Bad to the Bone?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Bad to the Bone?

Postby mydogearl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:02 am

i just switched to muzzy 100s this year and a few weeks ago i shot into the target and as i pulled the arrow out the broadhead and insert came out right inside the target (i guess it wasnt glued in good) but anyway........i was shooting yesterday and by pure luck, i hit the broadhead on the inside with my shot. i pulled the arrow out and the screw on tip and two of the blades had came completely off inside their. this kind of makes me wonder what would happen if i would happen to directly hit a bone?
mydogearl
hunter

Postby MNGooseBuster22 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:21 am

Yeah I don't know what to think of Muzzys. :huh: I have always heard mixed results with them. I shoot Rocky Mtn. Revolutions! Great broadhead that I put through some bone and it came out just fine! Another broadhead that is also in my quiver is the new Rage 2 Blade!!! Big holes and very nice blood trails! :thumbsup:
"When the geese are flying and the air is crisp, you know where I will be! The Corn fields and Bean fields of Minnesota!!!!!"
MNGooseBuster22
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Thats why I don't like mechanical blades, if you like the muzzys get the G5's. The Rage broadhead look good too but havn't tried them yet.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:42 pm

not mechanicals.......just 3 bladers.......sorry for the confusion
mydogearl
hunter

Postby curtisjr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:41 pm

the rage 2 blade 2inch cut are increadable. even if you do hit them a little a far back or make a questionable shot i have had no problem recovering deer. only shooting 52 lbs and get pass throughs every time unlike other broadheads i have shot in the past. they are a little expensive but well worth it. just my 2 cents.
curtisjr
hunter

Muzzy 125 vs. G5 125

Postby mag225 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:41 pm

I started the season with G5's. They fly like darts, accurate to 65 yards, not that I'd shoot that far but it's fun to say I can. I loved the G5's but couldn't keep a good edge. I'm not great with traditional sharpening stones and have tried a few different broadhead sharpeners with little success. Tonight I shot a nice mature buck, 9 point, with the muzzy 125's. Awesome blood on the arrow, a little for the first ten yards; then didn't find anymore blood until we saw the deer 80 yards away. I double lunged him, high though. Anyone want to explain why there was such little blood?
mag225
hunter

Re: Muzzy 125 vs. G5 125

Postby MNGooseBuster22 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:47 pm

mag225 wrote:I started the season with G5's. They fly like darts, accurate to 65 yards, not that I'd shoot that far but it's fun to say I can. I loved the G5's but couldn't keep a good edge. I'm not great with traditional sharpening stones and have tried a few different broadhead sharpeners with little success. Tonight I shot a nice mature buck, 9 point, with the muzzy 125's. Awesome blood on the arrow, a little for the first ten yards; then didn't find anymore blood until we saw the deer 80 yards away. I double lunged him, high though. Anyone want to explain why there was such little blood?

Well it is the fact that you hit him high! I have seen that a lot! I bet though when you opened him up there was a load of blood in the body cavity? That is what usually happens when the holes are high!!! :thumbsup:
"When the geese are flying and the air is crisp, you know where I will be! The Corn fields and Bean fields of Minnesota!!!!!"
MNGooseBuster22
hunter

Postby mag225 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:04 am

exactly, it was like a swimming pool/hot tubb inside. Idealy, I wish that I could have a blood trail like floor lighting in movie theaters, or air port run ways, where the deer is crumpled up 20 yards away. Realistically, I don't really expect that though. An 80 yard trail is good for me. Had I made a better shot it would have been easier to find, but i couldn't be happier. In fact, I can't sleep right now because all i want to do is go look at my deer again. Or go hunting.
Back to the topic... Muzzy's and montecs are both awesome, imo. I'm part cherokee indian..... Imagine what it would have been like back in the day to hunt with flint and what not.... The sport of bow hunting has come a long way from survival.

Also, I'm cross-eye dominant... Should I switch shooting hands???
mag225
hunter

Postby budalcorn45 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 am

I dig on the Muzzy 100's. They are like 35 dollars at Gander for 6 of them here. (MN) plus if you are not the best with sharpening your broadheads, they sell replacement blades for them that are pre sharpened for around $14. Just my .02
budalcorn45
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:44 am

i shoot 100 gr 3 blade muzzy's and i just recently the other day shot one in the shoulder bone and well it looked like you shot it with a rifle. it decentegrated one shoulder and completey ruined the other. I have always had excellent success with a muzzy.
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby archerdtorres » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:39 pm

I have shot muzzy 125 gr. for about 5 years. I love them. I shot a five point bull this year. Perfect pass through. he went 50 yards and expired. the blood trail was awsome :thumbsup: . I shot a big bodied mule deer this year too. He was quartering away and it passed through his opposite shoulder. he went 10 yards and dropped.
orange feet
archerdtorres
Newb

Postby slicendice » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:54 am

It's Muzzys for me and no other. I've tried other brands, other styles, and everytime I come back to Muzzys. I'm trying to think, but off the top of my head, I can only think of one animal that I shot with the Muzzy in which I didn't get a passthrough. If I have to discard a Muzzy, it's usually because it hit a rock while burying into the ground after passing through the animal. One animal in particular sticks out in my mind as a testiment to the Muzzys toughness. I shot a doe that was quartering hard at 20 yards. The arrow went in behind the shoulder at a tight angle, through the brisket, and then through the opposite leg (which was forward as she was taking a step). The opposite leg was nearly severed completely and was barely hanging on. She immediately bulldozed and went about 40 yards before piling up. I recovered the arrow, buried in the ground 4 inches and good as new, even after passing through the chest cavity, the brisket, the leg bone and 4 inches of ground. To each his own, but it's Muzzy for me.

Jon
2013-2014 season totals
1 Bufflehead
1 Gadwall
1 Black duck
1 Hoody
3 Mergs
3 Cans
4 Geese
4 Wood ducks
1 Mallard
3 doe