Range Finder

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Range Finder

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:21 am

I'm looking into getting a range finder on friday when I get paid. I was wondering what everybody recommended. Let's keep it under $200 if we can. I was looking at the Bushnell 450 or a Nikon 550. Probably looking towards the Bushnell, although with my 20% discount at Gander the Nikon is doable.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choclab » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:58 am

I would go with the smaller and easiest operating of the two. Lotta help, right?? lol.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby David » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:17 am

Preacher, check out archerytalk.com's classifieds. I got a
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport range finder for $75 shipped at the beginning of the year. There are always people looking to upgrade and sell last years gear at half price.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:55 am

I'll check that out david. I'll most likely buy new though. On optics I try to always buy new.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:43 pm

the only advise, i can give, is when you by a range finder, is you get what you pay for. I like the bushnell finders with the ARC. this gives you true shooting distance , so if you are in a tree stand and a deer is at say 32 yards according to line of site distance read, but the range finder will also at the same time tell you to aim like it is at 23 yards due to angle . price ranges from $299 to $320 from cabelas or bass pro for the 1000 yard arc model. this model works from 5 yards to 1000 yards. I own the 1500 yard model because I shoot longer distance at prairie dogs and other varments, plus works great for big game like deer so i just bought this model, but it ranges from 5 yrds out to 1500 yards. also remember that ranger finders may say they range 800 yards, but it will range a deer at only 400 yrd's., a tree ay 650 yrd's, and reflective target at 800 yards. the 1500 model I just got range's deer at 1000 yrd, a tree at 1300 yrd and a reflective target at 1500 yard's. do your research before buying.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:10 pm

Too late. I already picked up a Nikon 550 ProStaff when I got paid friday. It and 7 Easton A/C/C's cost me 240 with my employee discount at Gander.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby reggart » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:37 pm

I have used an old bushnell yardage pro 600 for the last 10 years. It is extremely dependable and easy on batteries (most of them are anyway).

Cons- Bulky and hollow sounding when banged against something. Also it is absolutely terrible in low light conditions.

I recommend the Nikon if your in that price range. Quite a bit better light gathering. My experience has been that it takes all of the stars to align in order to get a shot with a bow and when you get there, the last thing you want is not being able to use the equipment you have been packing around for the last 5 miles straight up a hill. You want something that works in low light conditions.
reggart
hunter

Return to Archery