feathers

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

feathers

Postby dwaw » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:30 pm

i inherited an old recurve. when i bought a new string the store guy told me i needed feather fletchings. is he right? if so, why? thanks
dwaw
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Because feathers will give better. The rest on a recurve is a shelf. The feathers will fold down better when the go over it. The plastic vanes won't as well. You'll get way better consistancy with feathers.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

feathers

Postby dwaw » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:49 pm

that makes sense. thanks. i've looked at gander mtn, walmart, ****'s sporting goods. no luck yet. for now all i'll be doing is target practice. thanks again
dwaw
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm

You can go to gander or somewhere and buy some shafts and feathers seperately and buy a fletching machine so you can fletch your own.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

feathers

Postby dwaw » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:50 pm

thanks for the suggestion. i'll probably try to buy a few arrows first and see how it goes. if it turns into a hobby i'll probably do what you suggest. i'd like to get my 13 yo daughter familiar w/bows. she took to the air rifle really well. thanks again dwaw
dwaw
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:10 pm

i use feathers in my recurves and all of my compounds, i never had a problem, and it works for me,
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:38 am

You don't have to shoot from the shelf on your recurve. You can put a flipper style rest on it if you choose. That will allow you to shoot vanes(plastic) if you want. I prefer feathers because they are more forgiving and just go with the whole traditional style better.
I'm sure if you look around you'll find a traditional archery shop that can help you out. If you post a general area you're located, someone here will probably be able to point you to one in your neck of the woods.
If you can't find one in your local area try Raptor Archery online. They are located in Hood River, Oregon. Here is a link.
http://www.raptorarchery.com/
Ted runs the place and you won't find anyone more helpful.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Return to Archery