the pains of archery hunting

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

the pains of archery hunting

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:32 pm

i hunt on a wma where its archery only. ive hunted an area (only i can get to) for about a week now. ive seen a good number of deer including 2 nice bucks. problem is they seem to always be just outta range. about 45 yards and i dont feel comfortable outside 35 or 40. even the does are doing it. ive tried movin and they still do it. theyre not smellin me and seem real calm.
the rut is gone and ive tried grunt calls and doe bleats. they simply look up and go back to browsing.
is there any way to get these suckers into bow range? im thinkin the only thing is luck but i thought someone might have a trick.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby bowhunter20 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:36 pm

After the rut the deer are lookin for food so if legal in your state try to hunt near some food plots or something or throw out some food. :thumbsup:
__________________________________Bow Hunter
bowhunter20
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:44 pm

bowhunter20 wrote:After the rut the deer are lookin for food so if legal in your state try to hunt near some food plots or something or throw out some food. :thumbsup:

not legal. but scent is.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:35 am

I feel your bowhunter pain,
perhaps look for physical features of the land or obstructions that could naturally funnel the deer towards you. Fallen trees, Fence lines, ridges, bayous or sloughs, and the edges between forest and clearing
could all be used if you reset your stand location

Hope this helps.

LA.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 pm

LA.Call'emClose wrote:I feel your bowhunter pain,
perhaps look for physical features of the land or obstructions that could naturally funnel the deer towards you. Fallen trees, Fence lines, ridges, bayous or sloughs, and the edges between forest and clearing
could all be used if you reset your stand location

Hope this helps.

LA.

ive done that to a certain extent

i tried using a big fallen tree that was nearly 4' in diameter, but instead of walking around it that sucker jumped right over it. :rofl:
thats something to investigate further. i may try to see exactly where theyre coming from but i think they come from different directions :rolleyes:
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby bowhunter20 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:49 pm

I was just reading bowhunter mag. and it says to even lay logs or completely block of trails using what ever possible. ??? But you might as well try it.
__________________________________Bow Hunter
bowhunter20
hunter

Return to Archery