got ?s

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

got ?s

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 am

I am 100% ignorant of bow hunting. However we have gotten our hands on a small land lease for the next 5 years and i would like to be able to squeeze a little more deer hunting out of it before waterfowl season starts. Once i have a chance to get ont he water, a deer stand just doesnt look as appealing!

I have too many qwuestionst o even try to put into one post. I jsut figured i would start this thread as a way for me to keep em all ont he same place.

If you guys were to suggest a bow for a beginner what would you say? I am not looking to spent $1000 on it. But i dotn want a piece of crap that will fall apart either. The few times that i have shot a bow, i enjoyed it. So i am sure that i will be practicing A LOT jsut for the heck of it.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gcbowhunter » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:54 pm

My first bow was a parker that cost about 400 dollars, but it was a package that came with the bow, a sight, arrow rest, and a quiver. I would suggest looking at something similar to this for getting started. I killed two deer with it, and outshot a lot of my buddies with more expensive bows.
gcbowhunter
hunter

Postby hunter97051 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:14 pm

The best advise I can give you is to find a pro shop and get set up with the best equipment you can aford. Make sure they set you up with the correct draw length, a draw weight you can handle to hold steady, and arrows that are the correct spine for the weight and broadhead that you want to shoot... :thumbsup: Carl
"TAKE EM"!!! "TAKE EM"!!! MAN HOW DID YA MISS ALL THEM! THE DOGS LOOKIN PRETTY UPSET HE ONLY SHAKES OFF ON GUYS THAT MISS
hunter97051
hunter

Postby Swanyriver » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 pm

Diamond Black Ice and then get your 200$ in accesories. You will be very happy.
Swanyriver
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm not a archery guy by any means but I just shopped for a new bow. I wanted to spend $400 for the bow alone. Then I figured I would assemble my choice of components for it. So after asking a lot of questions over the phone and shooting a lot of bows( at sportsmans warehouse and my local gun /archery club), I found that I liked the Martin Bengal the best. Then I put an ad on craigslist and bought a AR-31. (see deal or no deal thread). I'm pretty sure it will work out for me but its still risky to buy a used bow. Everyone has told me that its a bad idea for a beginner to buy used. Make sure you know the basics of bow fit before you buy a used one. If you go to a bow shop and they won't set you up to shoot a couple bows, go somewhere else. I found that at a "Pro" shop if I wasn't buying bowtech or matthews he didn't have time for me. But like I said I'm a newbie. I might have just had a few bad experiences.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:09 am

Beginner bows are not hard to come by.
1.) bows NOT for beginners:
avoid bows with any extremes. such as real fast IBO, or any strange size variations. Be careful about PSE, Bowtech, Elite.

2.) Good Beginner Bows:
Good beginner bows usually fall in an average spec range. such as IBO around 300 - 320. or 31 - 40" axle/axle. These bows will usually be Mathews, Parker, Diamond, Bear, Browning.

Cams: you can go with binary or single cams. they are exactly what they sound like. single cams tend to be more "user friendly" but the binary cams are faster and are said to be more accurate. most good beginner bows will be single cams.

Sights: sights are sights, no sight neccesarily is better than any other. all have set pins to aim with. the differences come into play with how "user friendly" they are. (ease of adjustments/style). you want to go with fiber optics. they work well in low light conditions. go with .019 pins. theyre perfect. also, go ahead and get 5 pins on that sight. you may not use all of them at first, but it wont be long and you'll be shooting 50 yds.

Rest: rest are all very different. most bows come with a whisper bisket. this is a good rest for a beginner. however, i would reccomend you getting a drop-away style rest. they are a little more accurate and a WB can mess up fletching. a drop-away just works smoother. now this is not the only types. there are many stationary rest. all will work fine, but i prefer a good drop-away like trophy ridge, trophy taker, rip cord, limb driver.

string: theres a guy i shoot with that says, "factory strings are on the bow to hold it together until you get after market strings." i was a nonbeliever until i got a set. it does make a difference.

Noise: on a hunting bow a good set of noise/vibration dampeners is a good idea. it will shoot smoother and more quiet. (major difference.

Stab: most people underestimate a good stabilizer. depending on balance of the bow. a 7 - 12" stabilizer will improve consistency in your shot.

Release: if you use one, a good release is important. get one that can be adjusted. some guys are good finger shooters, but you dont see too many pros using fingers. theres a reason for that.

Arrows: this is where everbody disagrees. but i like an arrow weight somewhere around 400 grains pulling 60 - 70# for hunting. i personally would not hunt with an arrow under 350 grains. you need to do a little research, arrows are VERY important. when youre ready just ask and i'll give you the ol' "kenitic energy" talk. :thumbsup:

Advice: set up an account on Archerytalk.com, you can learn a lot and get great deals. its like Ebay for archery.
also, keep an eye out in your local classifieds. nothing wrong with a used bow, plus you can get a better bow for a cheaper price.
archery is an ever changing technology, im always buying and selling. your gonna want better and better stuff.

most important part of archery: stance/ grip/ anchor point....get a book or video too see proper techniques. or you can ask. if you dont have these right you will not be accurate or have consistantcy.

warning: archery is like duck hunting, once you do it your hooked. you will spend money, but you will love it!
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby don taylor » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:09 am

Another thing, When I was at my club learning the basics about compounds and started shooting several club pro's and instructors noticed that I had never shot and gave me pointers on stance and other things. They said the hardest thing is to get someone, who has not shot with instruction, to break their bad habits they developed on their own. Because I had no experience and was a clean slate I picked up the proper technique from the start. Now of course I have to practice, but I know I'm starting down the right path.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby roughstock23 » Mon May 19, 2008 1:52 pm

Buy a Reflex, I looked at new bows and was prepared to spend the necesary money, but I had a friend who shot a reflex and i tried it and liked it. No, its not the same as the mathews or even the new Hoyts ( Hoyt makes Reflex) but it's fast smooth and quiet and a lil cheaper. Just shoot one and try it!
"Call em close, Smack em in the lips" ruffryder19@myspace.com
Buck Gardner Pro Staff
roughstock23
hunter

Postby Swanyriver » Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 pm

That reflex is heavy!!!!!
make sure you buy a monopod to hold your arm up after some practice!
Swanyriver
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon May 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Dang, i had forgotten about this post! I meant to post an update.

I ended up getting a Diamond Rock package gun. Since then i have dropped the Hostage rest and Tru-Glo sight for a Torphy Taker shaky hunter rest and a G5 XR sight. Added a custom braided (by me) wrist sling, Zebra strings, G5 Meta Peep, Alpine Soft-Loc quiver, and a Lore stabilizer.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon May 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Looks like a good setup man, keep us posted when you start killin stuff with it. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery