New to Bowhunting

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

New to Bowhunting

Postby usmc2220 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:52 am

Alright I know most of you guys recommended people goto a store and try a few out and get the feel for what you like base on your budget. I went to Gander Mountain and tried the Parker Wildfire XP and really liked it. I'm left handed so it narrowed down a lot from that. The Diamond Rock seemed nice but a lil more expensive. Bottom line I'm gonna get the Wildfire XP. I was wondering if anyone knew a place that would be a better deal, or possibly offer a discount? I'm active duty in the military, back home they offer discounts but won't crap. Anybody know of a place thats reputable, and will give me a deal if I buy everything through them?

Thanks,

Aaron
usmc2220
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 pm

I work in archery at Gander here in Knoxville and Gander will price match. Out of Bass Pro and Cabela's, Gander is usually more expensive so look around a little before you buy. Parker makes a good bow just like just about any company out there. Try shooting the Fred Bear Lights Out if that Gander has one, they are a really good bow and are 329 bare.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 pm

:banger: PARKER! got one and i love it. My only replacement will be a mattews.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:57 am

I will second the Bear lineup of bows. I have had the truth for a couple of years and love it.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:51 am

I just started and bought a used PSE bow off a buddy of mine. It was already rigged up, had a new string, and the draw length fits me well. Paid $250, and although I didn't realize it at the time, it has a really nice trophy ridge sight on it, normally $100 new.

Honestly, its probably easier to go to a store like gander and try out a few, but I just hate dropping $300 on a bare bow if its not something you know you will like. I killed my first deer with it a few weeks ago (a doe) and I think I will be addicted for a while now, but still a pretty expensive pill to swallow.

How is it that a rifle made of steel and wood that can contain a small explosion that propels lead projectiles at thousands of feet per second and can potentially be lethal at 100's of yards costs less than some aluminum and a string that tosses carbon sticks with a maximum effective range of about 40 yds? I don't know, but its fun.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Archery