Pushing my skills

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Pushing my skills

Postby bowhunter20 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm getting ready to go on a self guided hunt for pronghorn. I'm headed to the south west desert of utah aug 12. I know this is going to be extremly hard but i think i'm ready. Anytips would be great. And or any input would be nice.

I am also looking for a small broadhead to get because i really screwed it up last time and these got these horrible tips.
__________________________________Bow Hunter
bowhunter20
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:39 pm

those are normally longer shots. i would get a lot of practice in. other than that, get a good scent killer and get a nice one.
as far as the broadheads, you lookin for mech. or fixed?
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby 9er » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 pm

i shot shuttle T broadheads from tightpoint last year, they flew great!!! they are small and fixed blade. you putting in for a hunt or getting a landowner or conservation tag or what?

9er
9er
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:23 am

i've heard some pretty good things about slick trick broadheads :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby bowhunter20 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:34 am

you lookin for mech. or fixed?
Mech for sure i don't need one blade to get open during the stalk then miss the shot
__________________________________Bow Hunter
bowhunter20
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:09 am

bowhunter20 wrote:
you lookin for mech. or fixed?
Mech for sure i don't need one blade to get open during the stalk then miss the shot

:huh: well, if you dont want a blade opening id go with fixed. muzzy makes a good small fixed blade. i dont stalk, and i shoot mostly mech. but if i went with a fixed blade i go with muzzy. the 3 blades will work fine, or even the 4. theyre a little smaller in diameter.

just shoot them first. thats the down fall to fixed blades and long shots. that bow has got to be tuned perfect.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby wickedmfer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:59 am

The Shuttle T's are an awesome head, fly great and super tough. If you don't have a rangefinder you may want to get one cause they help a ton on goats. Like it was said before, shots to 60 are common, so practice up, and know your true limit. They can be hard to find out in the sage if you get a bad hit. The time of year your going it would probably be best to find a water hole and set up a blind. If you got time to scout this works great.
Good luck
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:23 am

wickedmfer wrote: If you don't have a rangefinder you may want to get one cause they help a ton on goats.

excellent point. it is extremely hard to judge distance from ground level in open terrain. i got a RX1 this year and i was suprised at how often my own judgement was off. your fine at 20 yds. but in a open field a deer at 40 yds can easily look like he's at 60.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:57 am

generally in a feild or open area you under judge the yardage. def. a muzzy 3 blade. you cant go wrong
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:i've heard some pretty good things about slick trick broadheads :thumbsup:

Thats all I shoot......They rock!! I highly recommend them.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:06 pm

choclab wrote:
jjohnson_714 wrote:i've heard some pretty good things about slick trick broadheads :thumbsup:

Thats all I shoot......They rock!! I highly recommend them.

after lookin at those. i may have to try them. spose to fly like mechs. may have to see for myself. :thumbsup:
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Swanyriver » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:39 am

Rage three blades fly like a dart at the longer ranges and if you are worried about the blades coming loose just go to the hardware store and get the same size but just a littl thicker and they will not come loose on a stalk but will open upon impact just like the original equipment. Practice at longer ranges and get very competent at distance and you should have a great hunt.
Swanyriver
hunter

Postby wildrivertaxidermy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:09 pm

hey bowhunter20 my fam has done alot of archery hunting for antalope in utah wyoming and idaho i know the area your huntin ok so if you want some pointers send me a pm and i would be glad to help
wildrivertaxidermy
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:52 am

I did a broadhead comparison on my own to see if some of these new designs are better than the muzzy. I shot 3 different types of broad heads at 50 yards. I also did this test to see if I could hit an animal at 50 yards. I typically hit the bullseye at 50 using field points. I shot T shuttle, Muzzy 3 and 4 blade, and the slick trick 100 grain. I missed my first shot with the t shuttle which may have bent the head slightly, because I never hit the target with the T-shuttle. I hit the target every time with the muzzy and the slick trick. The slick tricks did seem to fly the best hitting perfectly every time. The muzzy flew good as well but they were an inch or two off, which could have been me, but I did feel a bit more confident with the slick tricks abillity to fly straight. I do like the design of the muzzy for killing power. I am sure the T shuttle's fly good, but my with my little experience with them, I wouldn't shoot them past 40.
Only one way to get there, it's in the middle of no where, you gotta get a little mud on the tires.

Correction! Used to have to get a litlle mud on the tires!

WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:59 pm

My uncle shoots the Jackhammer SST's in 100 grain. They have a pretty awesome cutting diameter of 1.75 inches, and fly like a field point. I shoot Rocket Steelheads, I like them but plan on switching to the Jackhammers.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery