thinking about starting

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

thinking about starting

Postby littlegray_2000 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I am thinking about archery hunting next season. Any tips or suggestions that you found helpful when starting. I already have a stand I just need help with the other equipment.
Bring on the cold and the rain... I'll take it if the ducks are flying!
littlegray_2000
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:04 pm

The best advice i can tell you is to talk to ANY local bow hunters. Find out where they shop and what shops they trust. IT would be a lot faster to go to a reputable archery shop to learn what you need to know. You will get so many opinions here they will just run together.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Remman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:23 pm

ditto to what Fowl wishes said! Go to a local proshop try out all the different brands, see what fits you !
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:10 am

I'm with everybody else. Goto different shops and shoot different brands. Shoot single and double cam bows. See what you like best. Above all, when you get the bow practice, practice, practice. It's less than two weeks before our season here and I have people coming in with broken strings and first timers wanting a bow setup. They don't have time to get ready for the season now if they're starting or haven't shot for awhile. Shoot a little bit every week and work with judging ranges without a rangefinder. Sometimes you don't have time to range a deer and it's nice to know you know the distance. Setup your target somewhere walk away and guess the distance. Then hit it with your range finder to see how close you were, then shoot it. Shop around for your bow and the sort. You can usually find better prices at different places. Go into a place to shoot a bow, if you find a better price somewhere else tell the place you shot at about it. They might price match, if not don't hesitate to buy cheaper. Other than that, it's all about practice.

Practice how you plan to shoot. Shoot some on the ground, and if your going to be in a treestand shoot off your back porch, or buy a cheap ladder stand. If your going to shoot from a blind, practice in it. Practice on your knees, standing, and shooting around treelimbs in your way. The big thing is keeping your anchor point the same. If you don't do that, nothing will work for you.

I really respect the fact you're going to wait until next season to start up. That shows A LOT of responsibility and respect for your game. :thumbsup: Once you start bowhunting, you won't stop. There's nothing like shooting at a deer 20 yards from your stand. Good luck :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby littlegray_2000 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks guys

I am tring to learn as much as I can before next season.
Bring on the cold and the rain... I'll take it if the ducks are flying!
littlegray_2000
hunter

Postby choclab » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Practice alot too.....don't be the guy who shoots his bow 3 or 4 times a year, then goes and tries to shoot 50 yards at an animal
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

I just started this year, and I agree with practice a lot, but do it over time.

Honestly, if you are not used to pulling back 60-70 lbs, after about 10+ shots you're going to start pulling or doing something crazy with your bow that will blow your confidence. This happened to me, I was shoot a ton every day, and not taking long enough breaks, so I kept pulling.

I finally had to travel for work, so when I came back rested I was dead on.

I would suggest shoot 3 or 4 shots, take a break for a couple of hours, then shoot a few more times. Honestly, if you're hunting its going to be the first shot of the morning, so thats the main one that counts.

Also, if you haven't already had your bow tuned, I would look into paper tuning your bow. My bow was all over the place, then I paper tuned it and have been ruining arrows ever since.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:02 pm

I agree with GroundSwatter. I have my bow hanging just inside the garage door. Every day when i get home I shoot it 5 times. I do this year round so I am shooting in all kinds of weather. The first shot is the one I concentrate on. The rest are for form consistency. I live in the high desert and we have all kinds of extreme conditions. I also shot out to 80 yards. I do this because I like to chase rabbits in the off season.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Return to Archery