Word of Advice

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Word of Advice

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am

my dad was climbing up into the stand this morning and as soon as he put his weight on the stand it fell. now, my dads in pretty good shape for his age. in this situation a safety harness cant help. luckily he had a limb above his stand he could hold on to that save him from a 25' fall. (the stand didnt land on his bow thank God.) i cant stress enough the importance of taking down and rehanging your stands each year. he had two straps and bolts in the tree. he had the stand there for 3 years. trees grow and rot and your not gonna know til ya stand in the thing. so its a miracle he wasnt hurt but he learned a lesson. i thought maybe this could help someone.

DONT BE LAZY! :thumbsup:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby DoubleBayou » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Very happy your Dad didn't get hurt Grappler.

Thanks for the heads up!
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Man....glad he's alright. What kind of stand was it?
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:12 pm

well the stand itself was made by my dad. wasnt anything wrong with it, but the tree had died and this was all before daylight. so he didnt even notice the tree being dead. hes a little lazy when it comes to bow huntin. lol i tried to tell em. he's fine though.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Skyblaster7 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 am

I read a statistic once where something like 82% of all tree stand accidents are built at home. Also, there are multiple safety harness that you can use while climbing a tree. They aren't hard to use and you only lose a total of 1 minute by using it. I never climb or hunt out of a tree without one; you can't hunt when you're dead. I'm glad your dad is ok, but I would really try to persuade him into purchasing a harness.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:28 pm

Skyblaster7 wrote:I read a statistic once where something like 82% of all tree stand accidents are built at home. Also, there are multiple safety harness that you can use while climbing a tree. They aren't hard to use and you only lose a total of 1 minute by using it. I never climb or hunt out of a tree without one; you can't hunt when you're dead. I'm glad your dad is ok, but I would really try to persuade him into purchasing a harness.

that would be a good investment. the safer the better. :thumbsup:

as far as the stand. i honestly have to say it wasnt the stand. the tree had rotted and the straps broke. the stand is fine. prob the reason for that statistic is b/c some people try to go the cheap way out and dont know what they are doing. trust me, my dad is one of the best welders ive ever seen. and its a great design. he should have taken it down though and he didnt. thats why it fell.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Return to Archery