New bow and new to bowhunting

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

New bow and new to bowhunting

Postby thomashamm2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:56 pm

This fall I'm gonna start bowhunting with my friends family in illinois. Never hunted deer before or bow hunted so I'm looking forward to it. I bought a diamond infinite edge pulling about around 48 pounds. I have a few questions such as shot placement. Since I'm new to archery I'm not a great shot. I feel comfortable about to 20 yards shooting a heart size target. I've inly had my bow for two weeks so by October I think I'm going to be significantly better. I
Are heart shots necessary or will double lung shots good enough for killing a deer. Thanks

Also it edited another question about scents and urines. I can only afford a non resident doe tag so what would be the scent to attract does to my stand? Just doe urine?
Last edited by thomashamm2 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomashamm2
hunter

Re: New bow and new to bowhunting

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Hey man, welcome to a whole new obsession. Bowhunting deer is so addictive. To answer your question, no they aren't necessary at all. I would recommend double lung at all times. Much bigger target. Draw a line up in the crease behind the front leg, and a line 2/3 the way up from the bottom of the deer. Shoot just behind and below those lines, that's the sweet spot. Just always make sure the deer is broadside or quartering away. This makes sure the shoulder blade is out of the way. Practice from a stand to get used to the steep angles. Good luck to ya, and feel free to ask anything else.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby cyclocoastie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:05 am

You might consider taking a bow hunter safety course too. It's a class that isn't required in all states but is in some. They cover alot of your basic questions and (depending on the instructor) will share tips of the woods for being more successful!
cyclocoastie
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:51 pm

cyclocoastie wrote:You might consider taking a bow hunter safety course too. It's a class that isn't required in all states but is in some. They cover alot of your basic questions and (depending on the instructor) will share tips of the woods for being more successful!

Ill probly eventually take a class like that but as of now I'm too busy and hunting season is approaching fast. Thanks for the reply
thomashamm2
hunter

Return to Archery