Montana Elk Decoy?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Montana Elk Decoy?

Postby Ross Bradley » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 pm

Has anyone had success with the Montana elk decoy? I bought one two years ago and have had mixed results. I shot a nice bull this year, but the decoy was never used. Any suggestions or experience with this decoy would be appreciated.
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:13 pm

I have used mine off and on for elk. Can't say I had any success with it. I'm not sure if an elk even saw it. However, I did use it here in NJ deer hunting. Every whitetail that saw it came over to check it out. Some spooked at 20 yards, most circled downwind to get a smell. It was very funny to watch. I had it set up in a soybean field.
Wish I had it in my pack on my last bull encounter, may have turned out differently.
2dogs1949
hunter

Montana Elk Decoy?

Postby Ross Bradley » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 pm

My buddy borrowed mine this last season. He said that a bull came to about 60 yards raked a tree and slowly walked away. The wind was good, did not move, etc. Again he did not know if the bull actually saw the decoy or not. I have not used it enough in elk situaitons to say it works or not. I have to believe that it does or the money spent was a waste.
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 pm

I would like ti think it would when the rut is on. If you're cow calling and he comes in, he is expecting to see a cow. I still think the best method is a caller and a shooter about 50 to 60 yards behind the shooter. Every one of my bull encounters I've been alone and never ended with a shot. I have had bulls at 15 feet and not had a shot. I hunt unguided in Colorado with a longbow.
2dogs1949
hunter

Montana Elk Decoy?

Postby Ross Bradley » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm

I live in Oregon and all my hunts are unguided. I am always trying new things when it comes to bow elk hunting. The decoy was my next new option, but have not had the time or maybe just a little hesitant to put it out because I personally have not had it work for me. Every situation is different and we all try to make a judgement call in the moment of truth. I was just hoping to maybe hear somebody else had some success with Montana Elk decoy. I still believe it will work in the right situation. Image Here is the bull I took this year.
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Looks like whatever you are doing is working. Very nice bull. Looks like the last one I met. I don't go every year, about every 3 years I get to go. Some injuries over the last 18 months may have put an end to my elk hunting. Time will tell. I too believe the elk decoy will work. I really like the Montana decoys.
2dogs1949
hunter

Montana Elk Decoy?

Postby Ross Bradley » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm

Well I do not know what injuries you have had, but I sure hope you can get out again with the bugling bulls. I have a herniated disc in my lower back which has slowed me down, but I mostly do it now for time with my father and now my oldest boy is bow hunting. I love to take down these magnificent animals, but that is not my only drive now. I try to enjoy the whole experience of the hunt. Something about being in God's country that words can't explain.
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:05 am

My injuries atre not that bad. Knee surgery and a fractured tailbone after being hit by a car. The impact presently is I can't
workout to get into the condition I like to be in for a hunt. That may all change going forward. If I can possibly do it, I will be back in the rockies. Nothing like it. I love the smell of ruting elk in the morning.
We drive out and camp for 2 weeks. Great time!!! We all shoot stick bows. Good luck next season.
2dogs1949
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 am

Yes they work. Very efficently! I know a guy who has shot a bull every year for the last 7 years with the decoy and called in numerous more elk with it. So his friends shot em'. He gave me some insight on why he's so effective with the decoy and it works. His son last year shot a nice 6 point at 12 yds. with the decoy.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:41 am

Would you like to share that insight???
2dogs1949
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Love to, but that guy swore me to secrecy! You know how it is. But I'll tell you once thing, when you hunt with it, get away from it. Hopefully, you understand my point??
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Montana Elk Decoy?

Postby Ross Bradley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 am

20 yards? 50 Yards? 100Yards? 100Plus yards?
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:48 am

My idea of an ideal situation is...You locate the bull, the decoy is placed 60 yards away and the caller is 60 yards past the decoy. The shooter is 60 yards in front of and downwind of the expected path of the bull. He should hang up around the 60 to 70 yard area once he sees the decoy and is checking the area for other bulls and cows. IMHO
I really believe this is a caller and shooter type of hunting. You can do it alone but I think it is more effective with 2 people. If you watch the Primos Truth series on elk hunting. They are never alone. And more often than not there are 2 callers.
2dogs1949
hunter

Montana Elk Decoy?

Postby Ross Bradley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:01 pm

The situation you talk about is what I am looking for to use my decoy, but there are so many variables. I do believe that to have success with the decoy is having a caller that is also away from the decoy. As we all know in bow hunting everything has to go perfect for us to have success. I know I have to just try the decoy in more elk situations and see what happens.
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby hunter97051 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Ross, one of my freinds uses his all the time. He got his bull and brought in two others for his son this last season all using the decoy, :thumbsup: he swears by it. Carl
"TAKE EM"!!! "TAKE EM"!!! MAN HOW DID YA MISS ALL THEM! THE DOGS LOOKIN PRETTY UPSET HE ONLY SHAKES OFF ON GUYS THAT MISS
hunter97051
hunter

Return to Archery