Fletching Glue

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Fletching Glue

Postby gcbowhunter » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:25 am

Does anybody fletch their own arrows? I just fletched my first batch but some of my vanes are already starting to peel off. What kind of glue do you guys use?
gcbowhunter
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:51 pm

I typically use Bohning Platinum. But I usually fletch with Blazers. If you are using AAE's, you need to use a super glue type adhesive. But if you use NAP Quikspins for example you need to use the brand specific glue.

Are you using wraps? If so, what brand?
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:17 pm

i use "goat tuff" it works great. i actually have a lot of trouble gettin my fletchings off the shaft. i do use blazers though.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby gcbowhunter » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 am

I used Bohning Platinum with blazors on the eze eye wraps. Some seem like they are on the arrows pretty tight, but 3 or 4 flethings out of 6 arrows have either came off or are starting to peel off. Im using a whisker buiscuit, so that probably doesn't help, but I figured they would stick a lot better than this.
gcbowhunter
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 am

gcbowhunter wrote:I used Bohning Platinum with blazors on the eze eye wraps. Some seem like they are on the arrows pretty tight, but 3 or 4 flethings out of 6 arrows have either came off or are starting to peel off. Im using a whisker buiscuit, so that probably doesn't help, but I figured they would stick a lot better than this.

before i bought my dropzone i had a whisker biscuit. i shot the blazers put on with goat tuff and i didnt tear a single fletching. the problem is since blazers are so tough the glue comes off before they tear. plus, anytime you add wraps its harder for fletchings to stay regardless of the glue. in my opinion, goat tuff is the strongest out there.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 am

Easy Eye wraps are good for adhesion. Some brands you have to skuff up a little bit but not those. You probably just need to put more glue or less offset/helical to get better glue coverage. Blazers are a little unique in that you have the same wind and drag forces but only with two inches of glue to hold it down. Blazers are really tough too, so when they hit something the dang glue shears before the vane does.

So anyway, you have the right stuff for the job, just make sure to get complete coverage of the glue on the vane base and the shaft. I've had the same problem before because I put a lot of offset on my vanes, and it caused them not to seat fully onto the shaft w/ the glue. You could clearly see the lip of the vane base not glued to the shaft all the way. It's ok if you have to put a little too much glue on then wipe off the excess immediately after you put the clamp onto the arrow.

When properly glued the Blazers will be fine forever through a Biscuit. You'll like that set up I promise. :thumbsup:
--Hunters don't care about nature, but loony animal activists who've never been outside of San Francisco do??!!
--Hipocrisy: People against hunting, but who don't have a problem buying new condos built on previous wetland habitat.
---RIP-Woody-1/26/2010--
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby gcbowhunter » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:11 am

Thanks for the help. I probably just didn't put enough glue on them because I didn't want to make a big mess of things lol
gcbowhunter
hunter

Return to Archery