broadhead question

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

broadhead question

Postby gcbowhunter » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:11 am

I've been looking into broadheads a lot lately, and I'm thinking about trying either the slick tricks or grim reapers. Anybody have any opinions on them?
gcbowhunter
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 am

i use the grim reapers, great flight, perfect pass thrue shots, damn near indestructable. they have a neat vidoe of them shooting them at steele drumd and at plywood angle shots, the tests were performed by gold tip arrow company, the reapers beat all other expandables and also the fix blade they were put up against.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mag225 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:49 pm

Make sure you check your local laws regarding certain expandibles. I live in NY and the DEC recently banned the use of one of the 3 blade expandibles; I don't know which one, but the point remains...
mag225
hunter

Postby Krankie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:45 am

i have had good luck with the slick tricks.they fly dead on with feild tips and get great penatration.
Krankie
hunter

Postby bootoxen » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:17 am

I used the slick tricks this yr with great success. Fly great. Buck and doe down in 30 yards. Still need to hit them in the right spot!
bootoxen
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:42 am

MUZZY all the way- i was videotaping my friend and he shot one with a grim reaper dead perfect in the boiler room and the deer left and we couldn't find him after waiting 2hrs after the shot. I shot 3 in bow season this yr so far with Muzzy and the farthest one has went 50yrds. the other two dropped within the corn pile
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby bootoxen » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:47 pm

I was using Muzzy. Good head but wanted to try something diff. Also ST's are a slightly larger diameter 4 blade. I noticed a bigger entrance and exit hole.

I shot a buck 2 yrs ago with a rocket expandable .It did a devastating job BUT as the arrow entered it curved and came out at a diff angle .Real wierd. I had lot's of KE so a pass through wasn't a problem.
bootoxen
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:39 pm

no question muzzy fixed blade. if i had to choose though ide shoot the grim reapers. i shot a few turkeys w/ grim reapers. they kept a good edge even after blowing through into the ground.

redneckhunter09 you hunt over a pile of corn????? where the hunt there??? :huh:
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:55 pm

hell he aint got to come to the corn pile, he's got a mind of his own. also i only hunt over a corn pile about 4 times a yr. the other times i'm hunting a scrape or rub line, or a ridge trail, hell ya'll all hunt over food plots so whats the diff
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:04 pm

a food plot in maine hahaha thats too funny. i have never shot a deer over plot or a pile of food. hell, maine hasnt got hardley and feed to even hunt a food source and have it be consistant. we have to track up here.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:23 pm

try that down here, every deer within a 2 mile radius will here you once your foot hits the leaves.
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:52 pm

haha tell that to all the deer i kill. thats not a big problem anyways. you think they dont have ears up here. haha. we only get trackin snow the last part of the season usually. you gota do it on bare ground. the rainy days are almost as good as snow. what you dont understand is the pace. you gotta keep a reg. pace. 9 times outa ten yer buck will wait to see what you are. then POW! lights out do it every year amine and new hampshire. sometimes snow sometimes ot. even on snow ppl dont realize just how quiet you actually need to be. some ppl around here do set in tree stands but thats boring.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Return to Archery