Broadheads for a very fast bow

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby birddog crazy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Ok guys, just ordered a new PSE FULL THROTTLE after shooting one over the weekend. My 2 year old PSE PRO DREAM SEASON EVO set at 70 # shot with a arrow weighing around 389 grains a average of 303 feet per second. When I first got that bow I was shooting stinger 2 blades and even after tuned I got a nasty whistle from broadheads in flight so I went to hell razor fixed 3 blade and solved that problem. The bow I ordered which is the same setup I shot this weekend at 65# but drives the arrow to 340 fps to a kinetic energy of about 95#. my question is , (after so many people have told me to make the switch to mechanicals) do you believe a 3 blade fixed will fly straight instead of planning if not what mech's would you recommend for hunting, which as a side note most hunting is for whitetails except this year I am going black bear hunting and need ideas for broadheads for them. I am not new to bowhunting, been doing it for over 25 years with lots of meat in the freezer over the years, so I know about tuning and so forth, just wanted advice to help make a informative choice. Thanks
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Missouri


Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 am

Grim reapers. Tough, dependable, can use shoot through mesh, leave nasty holes. Period. I've shot at least 5 or 6 deer with them.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.


best quote ever
User avatar
youngoilguy
hunter
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Ohio (not in a flyway)

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello, Life long bowhunter here but brand new duck hunter. Couple suggestions about your setup.....first, going from 300 fps up to 340 fps may just totally destroy your accuracy, not saying anything about the bow but knowing from the exact same personal experience that that excess in speed can make you be able to hit nothing. Next, that bow shooting 340 fps at 65# has to be virtually dry firing the bow(arrow is way too light), this isn't going to be good for the bow if you shoot much at all and the light arrows will like to break and cost you money( again know this from personal experience). About the broadheads, ive shot a whole lot of different broadheds, both fixed and mechanical, and they both have pros and cons. Mechanical are great for accuracy as most you can screw in and shoot just like a field point, but, you can almost bet that you are going to buy new blades every time you shoot something with one if the ferrule even survives, so again theyre costing you more money and im always worried about mine opening in flight and not opening on contact. About the planning with the fixed blades...theres an easy fix, just line up each blade of the broadhead with each of your fletches or exactly in the center of each and they'll fly straight, just may drop a bit due to the the extra air resistence vs. field points. Again im speaking on all experience here not things ive read or been told.....my setup is a bowtech 82nd airborne shooting just under 300fps at 63# with a 454 grain arrow, that gives me around 95# ke if I remember correctly.
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:13 am

AWall3322 wrote:Hello, Life long bowhunter here but brand new duck hunter. Couple suggestions about your setup.....first, going from 300 fps up to 340 fps may just totally destroy your accuracy, not saying anything about the bow but knowing from the exact same personal experience that that excess in speed can make you be able to hit nothing. Next, that bow shooting 340 fps at 65# has to be virtually dry firing the bow(arrow is way too light), this isn't going to be good for the bow if you shoot much at all and the light arrows will like to break and cost you money( again know this from personal experience). About the broadheads, ive shot a whole lot of different broadheds, both fixed and mechanical, and they both have pros and cons. Mechanical are great for accuracy as most you can screw in and shoot just like a field point, but, you can almost bet that you are going to buy new blades every time you shoot something with one if the ferrule even survives, so again theyre costing you more money and im always worried about mine opening in flight and not opening on contact. About the planning with the fixed blades...theres an easy fix, just line up each blade of the broadhead with each of your fletches or exactly in the center of each and they'll fly straight, just may drop a bit due to the the extra air resistence vs. field points. Again im speaking on all experience here not things ive read or been told.....my setup is a bowtech 82nd airborne shooting just under 300fps at 63# with a 454 grain arrow, that gives me around 95# ke if I remember correctly.



I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:33 am

QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby PNWGator » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:15 am

Slick tricks will work for you also. Great heads that are tough and easy to tune.
PNWGator
hunter
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 am

Havent heard anything but good about those since they came out, although they seem to be a little small on the cut diameter for my personal liking but then again shot placement is key always.
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45 pm

AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.



Also have to disagree with that. Not knocking fixed blades at all but in no way are Reapers inferior to some of your fixed blades. Ive never had a deer not go down within sight most not making it past 50 yards and that has happend with a shoulder shot too. Not hear to argue just stating my opinoin. I Have seen more lost deer with fixed blades especially montecs many different times than I have with anything else.
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby creole » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:21 pm

QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
User avatar
creole
hunter
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:19 pm

QuackWhacker65 wrote:
AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.



Also have to disagree with that. Not knocking fixed blades at all but in no way are Reapers inferior to some of your fixed blades. Ive never had a deer not go down within <a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gun+sight" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>sight</span></a> most not making it past 50 yards and that has happend with a shoulder shot too. Not hear to argue just stating my opinoin. I Have seen more lost deer with fixed blades especially montecs many different times than I have with anything else.


That's great. Im glad you've had such good luck with those, ive personally never liked the looks of them so ive never used them for that reason. It almost always comes down to shot placement no matter what broadhead your shooting, I think we can all agree on that.

creole wrote:QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want

Love when someone states something like this. Sure KE is where its at but can you increase it with your arrow weight....no, not really. That's an old way of thinking. It works like this, if youve got X amount of speed with one arrow weight you will have Y amount of KE, so if you up that arrow weight, speed X will drop, effectively keeping KE about the same. Its more about the bow than anything. Like I said before I think my setup yields about 95 for KE, that's at just under 300fps and a 454 grain arrow. From factory my bow is rated for 96 KE and we all know they test the bows for those results with the lightest and fastest arrows they can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 pm

creole wrote:QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want


Love when someone states something like this. Sure KE is where its at but can you increase it with your arrow weight....no, not really. That's an old way of thinking. It works like this, if youve got X amount of speed with one arrow weight you will have Y amount of KE, so if you up that arrow weight, speed X will drop, effectively keeping KE about the same. Its more about the bow than anything. Like I said before I think my setup yields about 95 for KE, that's at just under 300fps and a 454 grain arrow. From factory my bow is rated for 96 KE and we all know they test the bows for those results with the lightest and fastest arrows they can.


.....sorry messed up that last post somehow
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 pm

AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:
AWall3322 wrote:
QuackWhacker65 wrote:I have to disagree. Ive always shot grim reapers and have yet to break a blade or come close. I have a couple that have killed multiple deer. And the blades will actually close them selves after pass thro


Well its not going to happen every time all the time but sooner or later your going to bend and or break those blades......there is no comparison between mechanicals and fixed blades for toughness and i say that having spent most of my life shooting mechanicals. Shots that dont touch the actual bone in the shoulder(not the cartilage plate, the bone) will be fine but the day you shoulder shot a deer with that over the top expandable youll be sorry you did and very lucky to find that deer.



Also have to disagree with that. Not knocking fixed blades at all but in no way are Reapers inferior to some of your fixed blades. Ive never had a deer not go down within <a title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gun+sight" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span>sight</span></a> most not making it past 50 yards and that has happend with a shoulder shot too. Not hear to argue just stating my opinoin. I Have seen more lost deer with fixed blades especially montecs many different times than I have with anything else.


That's great. Im glad you've had such good luck with those, ive personally never liked the looks of them so ive never used them for that reason. It almost always comes down to shot placement no matter what broadhead your shooting, I think we can all agree on that.

creole wrote:QAD Exodus or slick trick magnums and I'd up my arrow weight.more KE is what you want

Love when someone states something like this. Sure KE is where its at but can you increase it with your arrow weight....no, not really. That's an old way of thinking. It works like this, if youve got X amount of speed with one arrow weight you will have Y amount of KE, so if you up that arrow weight, speed X will drop, effectively keeping KE about the same. Its more about the bow than anything. Like I said before I think my setup yields about 95 for KE, that's at just under 300fps and a 454 grain arrow. From factory my bow is rated for 96 KE and we all know they test the bows for those results with the lightest and fastest arrows they can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk



im not to much into broadheads being stylish or good looking im more for how they shoot and preform :thumbsup:
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Broadheads for a very fast bow

Postby AWall3322 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 am

QuackWhacker65 wrote:im not to much into broadheads being stylish or good looking im more for how they shoot and preform


Yep they gotta perform although for me if they don't look like they're worth a :censored: then I'm not going to be trying them in the first place, kind of like when i choose boots...if the tread isn't to my liking then i don't like the boot, period....yes choosing boots, or shoes for that matter, has a lot to do with the tread for me lol that's just how i roll :hammer:
AWall3322
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm


Return to Archery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest