Arrow placement on a turkey

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Arrow placement on a turkey

Postby flight canceled » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 pm

where is the best place to shoot a turkey with a bow. Ill be hunting the fall season out of a tree stand while deer hunting. so if one comes by, ill shoot it. i dont have those guitine broadheads or what ever they are called, ill be using shuttle T's (my deer hunting broad heads.) :help:
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 am

If your gonna be in a tree just shoot em right in the middle of the back. No more moving. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:10 pm

Wait till they turn around backwards and put it right in their poop shute.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Anywhere but straight on, they got armour :mad:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SouthARKduckslayers » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:42 pm

If they were broadside I'd takem out right behind the wing but ...... I dont know.
Nov. 22nd the river runs red .....

Mallards- 27

Grey's-74

Woodies-5

Teal-15

shovler-7

jacks-3

wedgion-37

pintail-3

Merganser-1

172 after 9 hunts
SouthARKduckslayers
hunter

Postby YoungGun1991 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:04 am

Do like this..........
Respect the GAD!
YoungGun1991
hunter

Postby David » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:16 pm

ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:21 pm

Gosh that movie never gets old. I think you posted the short version though. Oh well, seeing heads fly off turkies is always a good thing.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Bird shot

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:52 am

I shot one right in the center of the chest with a muzzy from a tree stand at twenty yards. He never moved!
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:05 pm

I talked with a buddy of mine the other night. He shot a turkey in the head with a broad head at 60 YDS. Mostly luck, took a pot shot, used the wrong post on his sight, the arrow bounced flat on the ground, popped back up and hit the turkey in the head.

Sometimes luck is better than skill.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

hmmm?

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Kind of off the Turkey track, but talking about lucky shots.

I have a buddy that took a shot at a huge buck feeding in a field about 80 yards out. He missed the deer (so he thought), so he just stayed in his stand watching from a distance hoping he would come in closer. He wasn't going to waste another arrow.

All the while he was watching the buck feeding, the buck would kick his rear leg out once in a while. A little while went by and my buddy watched in amazement as the buck raised his head, stumbled to the side, fell over and died. As it turned out he knicked that artery in the back leg and the buck bled out.

Your turkey head shot reminded me of this.
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:20 pm

My Friend did something like this once before.

In texas it is legal to shoot turkey's with a rifle, not the point, just want to make sure everyone knows its legal before questions arise.

He had about a 200 YD shot on a bird with his .270. He shot, the turkey fell. He walked up to the tom, and started looking for a hole and couldn't find one. He then noticed the bullet cut out a nice little U shaped split on top of the turkey's head. Again a shot that's a little off that turned brilliant.

Last year when I hit the woods with him, I took my shotgun, he took his 30-30. I shot my bird first thing, then an hour later we heard them gobbling again. We set up 20 yds from where I killed my bird, we call him in, once my buddy shoots, the bird picks up, flies about 20 yards, then crashes. We walk up to the bird, and after being hit by the 30-30, pretty much right above the legs, the sucker flew spreading out about 20 yds of blood and guts. It was crazy.

Great story about the deer though. I somehow don't manage to get that lucky. I usually just miss. Sounds like we all need to get together so they can talk about their awesome shots and we can show them how unlucky we are.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Another On

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:27 pm

I have one more to share. This one goes back a ways. :wink:

The first deer I ever killed waaaaaaay back when I was just 17 I fainted. Yup, never touched him. :oops:

I was walking along with my single shot shot gun with a rifled slug in it. That's what we use in the finger lakes region of NY. Anyways, I came up on this five point buck that was laying down in this little indent in the ground hiding from this other hunter that had been standing there all morning long. I passed by this other hunter and got about thirty yards away and up this bucks comes about six feet away. That's right, six feet. Scared the hell out of me!! :eek: I swung around and let er rip! :gatgun: The buck did a sideways jump about ten yards and went down, layed there just staring up at me. Now I'm furiously trying to find one of those other slugs I brought with me but couldn't figure out which pocket they were in, probably due to the excitement. :oops:

Meanwhile the other hunter was standing there and I was shouting in an extremely excited voice,,,, "shoot him,, shoot him". The other hunter said, "No son, this is your deer, you can finish him. I finally found that damned slug, loaded my trusty single shot and finished the deer off. :hammer: When we got him back to the house we skinned him out and there was only one bulllet hole in him, and that was from the second shot. The blast of the gun was so close fainted him.

TRUE STORY! :thumbsup:
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Great story. Sorry to hijack the thread :hijacked:

I just love hearing stories like that.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Corerection

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:17 pm

Just to clarify, I am not the one that fainted, it was the buck. Had to clear that up.

Someday I'll tell ya about the time I called in a Tom right across the feet of my buddy while he was leaning up against a tree in a sitting sort of a position with his pants down around his ankles taking a crap and his gun was ten yards away. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How that bird never saw that lilly white butt is beyond me, ha ha ha ha ha.

Ooops, looks like I just told ya. LOL

All kinds of crazy stuff happenes in the woods.

L8R
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby Redneck21 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:42 am

One thing too that helps is to lower the draw weight of your bow if you plan to do a body shot on a turkey. Ya don't want a complete pass thru on a turkey. Best thing to do is shoot right into the wing to pin it against it's body so it can't fly away with your arrow :biggrin:
Redneck21
Newb

Return to Archery