went out and shot some bows for the first time

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

went out and shot some bows for the first time

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:26 am

well i've been telling myself i'd go do it forever, and i finally went out and did it. holy smokes that is a blast. a guy from church took us out, and we played around for hours shooting. i can definately see myself getting into it pretty hard here soon. the guy just bought a new matthews (which shot amazingly, heck even i was getting them into a decent group at 20 yards) so he could set it up to shoot ambidextriously, so he said he'd sell me his parker with all it's stuff for $250. unfortunately i forgot to ask him the model and how old it was (seemed fairly new), but he said he just had it restrung and serviced by parker. so good deal? i dunno, but the guy is pretty into archery and God, so i dont think he'd sell me a piece of junk and try to rip me off.

i also got to shoot the long bow he made out of hickory (i think) and bamboo and that was pretty fun. he said that they are easy enough to make and he'd show me how to make one if i wanted to do it, so that might be kind of fun also.

like i already didnt have enought addictions as it was.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:15 pm

250 for a loaded Parker sounds good. If he said he just changed the string look it over good and check it for frays or over waxed places were he might be hideing something. Check over the cam(s) and screws limbs all that good stuff. Have fun its a whole nother world. Post a pick.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: went out and shot some bows for the first time

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 am

jjohnson_714 wrote:i also got to shoot the long bow he made out of hickory (i think) and bamboo and that was pretty fun. he said that they are easy enough to make and he'd show me how to make one if i wanted to do it, so that might be kind of fun also.

like i already didnt have enought addictions as it was.

I make my own selfbows too and your right, it is an addiction. I had it worse than waterfowling for a while. I had to figure it all out by myself before the internet. He should help you make a good bow on your first one if your interested.

But if your going to hunt. There is nothign like killing even just a little doe, on the ground, with a hand made bow and arrow. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: went out and shot some bows for the first time

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:17 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:But if your going to hunt. There is nothign like killing even just a little doe, on the ground, with a hand made bow and arrow. :thumbsup:

Agreed, stick bows all the way! I plan to build one of my own someday, until then my recurves will werve me just fine.

In most states, having the ability to shoot archery increases the length of your hunting season as well as makes it easier to shoot ducks with good piece of mind when everyone else is on thier deerstands for rifle season!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:09 pm

i shoot a parker and love it. if you can get the model and year tell me and i can probably tell you a lot about it. my next bow will be a parker to probably. im lookin at mathews and bowtech to though. archery is just behind duck hunting for me i think its great for new people to get into it.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Return to Archery