arrow recommendations

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

arrow recommendations

Postby swampwise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:24 pm

i just bought a used 1997 model martin pantera the other day and i was wondering if those with experience could recommend a good arrow for me. the draw length is 29" and the pull weight is set at 72 lbs.

im not lazy, its just that the bow shop is closed on sunday and tomorrow for labor day, and im eager to shoot some!!
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby ghilliehunter » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:33 pm

Carbon tech whitetails for all around performance cheetah for speed and rhinos for durability. The most consistant arrows on the market are carbontech hands down.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Easton A/C/C's or Full Metal Jackets. Maybe even Carbon Express Maxima's. I shoot ACC's because they are Aluminum wrapped in Carbon. That gives you the penetration and straitness of Aluminum as well as the durability of Carbon. Best of both worlds. Full Metal Jackets are the same, except they are carbon wrapped in Aluminum. Both of the Easton's are really slim as well and the FMJ's have the HIT inserts. Both will set you back about 8 bucks a shaft unfletched. Another bow tech that works with me bought some of the Carbon Express Maxima's and shot them into cinder blocks and they came out okay. I'd recommend either of these three for you. If you want a cheaper carbon arrow, the house brand of arrows are actually a decent arrow at about 30 bucks per half dozen.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby swampwise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:47 pm

dang! apparently the maximas are a good arrow if they can sustain a shot through a concrete block. ill check on those, but im not so sure i want to drop 8 or 10 bucks apiece on arrows...

ps- anybody know if academy does arrows? theres one close by and theyre open tomorrow...
assateague wrote:

swampwise
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 pm

swampwise wrote:dang! apparently the maximas are a good arrow if they can sustain a shot through a concrete block. ill check on those, but im not so sure i want to drop 8 or 10 bucks apiece on arrows...

ps- anybody know if academy does arrows? theres one close by and theyre open tomorrow...

I can understand that. I used to shoot Easton Epic's in my old bow, and really liked them. They are the slim shafts too and they are only 39 for a half dozen. No matter what you get be sure to get blazer vanes on them.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Remman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Swampwise I shoot goldtip hunters, I have never had any problems with them. I use duravanes also, the blazers are very durable too. You really can go wrong with any of the arrows listed above, you just need to know what size, and weight{grans per inch} you need for your bow. hope this helps!
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:35 pm

I like maximas and PSE pro's. Use blazers. Arrows are almost as important as the bow. go ahead and spend the money. even if you have to buy practice arrows that are about the same weight. you will appreciate a good arrow for competition and hunting.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby swampwise » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Remman wrote:Swampwise I shoot goldtip hunters, I have never had any problems with them. I use duravanes also, the blazers are very durable too. You really can go wrong with any of the arrows listed above, you just need to know what size, and weight{grans per inch} you need for your bow. hope this helps!

i tried the goldtip hunters first and let me tell you, i will NEVER buy them again. the knocks on the first 2 arrows broke inside the end of the shaft. i managed to get a couple in the target, but i noticed the back of the arrow was gyrating when i flew. when i witnessed two of the other arrows bounce off my rest because of the knocks popping off again, i packed em up and took em back. bad experience i guess. ive heard a lot of good things about gold tips, but i know ill never buy them again.
assateague wrote:

swampwise
hunter

Postby Remman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 pm

sounds like the nock screw was loose, or you had a bad batch of shafts/nocks. I have never had that type of problem before.
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:13 pm

I shoot gold tips and love em. Thats to bad they did you wrong but thats usually all it will take to turn a guy off to something. (Benelli Super Nova for me)

If not Gold tips than ACC. My buddy shoots them and they work well for him. Everyone else I know shoots Goldtips.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Return to Archery