Shot Angle

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Shot Angle

Postby MossyGO! » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:43 pm

I have a brand new tree stand still sitting in the box and was thinking about using it so my question is, do I have to adjust my yardage from a tree stand or is 20 yards 20 yards?
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:35 pm

shoot your 20 and 30 and 40 same as you would on the ground. i dont bend at my waist so i aim about 3 inches lower then where i wana hit depending on the severity of the angle. if you bend at the waist your anchor should be the same.....some guys will say hold dead on when you shoot that way. ive shot tournyments all over hell and aiming low has ALWAYS worked for me. set up your astand at home and try it for you self. good luck
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:19 am

no! use your same pins like you were on the ground. im fixin to get all "engineerin" on ya. what people talk about has to do with the pythagorean theorem. a triangle drawn from the base of the tree to the target then at an angle to the hunter shows that you are a little farther away than if you were on the ground. but your talkin less than a yard most of the time. nothing to have to really adjust for. just make sure you bend at the hips!
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:11 pm

If you would practice like you are supost to then you wouldn't have had to ask this question. :huh:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:34 am

laredneck dude thats a little harsh. atleats he feels like he can ask. if you make a dipshit coment like that everytime someone asks for help they arent gonna wanna ask anything feelin your gonna make them look stupid.

greenhead touched on a point i mentioned about bending at the waist. some do it right some dont. i guess i dont cuz i aim a tick lower then i actually want to hit works though, i have 40 or so trophies that say it works!. PLUS! the deer a lot times will duck your string and that helps compensate for that as well.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:10 am

okay, I'm going to give LA the benefit of the doubt and say he's had a bad day, I would have thought he would remember that I'm new to bowhunting and I've asked his opinion on a couple of occasions hence the yardage questions, oh well.
Anyway, hopefully this won't be a criticized question as well but what do you mean by bending at the hips?
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HotDog » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:40 am

Some people will try to lower their bow hand to change the angle. This messes with your anchor point.
If you bend at your hips, nothing should change above them. Thus your anchor point remains the same.
Please wear a safety harness in the tree.
I adjust mine to stop me, when I lean out, before my weight goes beyond my balance point.
If you're new to stands, set it up on a tree 2 feet off the ground and practice all movements first before getting at a more risky height.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:27 pm

"bending at the waiste" some guys will , from a treestand, draw there bow on a level plane then bend t the waist to aim atthere target. some ppl, like myslf will lower my bow arm and aim a tick low. not a lot just a couple inches. its more comfotable to me and ive been doing it that way since i was four yrs old and it works. this bend at the waiste to me is "new age" the result is the same tough. as far as your anchor point goes, thats what ppl tell you who cant hit anything unless they bend at the hips. your ppep and your jaw is your anchor. that is constant. if you feel thatsa problem use a kisser button alt9ough you wont need one, trust me. try both ways do as ytour mind too. they both work for different folks. ive won tourneys all over ew england w/ my style and a lot of old pros will say the same. good luck freind
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:40 am

Ducking string is a crock of bull- all that says is that 1) your bow is to loud and 2) you shot further than you should have, i'm shooting 60lbs so i dont shoot no further than 30yrds. i haven't had one duck string yet.but to answer your question NO dont adjust cause 20yrds in the air is 20yrds on the ground
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:57 am

ducking string is a crock huh? obviously you hvant hunted enough or killed enough deer. ive shot every bow out there hoyt hhigh country pse alpine jennings mathews and bowtech and ive seen deer duck w/ all those brands. between me and my father we have almost 60 yrs experiance w/ archery and bow building/tuning and competition. my bowtech is byfar hte quietest bow ive ever had and yes ive shot mathews and never will again. finicky pieces of crap. yes ill shoot out to 40 yds hunting which is no problem cuz in my open class i have to shoot to 56yds. my BT is spitting axis400 FMJ @ 280fps w/ a 27" draw @ 69lbs. its both quiet and fast and at 25 yds they WILL still re-act and duck. its instinct. 5-10 yds no they dont have time to react but i still want the botom half of the deer rather then to top. YOU MUST BE AN EXCEPTION REDNECKHUNTER
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:18 am

i started bow hunting 4yrs ago, i have killed at least 4 deer in bow season every yr, and so far this yr i've killed 3 with a bow, but now that its gun season i'm still gonna take the bow with me. And i prolly deer hunt every other day in deer season. so do the math, also for the last 5 yrs i've filled all 6 of my tags. 2bucks and 4does
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:55 am

4 YRS!!!! YOU HAVNT EVEN BEGUN TO SCRATCH THE SURFACE!!you have a long way to go bud. you still aint got the #'s racked up. keep h8unting and you will experiance it for your self. haha when i was 8 yrs old i had 4 yrs experiance already for christs sakes
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:12 am

hell i've been hunting since i could hold a 410 so somewhere along the lines of about 12yrs. so far i've killed about 32 deer, including a big 9 and a 8. i've also killed 3 turkeys with my bow, and a bunch of rabbits with it also, so i'd say thats pretty accomplished. at least piedmont bait and tackle comp thinks it is
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:26 am

jeez your a whizbang alright. whens the T.V. show starting????!!............you do have you own tv show dont ya
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 am

no, currently i'm working on a way to kill a duck with a bow or a slingshot. i'll videotape it when i do
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:07 am

well hell, as awesome as you think you are why not just hurl a rock? :hammer:
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:00 pm

i'm not the best by no means, i've missed a few, but it wasnt cause they ducked string, it was just plain ole shooter error.i'm just saying in my 12yrs of hunting and observing my dad, my uncle, my granddad, i havent seen a deer duck string, and i've seen well over 400 deer shot with a bow. i spend more time observing/going along with my relatives than i do hunting.
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:21 pm

well twelve years ago bows were EXTREMELY loud. no matter what you did they were noisey. plain and simple. in your "extensive" career of obseving maybe you had your eyes closed?!? no???
i didnt think you made errors?? :huh:
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:24 pm

i've missed before well actually 2 times, but the ole man has a PSE that is about 12yrs old and lets just say its about 2dbs higher in noise than my brand new PSE. But it also helps to have a guy setting up your bow that was trained by the president of PSE so you know.
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:31 pm

lmfao hahaha kid your kilklin me. good luck w/ your slingshot huntin.
good bye
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm gonna need it thats for sure
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:58 pm

:lol: yall crack me up!
im gonna settle it right now. ive hunted all my life. ever had one duck an arrow? no. do they do it? yes (watch the outdoor channel)
get a fast quiet bow and it should not happen but it can. but 25 yds with 280fps. dang thats a fast deer!
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:42 pm

tell me about it i all most didnt quil him. that deer was so keyed up when he came in to my horns. i hit him high in the lungs. the second i released he ducked probably almost half his body depth. alot of ppl also dont relize how mch noise the arroms make in flight that you cant hear from behind the arrow. stand down range and have a friend shoot 30 yds. ESPECILLY w/ feathers or quickspins.

that same bow w/ my tournement set up is a 324fps bow. even w/ my stuby arms
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:47 pm

and he still ducks, something aint right, change locations, set up directly across from where you're at now, and then he'll look at where you used to be and THUMP never knew what hit him
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:57 pm

hahaha kid your just a KID! ive shot way more deer then you w/ a bow and im sure waaaaaaay more deer period. what you need is good old fashion experiance.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Next

Return to Archery