Recurves

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Recurves

Postby holton39 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:39 am

Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of traditional archery and I'm looking for any advice I can get. I picked up a Ben Pearson Stallion recurve, 50lbs at 28''. I haven't decided if I want to shoot cedar shafts or aluminum, any suggestions?
holton39
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:54 am

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I do.

For target practice I use aluminum and carbon arrows. 45# PSE Kingfisher. I also use cedar arrows, but only arrows with my wooden 62# TD recrurve.

I hunt only with the 62# TD and cedar arrows.

I find that the lighter poundage allows me to stay focused on my form when I shoot the heavier bow. I prefer my targets within 30 yards, but am fairly prficient beyond that. I find that a heavy cedar arrow shoots better for my style than an aluminum or rcarbon arrow
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby holton39 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just try a little of each and see what shoots best with my style and bow. I will say that I like the looks of the cedar shafts the best!
holton39
hunter

Postby Maine4Me » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:51 am

I shoot gold tip carbon arrows with a wood grain finish. i shoot these out of my fiberglass recurves and longbows. i also shoot the same out of my home made self bows. i shoot carbon because i'm lazy and i don't have to have several differnt arrows with different spines. Also i figure if bows can be made with glass and still called "traditional" why not use carbon (a by product of natural combustion). Also you can add tube inserts to increase the weight and increase penetration depending on the game you hunt. Just my 2 cents :hammer:
Population "Not Many!"
Maine4Me
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 pm

i shoot all samick traditional bows and i shoot easton axis arrows. i had gold tips before butthey are a little light for good penetration. 125gr feildtip and broad heads. 4" 2 degree offset feathers. pretty good combonation
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:06 am

I have shoot traditional fiberglass recurves, compounds and now have been shooting hand made self bows. I suggest you start out with aluminum arrows. They are more consistant and you will have more than enough on your plate to learn to be consistant with your form. later you can move to a heavier bow, if you need it, but be careful not to over bow yourself. It's a huge difference having to hold 65 pound bows than to just draw them like a compound.

If you want to be fully traditional and shoot wood shafts you can do that after you learn more about the bow and matching arrows and have your form and shooting down. Arow making, IMO, is more difficult than making the bows themselves, but if the bow is center sot as most recurves are it becomes easier with spine weights of about 10 to 15 pounds over draw weight.

Your going to need to practice several times a week to get good, but it's a lot more fun. Also try and learn instictive shooting and not gap shooting if you can. It's much more flexible and lets you shoots off faster while hunting.

Best of luck and ask away with questions. Did I spit too much out already?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Collecchi » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I just got in to the world of archrey my self and the best thing to do is go to your locel bow range and talk with the old guys most of them love to talk and show you first hand what to do and what it takel to hit a soft ball at 40 yds with a recurve
Collecchi
Newb

Postby Foxxtrot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:30 pm

I shoot TD Samick recurve 28@55#. I practice with both aluminum and cedar. Hunt with Cedar

http://www.thearrowsmith.com/

this is where I get the arrows from. Opening day tomorrow.
Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby seabee67 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 am

Carbons are not very traditional but they shoot good and blow right through deer. I shoot gold tips through my recurve and have one arrow I have killed three deer with. Wood arrows are labor intensive(comparitavely) they are beatiful and more traditional but dont' hold up as well as carbon or aluminun.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good
seabee67
hunter

Postby ClintV » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:34 am

I use both wood and carbon.
I say "wood" because I've used cedar, poplar, maple, ash, and hex shafts. I like the maple and ash for the heavy weight, but they are a bear to straighten.
I mostly use Grizzly-Stik carbons. They are a full length taper carbon shaft from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. They are expensive, but tough as nails, and the taper makes them very forgiving of spine.

They work good too. :wink:
ClintV
hunter

Postby holton39 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow, that's a nice buck. I would love to take an animal like that with my recurve. I picked up some aluminum arrows at a sport shop here, they were my size according to the Easton chart, so we'll see how they shoot.
holton39
hunter

Return to Archery