Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

draw weight

Postby swack'em and stack'em25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:36 pm

what one would you pick to hunt deer and bear..50-60 or 60-70
mike
swack'em and stack'em25
hunter

Postby David » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Either will work fine, the main thing is to find one you are comfortable pulling.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:27 pm

depends on your bow, draw length, and arrows. long draw length (29 inches or more) will allow you to give up some weight and still maintain your speed. also, which arrows do you shoot?
but it comes down to what david said. you shoot what you shoot best at. i personally think 50 - 55 is a little lite for deer. but i know guys who shoot that with super lite arrows, but their penetration is not the best. theres a certain break over point in kinetic energy.

i pull between 65 - 70 and thats more than plenty. with a decent broadhead, your arrow should pass straight through.

if your deciding on a new bow i would get 60 - 70. that way you know you'll have plenty. plus, the more you shoot the easier it is to pull that weight back, and you'll want as much speed as you can get. :thumbsup:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby bowhunter20 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:32 pm

If you can pull 70 use that one. A bow at full poundage at 60 pounds will fire better and faster then a bow at 61 pounds but not full poundage. This is because when you have your limbs loose it looses speed and acuaracy. So a bow at full poundage is the better choice. ANd either of theese poundages will be fine for bear.

I shoot 55 pounds and it has done bypass on deer so power is not a big issue.
__________________________________Bow Hunter
bowhunter20
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:50 am

You should talk to a shop tech where your looking at bows. As stated above Kenetic Energy plays heavily into this and many factors require changes in your setup to have enough KE.

If you use Mechanical Broad heads you want as heavy a bow as you can handle. They eat up the KE to open and force that huge blade through all the resistance.

Light arrows reduce KE and heavy arrow increase it. Light arrow shoot flatter than heavy ones but the average archery shot is said to be 90% of the time in less than 15 yards, so why go light?

I use hand made bows with way less speed and KE than compounds. I only use 2 bladed broad heads made form heavy tool steel and the arrow weight in at 600 to 650 grains. These arrows will break ribs and go right through a deer rib cage and stick in the ground.

IMO, without knowing how heavy of arrows and if your using mechanicals makes a big deal in this decision. 50-60 should be perfect with a 450 grain arrow and 60-70 should be it when your down around 300-350 grains.

This is something else most archers do not know. I only learned it from making my own bows. The lighter your arrow the noiser your bow. This is extremely noticable in non-compound bows. Compounds are so highly stressed I don't know if you could use all the pent up energy if you shot 1000 grain arrows. All energy not imparted to the arrow leaves the bow as sound energy!!!!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 am

good point cupped. i agree for the most part. KE is important in big game.
however, mechs can be KE best friend or worst enemy. the ones that flip open from the front do kill KE, but the ones who slide back make the most of KE.
arrow weight is different for compound and recurve. im gettin almost the perfect balance of speed and KE with an arrow just over 400 grains. 274 fps, and #65 - 70 (29 inch draw). i get about 65 ft/lbs of KE.
a buddy of mine did prove me wrong the other day. he has a 390 grain arrow. 295 fps and #68, 29 inch draw. he's gettin 75ft/lbs.
but again. the more weight the better KE. but if you make it too light the long shots will be hard.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby murdock » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:33 pm

I pull about 45 to 50 on my Onida bow, but I am shooting a 2413s out of the bow. what i did was tune it untill the tip was on cinter at 40 when reless then hit cinter. even thought I am shooting logs the nock down power is grate.
when the going gets tuff just kick the pig and do it
murdock
hunter

Postby Swanyriver » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Go to the bow shop and get one of each on the maxed setting. Have the tech put it to your draw length then do 2 things. first stand up and draw it back and see how that feels. Then ask for a block/layered target, sit on the target and draw both back. If the 70 lber makes you wiggle all over the place or you do the Zeus impersonation to get it drawn back it is too much. The never would have made the law of 40lbs minimum for draw weight if they didnt think it could harvest an animal. :thumbsup:
Swanyriver
hunter

Return to Archery