yards as a kid more times than not. Got cocky one day as a kid and figured I could hit swallows flying and lost half my arrows. :tongue:

Start at ten yards and move the target out farther as you get more confident. Once you get that get blunt arrows and a ball and shoot at varying distances to improve your range judgement skills. Welcome to your new addiction. :hi:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby term » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 am

Good for you. Getting a recurve. Go to trad gang.com very good site for information and a lot of video help as well. Feel free to contact me. And I will give you all the help I can.
term
hunter

Return to Archery