Grim Reaper Vs. Rage

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Grim Reaper Vs. Rage

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:39 pm

I've been basically an advocate to the Rage heads and was REALLY thinking about using them on the new bow. Now that I've been seeing the videos by Grim Reaper, I'm now at a crossroads. I now think I'll be switching to Grim Reapers. I know that the tests could be set up, so I was seeing who uses which one on here and what they think. I saw the GR steel barrel test and the Rage exploded, that just about sold me. I still like the rear deployment of the Rage, but GR has really peaked my intrest now.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WIgunner30 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 am

everyone knows i shoot grim reapers. i got onto them last year when i got handed a dvd of there product. i shot muzzy for years and after seeing the video switched. a buddy of mine shoots rages but watching the video on there website there is basically no comparing the too. im not saying the rage is a bad head and i know they penetrate and drop deer cause my buddy shoots them. my reapers do leave a bigger hole in a deer and now they have come out with the massive 1 3/4" broadheads that i will be using. after seeing the steel barrel test and seeing the rage explode when it hit it and the grim reaper penetrated through unharmed i know i have the the strongest best penetrating broadhead on the market on the end of my arrow. both deer i have shot with the reapers ive had the best bloodtrails ive ever had. Oh yeah i forgot they fly fricken awesome just like field points.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:37 pm

I was at the same crossroad and chose the GR. Go to cabelas and you can read tons of reviews on both heads and I think you will also go with the GR. Thanks again wi for turning me on to them.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 pm

I shoot both but I happen to have a new package of GRs, so looks like I'll be shootin those come September 6.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3 ... re=related

Yeah the GR's got beat up in this one, but not near as bad as any other expandable. I've never liked the new tru fire expandables, and after seeing that hog hunt I know why.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cast-n-blast » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 am

I shot both of these expandables last year. I started with the Grim Reaper earlier in the season & I shot a young whitetail buck. Then later in the season I shot a doe with the Rage 3 blade. As far as flight characteristics go, both fly extremly true, but make no mistake, you will need to sight in with either because they DO fly differently than field points despite their claims. As far as the GR, it has fantastic bone penetration properties with their Trocrazor tips, I had a clean pass through through at least one shoulder and one lung, but failed to recover the animal due to such a small blood trail which tends to be the norm with the way they expand. But as far as the Rage 3 blade goes, fairly durable (I've heard of durability problems with the 2 blade), & outright devistating!!! Blood trail like no other! It looked like she was shot with a 12 ga slug & someone was pouring bllod with a ladel. I'll be shooting the Rages again this year for sure, but I'll also be shooting some G5 Tekan 2's I purchased on sale!
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby gcbowhunter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 am

I have shot on doe with the 2 blade rage and didn't get a complete pass through, and she didn't leave a drop of blood. On the other hand, I killed 3 deer with grim reapers last season, and all three of them were the shortest, biggest blood trails I have seen.

I know a lot of ppl have had success with the rages, but I have herd a lot of bad stories about the blades opening during flight, and bad penetration, and very few bad stories about the grim reapers.

Also, one of the deer I shot with the grim reaper was quartering away, and the broadhead opened perfectly.
gcbowhunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Well lets get some GR's and go barrel huntin........check out swacker broadheads and add another lane to your crossroad :yes:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:21 pm

I still like the snypers. but I like rage too and I'm sure the reapers are great.
I gotta say that barrel video was kind of stupid. thats like shooting arrows into steel to see which ones break better. totally pointless. base your opinions on game damage, exit holes, etc... not irrelevant applications.
the rage package does not say "for use on steel barrels"
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 am

The barrel video just shows how tuff the broadheads really are. Sure you aren't going to shoot them, but the shoulder of an animal is pretty tuff. I've also heard horror stories about the Rage either not opening, opening too early, and stuff like that. If you make a bad shot with them and hit the shoulder, I'm not too sure they'd stay togather. I just ordered some Grim Reapers from another Gander Mtn in North Carolina, and they should be here this week. That's what I'm shooting this year.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 am

I realize it was showing toughness, but shoot the things into the shoulder of a pig or a deer cadaver. My point was that I could do the "solid steel beam test" and they all would suck. When somebody finds an area that their product excels in they test it compared to all others and call it unbiase.
but on another note
I've also heard some bad things with the rage like opening to soon, I like the snypers b/c the bands keep them closed. As soon as someone makes a fixed blade that truly flies like a field tip they will be a rich man. I'll buy them every year. Without correct shot placement toughness doesnt mean a whole lot.
Tell me how the reapers do though, I may give them a try.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Will do. :thumbsup: Hopefully I'll have you pictures of the test subject in 11 days. That is as long as the guy sent my broadheads. I got the 1 3/8" cut because there wasn't anybody working in the stores that had the 1 3/4" cut when I ordered them. We'll see how they do, I found one at my store and started playing with it and cut the dog crap out of my fingers. Helpful hint, when you're cutting peep sight tubing to test sharpness don't tye it to your bow press, and when you hit metal on the press with a blade, don't use more force. I had to use the super glue type fletching glue to close it up. The garbage can looked like someone was killed in it.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm

So I just did a little test between a couple broadheads. All were 100 grains and shot through a 55# High Country Iron Mace with a 27" draw. I took a Rocket Steelhead, Grim Reaper Razortip, and the old Muzzy 3 blade. I was seeing if they really worked as advertised (don't fuss about the setup, it cost me an Easton A/C/C and a field tip, I shot cardboard not backed by the target. :stouff: )

Anywho here's the setup. I took a box from a Gander Mtn hang on stand (yes the stand was removed :biggrin: ) and shot it from 20 yards with each in different spots on the same target. I wasn't really going for accuracy, so I don't know if they fly like field points. I was just trying to make sure they each had their own seperate area to do their thing.

To answer everyones question, the only head to performed as advertised was the Muzzy. The Steelhead and Grim Reaper didn't open through the first layer of card board, but were both open by the second layer which was about 3" behind the first.

Penetration? Believe it or not, the Grim Reaper out penetrated the Steelhead and both the Steelhead and the Grim Reaper out penetrated the Muzzy.

Cutting diameter? I measured the second layer. I figure that a deer is a little more solid and could yield a faster opening than cardboard. The Muzzy was lowest with a diameter of a little over and inch. The Steelhead scored just at an inch and a half. And the Grim Reaper topped the scales with a whopping two inch diameter. :eek:

I've shot both the Steelheads and the Muzzys, but now I'm going to be shooting Grim Reapers. Will they do different on deer? Most likely. Which one is guarenteed not to foul up? Muzzy by far. No opening blades, so it's consistant. It seemed like the Steelhead flew a little faster than the other two and the Muzzy was the slowest. Seems to me like the Steelhead and Grim Reaper would be a great choice. I'm going to have both in my quiver and see how they perform on deer, hopefully in the same day.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Grim Reaper Vs. Rage

Postby WIgunner30 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:53 pm

sorry it took so long to get back on this. I def tested the Reapers durability and penetration last season. I stuck a buck right throught the shoulder at 32 yards. I didnt get a pass through but the broadheads shattered both of the bucks shoulders and took out the top of the heard and both lungs. had a very good bloodtrail before finding the back less than a hundred yards. the buck field dressed over 200lbs. I was using the 1 3/4 grim reapers and just shreaded the vitals.
WIgunner30
hunter

Re: Grim Reaper Vs. Rage

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon May 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Last year I decided to try out grim reapers, and thus far I've only shot a turkey with one. But everything I've shot with them has died. Hopefully I can get on a deer with them in Sept.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Archery