Restring?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Restring?

Postby labcrazy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:56 pm

I moved to a new state around 6 years ago from Wisconsin where I would bow hunt yearly. I am ashamed to say I had not even taken my bow out of its case until a week ago. What are the odds the string is still good? I am almost afraid to shoot is as I would hate to have it blow up in my face. The string has what looks like a tiny amount of fuzz around the sights. What are your thoughts?
"With a flock that big, your bound to hit one of em"
labcrazy
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:08 am

If there is just little fuzzies around leave it alone. Just give it a good waxing and you'll be fine. If some strands of the string are broken then you could replace it. I wouldn't replace a string until it breaks, just my preferance. I would at least wait until the end of the season if you have your heart set on replaceing it. You don't want a string getting broken in during the season. Give us some pictures to work with here. It sounds fine, but pics would help. Based on what you've said, I'd leave it. Just keep it waxed, that's the #1 thing when it comes to bow care.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 am

Take it to your local shop and let them have a look at it. But sitting in a case for a few months doesn't make the sting go bad. And little fuzzies are the norm, just don't go crazy with the wax as it will slow your fps.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby labcrazy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Maybe I'll just shoot it and see what happens. I've never broken a string before so I'm just scared that it will pop me in the face. No pics...sorry. It has sat for 6 years (not months) so I was just a bit concerned. Thanks for the responses.
"With a flock that big, your bound to hit one of em"
labcrazy
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:51 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:. I wouldn't replace a string until it breaks, just my preferance. .

:eek: Are you crazy, I would deffinately prefer to replace one before it breaks. Save you a lot of trouble and maybe an eye. :rofl:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Factory Strings are on a bow just to hold it together until you can get decent strings on it. After that, I will replace my string every year. With the amount I will shoot in a year, it is peace of mind.

And i really don't think you are going to run into any trouble with a few fuzzies on the string. Like said above, just wax it and see what it does.

Waiting for a string to break is not the best way to decide when ya need a new one. It would be alright if it would break sitting in the case. But it won't. It will break at partial or full draw. Which is NOT good by any means.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:Factory Strings are on a bow just to hold it together until you can get decent strings on it.

I've heard this exact quote from about 3 different people. I dont know where everyone hears it?

If the string looks bad after waxing it replace it, but DO NOT WAIT UNTIL IT BREAKS! thats a horrible mistake. It will happen the night before the big hunt.

2 words "Winner's Choice"
Last edited by Greenhead Grappler on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:30 am

3 Words

Rock Solid Strings. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:30 pm

As I said that's my preferance. A string breaking isn't too bad, or at least it hasn't been for me. If it breaks while I practice that's fine, but if it were in bad shape I'd get it done before the season to prevent a mishap in the stand.

When you do get a new string, I'll recommend Winner's Choice as well. Some places say their strings are no twist, but they aren't. Just ask before you buy. I know for a fact that Taylor Maid Tux strings are not no-stretch and no-twist like they advertise.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:18 pm

A guy at work did the same thing. Hadnt shot his bow in a long time and broke it out to tune up for season. The string broke snapped him in the forearm and ripped it open. Not bad (no stiches) but it bled alot.

If you do get a new factory string most of them stretch so you will have to deal with the pains of it stretching and retuning until it settles. I would recommend you throw a winners choice on but maybe fowlwishes knows something i dont about his brand. See what the bow shop has and get a good one. Its pays off not worrying about your eyes getting snapped out your head.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby Swanyriver » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:01 pm

2-3 years and or 2500 shots
Just get a new one it is better that way.
Swanyriver
hunter

Postby Remman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:31 am

Winners choice , thats the way to go! Your string should be ok , just take it to a proshop let them look at it.
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery