Duck Hunting Forum banner

broadheads

5K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Greenhead Grappler 
#1 ·
Well I want to switch to a mechanical head and was wondering if any one had a favorite. I am leaning toward the rage 2 blade or the undertaker from trophy ridge but am open to all suggestions. I do think I want one with rear blade deployment though and 100 grs.

#2 ·
i my self prefer fixed 2 blade, by magnus, but if I was going to shoot mech's, i would use the grim reapers,they come in 100 gr, 2 blade. i have shot them and i think they are the best of the mech's. accurate, positive deployment of blades, and they can take one heck of a beating.

#3 ·
I used several brands over the last few years
I killed and recovered every deer I shot

But I was never realy happy
Had blades break off and 1 poor blood trail

Can't say the expandibles are bad
Just I don't like that little voice in the back of my head :huh: :huh:
When I draw on a deer

So this year I switched back
I will be shooting 100 gr Muzzy MX-4 on my primary bow and crossbow

But my old backup bow I will stick with the tryed and true 115 gr Muzzy's

John

#4 ·
Go with the Rocky Mountain Snyper 2 Blade, I've killed several deer and it made some serious damage. i have no complaints and i know serveral others who shoot them and love them. i may experiment with slick tricks this year b/c i was told they fly like mechs.(somebody told me the same thing about muzzys :no: ) so we'll see?

I dont see why everyone doesnt shoot mechs? i guess to him his own but i havent come across a fixed yet that i didnt have to tweak the site a little. at 30-40 yards even a few inches is a big deal, and i dont wanna tear up a target getting broadheads tuned.
mechs are the way to go :thumbsup: . win win situation.

#5 ·
I shoot broadheads all year, just my prefence, i guess, as for tuning broadheads, my magnus 2 bladed stinger buzzcut's, are very accurate, i am always taking feathers off, plus buying new arrows because i am sticking another thrue another, my local archery shop loves me for it because i am keeping them busy with building arrows for me.

#9 ·
well thanks wigunner30 I really was not looking at the reapers but after visiting there website and reading customer reviews on cabelas the grim reaper seems to shine above all so I will try the razor tip 100gr. with 1 3/4 in. cut. watched alot of footage on youtube of them being shot through barrels and plywood which was prettty impressive. not long to go here sept. 13 for opening day and I hope to post up some great results.

#11 ·
The only one's I would definatly stay away from are the Black Mamba expandables. I bought a pack of them and shot them into my target and the blades broke right off of them. :thumbsdown: Maybe I got a bad apple, but I won't buy them again. Anywho, at Gander it's hard for us to keep the Rage broadheads in stock. They sell like hot cakes, and I haven't heard any complaints. Also, don't leave out Rocket Steelheads. They are a great expandable, everything is made from one solid piece of steel exept the blades. The guy at a local proshop took them to Africa to hunt with and they worked great. Good luck with your decision, the only thing I would say is to go to Cabela's and Bass Pro's websites and read reviews. That's what I do before I buy anything. I'm going to shoot the Rage 2 blades on my new High Country Iron Mace I just bought.

#12 ·
on the 1 3/4 just make sure ur bow has enough kinetic energy to get a good pass through with that big of broadhead. i would think on a deer anything that has a arrow kinetic over 50lbs should easily do the job. u need ur total arrow wieght and bow speed to punch it into a table to figure it out. the 1 3/4 reapers are new this year and i just got a pack to try over my 1 3/8 cut ones.

#16 ·
Don't shoot spitfires. The tips of the blades are to close to the tip. If you get a shot that's to angled then the blade will catch before the tip and royally screw your shot up. Go with Grim Reaper, or Rage (Grim Reaper preferred). Cheap isn't always good. :thumbsup: And whatever you do, don't shoot the new Tru-Fire expandable. Don't believe me? Watch the great penetration on this pig :rolleyes:

If you want a good video of a unbiased broadhead test watch this. No factory is putting it on, just an ordinary guy-

#17 ·
never thought about that before with the spitfires, but wouldnt that generally be true for all mech broadheads. any quartering shot will make one blade open before the rest and potential screw up the shot.

i bought the spitfires last year and never actually used them, so i figured i start this year off with'em. at the time i bought them, they were the only mech broadhead i heard anything good about.

#19 ·
nick.merrill said:
never thought about that before with the spitfires, but wouldnt that generally be true for all mech broadheads. any quartering shot will make one blade open before the rest and potential screw up the shot.

i bought the spitfires last year and never actually used them, so i figured i start this year off with'em. at the time i bought them, they were the only mech broadhead i heard anything good about.
Nope, the Grim Reapers give you a good quarter inch or so in front of the blades. The whole trocar tip goes in the animal before the blades do, so they don't open too early. Go to their webpage and find the videos. They shoot them into plywood at a 60 degree angle and still go straight in. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
I did a lot of research on the expandable. I ended up deciding to try out the Grim Reapers as well.

However, I ended up changing my hunting strategy to ground blinds. And it doesn't make any sense to shoot expandable thru mesh windows. So i decided to try the Grim Reaper Hades fixed blades.

So far they are working great on a target. If the expendables are as good as their fixed blades, you wont go wrong with them.

#22 ·
waterfowl slammer said:
I use the Rocket Aeroheads Buckblaster Broadheads
they have 6 blades that are 1-1/8" in flight with a 2-3/4" cutting diameter. Since I started useing them I have a river of blood to follow to get the deer and usualy they dont make it out of site before they fall over. Cabelas sells them.
2 3/4"....i bet that makes a hell of a hole

#26 ·
Was it me or did the fixed blades all turn out better than the mechanicals?

I used to shoot the innerlocs now a two blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.