Release

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Release

Postby GCDuckhunter » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Do any of yall use a 4-finger release rather the the wrist type release. If so why do you prefer it over the wrist type?
GCDuckhunter
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:12 pm

its a much different feel. you use back tension to shoot it. it takes a lot of practice to get it right. i tried but switched back to the wrist release. i realized i shot well the way i was, id prob just mess it up.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 am

from what i understand, they are more of a target shooting release, the wrist types are used more for hunting. im sure that people use them vise-versa, but from what i understand that is how they were intended.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:32 pm

ah, there are hunting style releases. i shoot a back tensiuon in comp. but i just got a new release that can be switched from backtension to a thumb button for hunting. my "wrist" style releases are all scott. my fav, is the wildcat
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:04 pm

i stick with my tru ball release wrist type, i've tried the 4 fingered releases, but didnt like em
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:09 pm

try ALL releases before you buy, which a good shop will let you do. some are very very mnoisey and other makes are not. i wont name brands on here cuz it will start a pissin match and im all pissed out for a while.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:45 pm

skybuster20ga wrote:try ALL releases before you buy, which a good shop will let you do. some are very very mnoisey and other makes are not. i wont name brands on here cuz it will start a pissin match and im all pissed out for a while.

u can mention them. thats what we do on here. voice opinions. plus, GC may want brands named to know what to get and avoid.
i agree i like Scott. that mongoose is pretty slick. pricey though. especially if you want a four finger.
i actually found what i think is a tru-fire in an archery box of my dads and i love it. i backed the screw out where its pretty touchy, and as long as it stays clean its wonderful. :rofl:
its funny how i play around with $100 releases and the one i like the most is the$30 one.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:47 pm

i have used both but now i use the wrist style, mostly because i like it better for shooting. but if you could get used to a 4 finger and be comfortable with it, i would recomend it more for hunting because you can hook it on your bow and go. it doesnt get in the way if trying to use a call or when rattling or when climbing into a stand (i like to get in the stand and be hunting and not spend time putting on a release and making the velcro noise). on the other hand though, i think there is a wrist style that actually breaks down and folds out of the way. but i dont know who makes it or know anything about it.
p.s. for me it is easier to use a glove with the finger style and with the wrist style, a glove just gets in the way. so i keep my hand in my pocket to keep it warmer.
mydogearl
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm

i wouldnt ever shoot a wrist style for comp once i got used to a back tension. i mean a real back tension. however i wouldnt hunt w/ a back tensi0on BUT swaping back to a "wrist" style after shoot all summer w/ a back tension is weird. what did come natural is no foriegn. so i use a 4 finger hunting BUT most are loud. liuke a said before. trouble w/ a wrist style is this. " oh im aiming there it is perfect ,oh now slowly start to pull , oops im not just right , there it is aagiankeeps squeezing,SNAP! thinking about too many things at once! where as back tenison it just aiming and pulling harder basically
skybuster20ga
hunter

just FYI

Postby ghilliehunter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Back tension is a form not a release. It is achieved when you pull your drawing scapula closer to you spine once your at full draw. This utilizes your lats instead of your shoulders making your shot more accurate. You can do it with a wrist release or a thumb or backtension release. I use a caliper for hunting and a tru ball for tournys but I use backtension for all of them.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Return to Archery