Opener this weekend!

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Opener this weekend!

Postby dukkilr6 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am

Wow guys, its already our bow opener this Saturday here in Minnesota. I've hunted pretty hard for the last three years with the bow and haven't taken one yet. I never seem to have any problems during rifle season, and kill atleast one every year within bow range. But for some reason I just never get a close shot during bow season. I purchased a ground blind this year and hope that will help. If anybody has any early season tips they would like to share I'm all ears.

thanks in advance

Chuck
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:37 pm

i got a ground blind last year. havent shot anything out of it yet, but a ground blind is more of a challenge than the treestand. i have pretty good luck on seeing deer, its the killing part i have trouble with. i had a 10 pt. come within 15 yds last season and then spook. that would have been my biggest one yet! i cant wait for bow season here to start.

tips: stay with the feeding areas, thats where they are early season before the rut. use a lot of cover scent in the hotter part of the season (especially in that ground blind)

your last name wouldnt happen to be adams would it? :lol:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:37 am

I have hunted ground blinds for years and here si my advice.

build a natural one or several natural ones. make high cover to hide your bow draw.

If you have multiflora rose in your area or something really thick. Cut a path right through the middle of it and build your blind 10 yards from either side on one on both sides. I learn this after every time I cut a new trail the deer started using them.

It's almost too easy.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:41 am

Greenhead Grappler wrote:... use a lot of cover scent in the hotter part of the season (especially in that ground blind)

I have stopped using cover scent except when the wind is not blowing. Do not cross their trails and hunt on the down wind side of the trails and you'll just slaughter them.

i know guys that put out a dirty used sweaty tee shirt at their stand every week. Change it every week with a new sweaty tee shirt and no cover scent is needed. They expect your stink to be there after that. It takes a month to get them used to it but it works.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:40 am

I have never hunted deer out of a ground blind, though I might suggest you move your stands a bit if they aren't getting close enough.
Are the deer always at the same approximate distance when you have hunted them? (from any given stand)
Again, my guess is you could move the stand, but then a blind will be an advantage in getting closer.
I wish you the best this weekend, I'll be out throwing sticks at 'em myself! Have fun and be safe!
-Ryan
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Well guys the field blind worked out well. I shot an 8 point last night. I'll see if I can get some pics up.
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:10 pm

dukkilr6 wrote:Well guys the field blind worked out well. I shot an 8 point last night. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

Nice!!! Congrats. lets see some pics.

I didn't see a stinking thing.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:00 pm

i still got another couple of weeks before the opener, but im glad to hear success out of the ground blind. it builds confidence.
CONGRATS :thumbsup:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby greatwhitehunter3 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:14 pm

ive seen TONS of does....waiting for the big boys to start following!
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!
greatwhitehunter3
hunter

Return to Archery