Broadheads for a very fast bow

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby birddog crazy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Ok guys, just ordered a new PSE FULL THROTTLE after shooting one over the weekend. My 2 year old PSE PRO DREAM SEASON EVO set at 70 # shot with a arrow weighing around 389 grains a average of 303 feet per second. When I first got that bow I was shooting stinger 2 blades and even after tuned I got a nasty whistle from broadheads in flight so I went to hell razor fixed 3 blade and solved that problem. The bow I ordered which is the same setup I shot this weekend at 65# but drives the arrow to 340 fps to a kinetic energy of about 95#. my question is , (after so many people have told me to make the switch to mechanicals) do you believe a 3 blade fixed will fly straight instead of planning if not what mech's would you recommend for hunting, which as a side note most hunting is for whitetails except this year I am going black bear hunting and need ideas for broadheads for them. I am not new to bowhunting, been doing it for over 25 years with lots of meat in the freezer over the years, so I know about tuning and so forth, just wanted advice to help make a informative choice. Thanks
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Missouri


Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 am

Grim reapers. Tough, dependable, can use shoot through mesh, leave nasty holes. Period. I've shot at least 5 or 6 deer with them.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.


best quote ever
User avatar
youngoilguy
hunter
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Ohio (not in a flyway)

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello, Life long bowhunter here but brand new duck hunter. Couple suggestions about your setup.....first, going from 300 fps up to 340 fps may just totally destroy your accuracy, not saying anything about the bow but knowing from the exact same personal experience that that excess in speed can make you be able to hit nothing. Next, that bow shooting 340 fps at 65# has to be virtually dry firing the bow(arrow is way too light), this isn't going to be good for the bow if you shoot much at all and the light arrows will like to break and cost you money( again know this from personal experience). About the broadheads, ive shot a whole lot of different broadheds, both fixed and mechanical, and they both have pros and cons. Mechanical are great for accuracy as most you can screw in and shoot just like a field point, but, you can almost bet that you are going to buy new blades every time you shoot something with one if the ferrule even survives, so again theyre costing you more money and im always worried about mine opening in flight and not opening on contact. About the planning with the fixed blades...theres an easy fix, just line up each blade of the broadhead with each of your fletches or exactly in the center of each and they'll fly straight, just may drop a bit due to the the extra air resistence vs. field points. Again im speaking on all experience here not things ive read or been told.....my setup is a bowtech 82nd airborne shooting just under 300fps at 63# with a 454 grain arrow, that gives me around 95# ke if I remember correctly.
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:13 am

AWall3322 wrote:Hello, Life long bowhunter here but brand new duck hunter. Couple suggestions about your setup.....first, going from 300 fps up to 340 fps may just totally destroy your accuracy, not saying anything about the bow but knowing from the exact same personal experience that that excess in speed can make you be able to hit nothing. Next, that bow shooting 340 fps at 65# has to be virtually dry firing the bow(arrow is way too light), this isn't going to be good for the bow if you shoot much at all and the light arrows will like to break and cost you money( again know this from personal experience). About the broadheads, ive shot a whole lot of different broadheds, both fixed and mechanical, and they both have pros and cons. Mechanical are great for accuracy as most you can screw in and shoot just like a field point, but, you can almost bet that you are going to buy new blades every time you shoot something with one if the ferrule even survives, so again theyre costing you more money and im always worried about mine opening in flight and not opening on contact. About the planning with the fixed blades...theres an easy fix, just line up each blade of the broadhead with each of your fletches or exactly in the center of each and they'll fly straight, just may drop a bit due to the the extra air resistence vs. field points. Again im speaking on all experience here not things ive read or been told.....my setup is a bowtech 82nd airborne shooting just under 300fps at 63# with a 454 grain arrow, that gives me around 95# ke if I remember correctly.



I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:33 am

QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby PNWGator » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:15 am

Slick tricks will work for you also. Great heads that are tough and easy to tune.
PNWGator
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 am

Havent heard anything but good about those since they came out, although they seem to be a little small on the cut diameter for my personal liking but then again shot placement is key always.
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45 pm

AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.



Also have to disagree with that. Not knocking fixed blades at all but in no way are Reapers inferior to some of your fixed blades. Ive never had a deer not go down within sight most not making it past 50 yards and that has happend with a shoulder shot too. Not hear to argue just stating my opinoin. I Have seen more lost deer with fixed blades especially montecs many different times than I have with anything else.
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby creole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:21 pm

QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
User avatar
creole
hunter
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:19 pm

QuackWhacker65 wrote:
AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.



Also have to disagree with that. Not knocking fixed blades at all but in no way are Reapers inferior to some of your fixed blades. Ive never had a deer not go down within <a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gun+sight" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>sight</span></a> most not making it past 50 yards and that has happend with a shoulder shot too. Not hear to argue just stating my opinoin. I Have seen more lost deer with fixed blades especially montecs many different times than I have with anything else.


That's great. Im glad you've had such good luck with those, ive personally never liked the looks of them so ive never used them for that reason. It almost always comes down to shot placement no matter what broadhead your shooting, I think we can all agree on that.

creole wrote:QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want

Love when someone states something like this. Sure KE is where its at but can you increase it with your arrow weight....no, not really. That's an old way of thinking. It works like this, if youve got X amount of speed with one arrow weight you will have Y amount of KE, so if you up that arrow weight, speed X will drop, effectively keeping KE about the same. Its more about the bow than anything. Like I said before I think my setup yields about 95 for KE, that's at just under 300fps and a 454 grain arrow. From factory my bow is rated for 96 KE and we all know they test the bows for those results with the lightest and fastest arrows they can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 pm

creole wrote:QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want


Love when someone states something like this. Sure KE is where its at but can you increase it with your arrow weight....no, not really. That's an old way of thinking. It works like this, if youve got X amount of speed with one arrow weight you will have Y amount of KE, so if you up that arrow weight, speed X will drop, effectively keeping KE about the same. Its more about the bow than anything. Like I said before I think my setup yields about 95 for KE, that's at just under 300fps and a 454 grain arrow. From factory my bow is rated for 96 KE and we all know they test the bows for those results with the lightest and fastest arrows they can.


.....sorry messed up that last post somehow
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 pm

AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:
AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.



Also have to disagree with that. Not knocking fixed blades at all but in no way are Reapers inferior to some of your fixed blades. Ive never had a deer not go down within <a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gun+sight" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>sight</span></a> most not making it past 50 yards and that has happend with a shoulder shot too. Not hear to argue just stating my opinoin. I Have seen more lost deer with fixed blades especially montecs many different times than I have with anything else.


That's great. Im glad you've had such good luck with those, ive personally never liked the looks of them so ive never used them for that reason. It almost always comes down to shot placement no matter what broadhead your shooting, I think we can all agree on that.

creole wrote:QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want

Love when someone states something like this. Sure KE is where its at but can you increase it with your arrow weight....no, not really. That's an old way of thinking. It works like this, if youve got X amount of speed with one arrow weight you will have Y amount of KE, so if you up that arrow weight, speed X will drop, effectively keeping KE about the same. Its more about the bow than anything. Like I said before I think my setup yields about 95 for KE, that's at just under 300fps and a 454 grain arrow. From factory my bow is rated for 96 KE and we all know they test the bows for those results with the lightest and fastest arrows they can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk



im not to much into broadheads being stylish or good looking im more for how they shoot and preform :thumbsup:
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 am

QuackWhacker65 wrote:im not to much into broadheads being stylish or good looking im more for how they shoot and preform


Yep they gotta perform although for me if they don't look like they're worth a :censored: then I'm not going to be trying them in the first place, kind of like when i choose boots...if the tread isn't to my liking then i don't like the boot, period....yes choosing boots, or shoes for that matter, has a lot to do with the tread for me lol that's just how i roll :hammer:
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby Flikkie90 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Ya I run grim reapers shot 3 different deer with the same head last year no breaks and all went down in sight! I shoot a bear motive 6 and prolly have a similar setup to what you got I use the 100 grain razortip and I know my buddy shot a black bear at 25yards it went roughly 40 yards and piled up but like someone else sai shot placement is always the best factor!!
Flikkie90
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby buddy h » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Been bow hunting all my life have tried just about every fixed and mechanical broad head out there grim reapers are tuff .swacker are good also I switched to them 2years ago have shot 6 big mature bucks in the past two years with them and they perform great but man the grim reapers are tuff i shot a buck a few years back he turned right as I shot and it hit him in the back ham he fell over within 20 yards from where I shot him not proud of the shot but sometimes it just happens I expected the broad head to be broken blades where bent but in better shape then i expected I also shoot a high speed bow and haven't had a problem with either of these heads. As far a fixed blades I think muzzy is as good as they come.
buddy h
hunter
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:40 pm

buddy h wrote:Been bow hunting all my life have tried just about every fixed and mechanical broad head out there grim reapers are tuff .swacker are good also I switched to them 2years ago have shot 6 big mature bucks in the past two years with them and they perform great but man the grim reapers are tuff i shot a buck a few years back he turned right as I shot and it hit him in the back ham he fell over within 20 yards from where I shot him not proud of the shot but sometimes it just happens I expected the broad head to be broken blades where bent but in better shape then i expected I also shoot a high speed bow and haven't had a problem with either of these heads. As far a fixed blades I think muzzy is as good as they come.



All I can say to the Muzzy's is test/ tune your bow to them. I used to be a huge Muzzy fan, even killed a few deer with them, until I actually practiced with them. I can keep a pretty tight group with field points, throw the Muzzys on and the group size triples. They're all over the place, especially once you turn the speed up.

I got some G5 Montechs and havent looked back, they shoot just as true as field points and put quite a hurt on deer.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
hunter
 
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby jeffro9023 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:37 pm

What is with this unquenchable thirst for speed? My bow is 15yo, almost 40 kills, I shoot a 100gr thunderhead as accurate as a field point. I get a pass through 60% of the time and my bow shoots a blistering 259fps at 60lbs...I use one pin from 0-40 yards. thats right 0-40 yards. I shoot 3" high at 20 right on at 30, aim backstrap at 40. I practice more in the month of Sept. than most guys shoot in 5 years. I enjoy shooting...I use a 4" helical feather with a drop away and the set up is deadly...I kind of laugh reading archery posts about guys having trouble getting an arrow to shoot accurate at 340 fps and pulling 70lbs for whitetail deer. :lol3: ...Sometimes to much is to much.
jeffro9023
hunter
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby buddy h » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:08 pm

I had the same problem not shooting the groups I wanted out of the original muzzy I switched to the muzzy trocar and shot great groups.
buddy h
hunter
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby Flikkie90 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:11 pm

My bow is easy to draw at 70 just shoot it 100 times a week makes it easier and I want speed for distance is all I want and use a single pin trueglo slider from 20 out to 80 getting ready to go on an antelope hunt that's why I even thought of 40+ yards otherwise I would of kept the ol bear charge with 276fps but I use the 100 grain reapers and qad drop away with 400 grain arrows at 65 I can put a dozen arrows within a softball size circle
Flikkie90
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby Tenner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 pm

The two most accurate broadheads I have shot out of my bow going over 300fps are the Muzzy Trocar 100gr and the simmons landshark 2 blade 125gr...no bleeders. I can speak for mechanicals, they are not legal in Idaho.
Tenner
State Moderator
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby RiverReaper » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:40 am

I would think at those speeds stepping up to a heavier arrow would be beneficial. I stepped up to 300 spines and wouldn't go back to 340's. The energy retention is incredible. I hunt mostly in a state where fixed broadheads are the only option for big game. Up until this year I shot montecs with lots of success and never has accuracy issues. I switched to trocars this year on advice from a friend and they cut a little bigger channel than the montecs but aren't as tough. Honestly don't know which I'll stick with. Couldn't go wrong with either though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wyoming Sucks
RiverReaper
hunter
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby birddog crazy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:39 pm

AWall3322 wrote:Hello, Life long bowhunter here but brand new duck hunter. Couple suggestions about your setup.....first, going from 300 fps up to 340 fps may just totally destroy your accuracy, not saying anything about the bow but knowing from the exact same personal experience that that excess in speed can make you be able to hit nothing. Next, that bow shooting 340 fps at 65# has to be virtually dry firing the bow(arrow is way too light), this isn't going to be good for the bow if you shoot much at all and the light arrows will like to break and cost you money( again know this from personal experience). About the broadheads, ive shot a whole lot of different broadheds, both fixed and mechanical, and they both have pros and cons. Mechanical are great for accuracy as most you can screw in and shoot just like a field point, but, you can almost bet that you are going to buy new blades every time you shoot something with one if the ferrule even survives, so again theyre costing you more money and im always worried about mine opening in flight and not opening on contact. About the planning with the fixed blades...theres an easy fix, just line up each blade of the broadhead with each of your fletches or exactly in the center of each and they'll fly straight, just may drop a bit due to the the extra air resistence vs. field points. Again im speaking on all experience here not things ive read or been told.....my setup is a bowtech 82nd airborne shooting just under 300fps at 63# with a 454 grain arrow, that gives me around 95# ke if I remember correctly.

I been bowhunting for over 30 years so I know the do and don't part of arrow matching. I actually am shooting a arrow that is proper to shoot, leaning more on the heavier than light side. The Bow Chrono's usually around 335fps on a average but is getting the speed due to new bow design. Now as for the accuracy being hurt, My arrow fletcher at the bow shop would disagree because lots of arrows are being refletched lol. bow is accurate out to my last target of 50 yards.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby birddog crazy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Oh I did switch to exodus 3 blade fixed broadheads.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Missouri


Return to Archery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest