Need advice on everything bowhunting related

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Need advice on everything bowhunting related

Postby David » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:09 pm

I've rifle hunted most of my life and killed a number of deer. I'm thinking about getting into bow hunting and know almost nothing about it. I need advice on bows, arrows, tips and any knowledge you can give a greenhorn.

Thanks,
David
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:19 pm

First, go out and test-fire a handful of bows. It's a lot of personal preference out there. Do you want to shoot a traditional bow (recurve, long bow, horse bow, self bow etc)? Do you want to shoot a Compound bow...large axle to axle, compact, 30-70% let-off etc etc etc. (I don't know much about compound bows)
Poundage? Minimum is 40# for some states 45# in others. Average poundage would probably be around 65# with a let-off. *it won't feel like 65# when you pull it all the way back...allowing you to hold your shot longer and take aim.

If you go the route of compound, you have many other choices to consider with arrow rests, sights and other extras. This stuff is mostly a foreign language to me, so I'll leave that to somebody else.

Arrows/Broadheads: another matter of personal choice, as well as a decision that will ultimately be based on experience. Practice with a variety of arrows and screw on broadheads in various weights. The spine wieght of an arrow will be somwhat specific to the poundage of the bow behind it.
Some retailers sell individual arrows in various weights and composition. (aluminum, carbon, cedar) adn broadheads often come in three packs...some cheap, some big buck items. you'll find what works for you over time, and others can help you ge there faster.

Hunting. Largely the same, but you are going to have to get closer to be effective. where you position yourself is going to matter a whole lot more than it did with a gun.

I am starting to remember just how much you can do with your equipment so I'm gonna back off with the abundant info...especially since i really don't know it all.

Here is what I shoot if it will help:

Horne's Archery 62# Mountain recurve Takedown bow
Broadhead weight 100-125 gr
arrows with boradheads are just 2 inches longer than my target arrows, based on draw length

PSE kingfisher Recurve 45#
100 gr target tips
various carbon and aluminum arrows based on weight

Good luck, i hope this helps at least a little bit.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby David » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 am

I found this site and it has all kinds of info for people seeking knowledge on bows. The bottom of the page has a bunch of links that are very useful. I thought I'd post it for anyone else like me.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:43 pm

also the site www.archerytalk.com is an awesome forum for info. also you should check out a local proshop if you have one close. the guy at ours has shared a wealth of info and helped me get all my stuff set up. i wish now i would have known about him before i bought my bow off ebay because he is trying to clear out last years stuff for cheap
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby David » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks JJ, I found archery talk, but there is so much info and chatting there, it's hard to decipher out. I have also found a shop with an indoor range, but they are only open on weekdays until July. I'll go and see him some day, it's just hard right now.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Archery is a science, and a Art. You could get lucky and have a bow set up that shoots perfect, or you could be fighting a million different things to get your arrow to fly right! A good archery shop should set you up with a tuned bow, but my experience is that most just slap something together and it may or may not be tuned. After you shoot awhile your string will stretch and you will need to move your nock or have the bow retuned depending on your set up. I would get either a single or solo cam, or Bowtechs Binary cam. Those seem to have least amount of timing issues. Good luck if you have problems just ask questions here or at Archery talk.

Having the right spine on your arrows is critical, and a broadhead that flies good. You need to sight in with field points, and then make all those same shots with broad heads. It can be a challenge to get the two to fly the same.

Get a laser range finder if you don't want to miss a bunch of easy once in a lifetime shots. :oops:
Only one way to get there, it's in the middle of no where, you gotta get a little mud on the tires.

Correction! Used to have to get a litlle mud on the tires!

WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:18 pm

archery is a great sport. its hard for me to gun hunt anymore because its not a rush compared to bowhunting. up close, its a more level playing field.

BOW: a bow is all about personal preference. do you want speed, do you want it quiet, comfortable, long axle to axle, short.
its hard to have all these in a bow.
mathews: quiet, comfortable, its known as a hunters bow but has proven to be effective in competition. its not the fastest, but can make up for speed with smoothness.
Bowtech: known for speed. bowtechs look good, and have proven their name in the field and in competition. however, bowtechs can be difficult to get comfortable with and are not the best beginner bow.
PSE: smoking fast. these rather "unattractive" bows have been around forever and have changed a lot over the years. not the most comfortable bow, but its a lot of power in a small package.
Parker: comfortable and quiet, much like mathews, parker is a hunters bow. its not the fastest. but its an all around smooth bow.
Elite: the rookie of the heavy hitters. elite is a child of bowtech. this is a bow thats hard to find something wrong with. fast, smooth, quiet. my only complaint...its a little heavy and like the bowtech, takes a lot of getting use to.

Arrows: as far as hunting arrows, you want to find a middle ground in every aspect. depending on your draw weight and length you want the "right" arrow. a heavy arrow will have a heavier "punch". a light arrow will have more speed and a flatter shot. why do you want a middle ground? a heavy arrow means less error in yardage. and a lighter arrow gives you a nice flat shot but will lack on penetration if too light.

Tips: go shoot all the bows. your local pro shop will be more than happy to help. also read as much about equipment as you can.
a lesson i learned the expensive way was dont buy halfa&% stuff. you can always switch your bow sights, rest, ect. to your next bow.
i have all trophy ridge accessories on my parker. theyre great, and you should look into their stuff.
join a site like http://www.archerytalk.com you can ask questions learn about the newest stuff. and they have some GREAT deals on there. i bought PSE arrows from there for a third of the price.

i would start with a used bow and put nice stuff on it. that seems to work best for beginners.

get you a dvd or something to learn proper stance and form. it will pay off when you start taking long shots.

the release is important, like the bow, its all about personal comfort.

target: dont buy one of those layered targets. theyre great for the season hunter who shoots it 5 times a year. get you a bag. they last forever and the bag can be replaced cheap.

ive left out so much. if you have anymore questions just ask. :thumbsup:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby David » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:15 am

Well I made the plunge last night. I spent the first 1.5 hours talking with the owner, holding and shooting bows. I ended up going with a Mathews Drenalin. I realize it's not exactly a beginners bow, but it felt really good, was nice and quiet, and I like it. Over the next hour and a half he got me all set up, shooting paper to check flight, adjusting the loop, setting the poundage, rigging arrows and the works. I spent about half an hour at the range with it getting the 20 yard site set up and just getting comfortable with it. It came with 6 carbon arrows, field tips, a drop away rest, quiver, stabilizer, 3 pin fiber optic site and peep. The best part is we have a mutual friend and he ended up knocking the price off a good bit.

I didn't go with a used, because I felt for my first, I'd be better off having someone that's knowledgeable set it up and show me the ropes.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:32 am

a mathews is a great beginners bow! its probably the smoothest bow out there! thats great.
where did you go to get the bow?
what is your draw length and weight?
what kind of arrows did you get?

i can see it now David, you've messed up. Before long you will be going to a 5 pin site so you can shoot 60 yards. you'll be selling and buying crap just to have newer stuff. and that drenalin will be so wrapped up in gadgets you wont be able to reconize it. :rofl:
man! now i got to go shoot my bow......i'm actually going on a guided archery hunt this weekend. im excited, my friend went 2 weeks ago and saw 27 deer in 1 mornin. and this is no fences.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby David » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:52 am

I got the bow from Bowhunter Pro Shop here in Mobile.
The draw length is 27.5"
The poundage is set down to about 62#
Easton carbon storm arrows.
I went ahead and got a pack of muzzy broadheads and target and a case.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 am

sounds like you got it made. you should be able to get a decent speed. did they chrono the bow? i couldnt find the specs on your arrow.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby David » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 am

No we didn't check the speed. He stayed almost an hour after close to help me out, and I forgot about asking. Man I'm ready for work to be over so I can go shoot. :yes:
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby manitobawoj » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:52 pm

David, you might just have to come up for an archery hunt in late August. I have got a few beauties picked out for you!
Insert David here.....
Didn't meen to highjack the thread but this gives great incentive to practice, practice, and practice. I know you loved the duck/goose hunt this past season. Can you imagine sitting in a tree perched over one of these? I'm doing alot of filming this year and it would be a good learning experience for you as it would be coached by me. Anyway, glad to see you picked up the stick and string, good luck.
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby David » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Those are some nice bucks Kris. I don't see Drew making it back up there soon, although he would like to. I might be able to come back up there within the next two years. Practiced quite a bit Sunday and got my broad heads sited in. It's going to be fun, being able to target practice at home.

Here's a pic from my trail cam of the biggest buck I've seen on my land, to bad it's just a one horner.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby manitobawoj » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Nice one, keep up the practice and look into some 3-d courses to go shoot, kind of like sporting clays. It's a great way to practice range estimation or learning to use your range finder (a must have item) :thumbsup:
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 pm

manitobawoj wrote:Nice one, keep up the practice and look into some 3-d courses to go shoot, kind of like sporting clays. It's a great way to practice range estimation or learning to use your range finder (a must have item) :thumbsup:

they let y'all use range finders in 3d? never heard of that :huh: thats the hole point. you got to estimate.
but anyway, for hunting purposes a RF is a must. and 3d is great!
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby manitobawoj » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:43 pm

No, but it is a great way to get used to using one in a realistic setting for learning not competition.
manitobawoj
hunter

Return to Archery