good bow for the money?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

good bow for the money?

Postby water_swatter01 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:12 am

I am just getting into archery. I have been shooting an old Browning, and I think I should upgrade. Any suggestions? :help:
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:20 pm

Couldn't be a more open question, do you have a price range in mind? A lot of it is personal opinion and feel. Some guys like a smaller bow for weight and mobility, others say a longer bow is harder to aim. Then there is the whole confusion about what system is better. Right now, everyone but Hoyt is pretty much copying the Mathews designs. I am not a big fan of Hoyt's but plenty of people are. If I were to upgrade right now, it would most likely be to a Bowtech, but they are on the pricier side. If money is a limitation, I think the best value in bows are PSE's or a Diamond, which is owned by Bowtech.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:28 pm

I am looking for a compound around $400-$500.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby BUB ERWIN » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:35 pm

I really enjoy my Parker bow. I believe you can get the Phenix in that price range, but I also love bowtechs. Check them out!
HOW THE *#%$ DID WE MISS THOSE DUCKS
BUB ERWIN
Newb

Postby water_swatter01 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna get a bowtech. :hammer:
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 pm

bowtech is great. im eyein the allegiance myself.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby mattm25tx » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm

bowtech tomcat I just got one and really like it I think I paid $600 fully rigged but needed to be upgraded as with any package bow. But It is very light and accurate I robin hooded a arrow on my 2nd shot after I put a new sight on it.
Matts Mobile Marine Service

If your not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room
mattm25tx
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 pm

ide go shoot every bow i could get my hands on in your price range. for a beginer ide look for a tall brace hight. and maybe a little longer axel to axel as it will be more forgiven to the beginner also. i shoot a bowtech aliegance now and i will tell you that it is NOT an easy bow to shoot for someone who hasnt been shooting long. its much like mathews lx was. short brace, med. legnth. very finicky to form. ide recomend an AR which is pse. i like the ross and parkers but i dont like the grip. you might lover it so try it. another bow thats easy to shoot is the switch back and the outback by mathews although i shot mathews for 11 years and woulfdnt ever again. had much success and won many tournies but the single cam bows are not all they are cracked up to be.i strongly recomend the AR 34. check it out. good luck
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby mjl927 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:14 am

I used a PSE Thunderbolt for many years. Two years ago I bought a Hoyt Razortech. I almost bought the Matthews Switchback. It felt great and shot great but in the end, the Hoyt seemed to fit me a little better. The Bowtechs I tried felt a little harsh to me.

If I were to buy one today however, I would look hard at the Reflex bows. They are pretty much the exact same thing as the Hoyts. Stands to reason since Hoyt is the parent company! In fact, I'm somewhat mad at myself for spending more money on the Hoyt Razortech when the Reflex Ridgeline is basically the same bow for a little less.
There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes!
mjl927
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:05 pm

theres slight diferences in the reflex line and the hoyt line, hoyts a factory strung w/ winners choice where reflex i dont believe is. the hoyt line has a more solid back wall. small subtlties like that but yer right its funny how the price changes w/ the name. like mathews pay waay to much for them and they have many many many faults. the bowtechs are a very finicy bow as a rule. though they have improved but you need to be very competent in your shootingh and ability to adjust YOURSELF for differnt things but im probably getting into things this fella doesnt need to concern himself w/ just yet.
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby dcduckhunt » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:52 am

I own a alpine frontier. I would recomend it if you were looking for a inexpensive and accurate compound bow. :thumbsup:
dcduckhunt
hunter

Return to Archery