Bowfishing

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Bowfishing

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm going to get into bowfishing now that I have an extra bow and I have a few questions for you guys if you can help me out. I was wondering what yard to set my pin or pins at, I don't think you'd need more than one but I don't know. Also, do you have to aim different in water because you view it differently on the surface? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Whitehorse » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:44 pm

honestly I only use pins for left to right assistance. Almost no one shoots with pins

as far as aiming... aim below them. After that, drop it another foot lower and you'll do fine!!! best advice... is to go out on a dock, sink 20 oz bottles at 5 10 and maybe 15 yards if you want. Shoot em at 2-3 feet deep. Then go to 4-5 feet, and you'll be ready to hunt... I run a guide service, and I do the bottle shoot for about 30 minutes on newbies, and it always surprises me how well they shoot. This works well cause a 20 oz bottle is rediculusly small, but that's the key, aim smal, miss small right? once they get a 30 lb carp in front of em, it's cake walk... best of luck, feel free to pm me
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby Whitehorse » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:46 pm

I will add that you should get a bottle retriever, in the 610 model vs the 310... for two reasons... first, the 610 is easier to take off, as they have a quick mount system, and they also have an arrow holder... if you have already bought the 310, i'd seriously consider returning it!

the 20 extra dollars are worth the arrow holder, so you are never untangling...

also, get an arrow with a slide... I know some that tie their arrow at the back, and all have shot themselves at one time or another... it's not worth it...

lastly, have fun
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby NJDelt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:31 pm

I will add that you should get a bottle retriever, in the 610 model

I agree! The arrow holder makes everything that much easier. I would suggest getting rid of the pins all together. I took the barbs off one of my fish arrows and just practiced "accurate pointing." They arent far shots so you should be able to just lift it up and know where the arrow is going to hit. One tip; if they are in water deeper than a foot and you think you are aiming low enough, drop it some more.

My dad and bros were in upstate NY a few weeks ago and ended up with 49 over a weekend. Here is some of the carnage:

This bottom one was a 20lb'er

Most of our shooting is out of the canoe. One person paddles and the other shoots. Then we switch.

We also found a pretty sweet canal:
Image[/img]

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and feel free to ask any questions or give any comments.
NJDelt
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Very nice. Now I have conflicting stories. Whitehorse says sight and NJ says no sight. I went out today with no sight and missed about 15 times, then finally stuck a carp but my arrow came out. :mad: My guess is that the head got turned a couple times and the barbs reversed. Should've stuck with the Muzzy's I guess. I tried to practice before hand at the creek before I hit the lake, but it's rocky and needless to say after breaking the first 20 dollar arrow I went home. I found out that low isn't really low enough, and learned alot today so it wasn't all a loss. I'm going to put a sight on tonight and wear them out on wednesday. I had about five carp eating bread I threw out at one time today and I couldn't hit a one. :thumbsdown: Oh well hopefully I'll have some pics wednesday night and not just a shot it and got away story. By the way the carp I hit was a 30lber :rofl: Who know's maybe tomorrow it will be 50. :biggrin: Nah, it was probably a lil' guy compared to what y'all are used to.

By the way NJ what kind of fishing heads are you using? I was using the Muzzy one's then I shot a rock while practiceing then I shot another rock with my other one when I missed. So then I was stuck with the ones that came with the 610 combo. They remind me of and expandable broadhead for deer and they unscrew and the blades reverse. The head spins too easy though and I guess that's how it got off.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Whitehorse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 am

your' on the right track, this is how ya learn!!

I reccomend sites to everyone of my clients, it isn't so much there for aiming, as it is for a reference!!

I always forget to tell people to stayn away from the rocks. I couldn't understand what arrow tip you are using, as many twist, then barbs fold back. how long are the barbs? If they are more thna like an inch (you'll know when they are longer) I would ditch them. I think your talkin about a tip that comes on a green osprey arrow, maybe? if it's black, and the barbs are kinda twisted 45 degrees? they suck too
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:00 pm

No it was this one:

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_in ... ucts_id=37

Ticked me off. Oh well, now I know what not to use. I put the sight on my bow at work today. I took of half part of the piece you attach your reel componets to you bow and now the sight fits. I'm just going to put one pin on there, I shouldn't need any more than that. I plan on going out again on wednesday night and see if I can't get one. I had a blast even though I didn't get one on the bank.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:50 pm

The arrow ams one is a good one. Just make sure the arrow is always tight otherwise if you hit one and they spin like they tend to do the barbs will be released and fish off. I still wouldn't use sights. I think they get in the way. It takes time to get good at it. It took me about 2 weeks of everyday shooting to get into the form I'm at now. Which is at about 80% hit ratio.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Went out last night and wound up with these:

My first fish:

And here's a drum:

My brother also shot his first fish (which was also a carp) with my bow.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Congrats. Things can only get worse from here on.

If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Good greif that's alot of fish. I can't afford a boat now, or I'd have something other than a canoe and my feet to hunt from. Where do you think the best spots to look for fish are? I don't know it was here or somewhere else, but I heard where creeks and the sort meet a larger body of water are good.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:33 pm

It depends on the time of year and the water temperature as with any other fish. We shoot tournaments all around the country when we can afford it and the main thing to finding fish is to spend time looking for them. When we hit a new body of water we get a map and hit the shallow coves to start with then were looking for vegetation growing below the surface. Right now our fish are not in the coves any more. The only place we found fish our last tournament were gar floating in deep water in dead timber. Main thing is to spend time on the water and learn what the fish do. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 pm

when you pull your bow up to shoot, keep aiming lower untill you feel like your goin to totally wiff. thats usually how i do it, and have better than average success. instictive shooting really takes time though.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:05 pm

That's why I put a sight on there. I shot pretty well for the first time. 66% ain't bad, although it was just three fish I shot at.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Youll loose the sight in time.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby NJDelt » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Yo smack-

That is some awesome shooting....Love the pics. You ever go for sting rays? Never been myself but looks like they make some hard runs.
NJDelt
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:25 am

No rays yet, It is deffinately on my list of things to do. I have friends that have done it and seen the video they made and they really fight.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Broozer5 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Nothing that compares to Smackaduck, but it was my first time, and I am now hooked. Over the week we probly shot about 50 or 60 carp. The biggest was 15lbs. We dont have too big of carp here in Washington.
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 pm

here's the biggest one we've ever taken, we get them in the low to mid twenties all the time, but this guy was bouncing the scale inbetween 33 and 34 lbs.!!! this is my buddy holding it up, what a hog!!!!

"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 am

Was that at the Winchester Wasteway Broozer?
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Broozer5 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Nice spot Choclab, I take it youve been there before? Pretty hard to find without GPS...
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 pm

If you ever wanna hook up for a day and kill some carp let me know. I'll blow the dust of the Alumacraft and we'll hit it.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby ghilliehunter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:59 pm

I use pins but i'm the only guy I know of. other than that aim a foot low.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Return to Archery