Got my first bow

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Got my first bow

Postby usmc2220 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:45 am

Went to Gander Mountain last night and got my first bow.

Diamond Rock
TruGlo Extreme Compact Sites W/ Light (3 - Pin)
Treelimb 3 Arrow Quiver
Braided Sling
Limbsaver 4 1/2" S-Coil Stabalizer
G5 Peep Site
Limbsaver Superleaches
And the off brand Limbsavers that came on the bow

They didn't have a kisser there though... and when I got my bow set up didn't notice until I got home I didnt have the paperwork for the site. It's kind of a drive out there, don't know how hard it will be using it, do you think I should worry about it?

Aaron
usmc2220
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 am

We sometimes forget that sorta thingn too at our Gander. If you PM me your name and address I'll send you one of our extras in the mail. Good pick on the bow, Diamond makes a real solid piece of equipment. Personally, I hate kisser buttons. Add weight too much weight to the string for my taste. I just put the calipers of my release in my jaw and touch the tip of my nose to the string. If you want one, I may be able to get one in with your paperwork. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:06 am

Preacher1011 wrote:We sometimes forget that sorta thingn too at our Gander. If you PM me your name and address I'll send you one of our extras in the mail. Good pick on the bow, Diamond makes a real solid piece of equipment. Personally, I hate kisser buttons. Add weight too much weight to the string for my taste. I just put the calipers of my release in my jaw and touch the tip of my nose to the string. If you want one, I may be able to get one in with your paperwork. :thumbsup:

I don't know of many people that use the kisser button either. I just put my nose on the string, between that and knowing where my release goes on my jaw I feel like I already have a couple of points of reference.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby usmc2220 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:34 am

Thanks Guys,

I guess I'll try shooting without a kisser button first. I'm pretty excited. Can't wait to get to the range put some time in so I can get out and do some deer hunting. Preacher I'll send a pm with my info, thanks a bunch.

Aaron
usmc2220
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:03 am

No problem. Just make sure to start out pretty close with your bow, maybe 10 yards since it's your first time with one. Get your pins on target on the horizontal side of things, and when you get comfortable with your groups, set your first pin to 20 yds. I've got 5 pins on mine and they are 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. I probably won't ever take a shot past 40, but 50 and 60 yard practice shots make the rest chip shots. Get comfortable at a shorter range then bump the yardage up till you get comfortable. Hope you didn't buy arrows that are too expensive because you're probably going to be missing some. I lost count of how many I lost when I first started up. :thumbsdown:

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm

You guys are starting to scare me with some of your tips !!!!!

good bow pick cant go wrong with a Diamond by Bowtec!
just be really careful this is a power house if you havent shot befor my suggestion is to contact your local range and see if their is anybody that can help you get started most archers are helpful when need of instruction.you can also go to lancaster archery's web sight and pick up a video on shooting.any other questions try archery talk.com

Good Luck Be Safe skill takes alot of time :thumbsup:
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 pm

ditch the kisser and work on your anchor point. You will be better without it.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:46 am

Last piece of advice. Don't shoot too much in a day or an hour. If you're not used to pulling back 60-70lbs on a bow, you can wear yourself out.

Most olympic and target shooters only pull back 40 lbs.

I would suggest start small, don't shoot any more than a few times in an hour, then take a break, and then go back for more. Once you get a feel for what you're doing, then just shoot 3-4 times in a day.

The biggest mistake I made was shooting too much in an hour. You start to get tired, then you start pulling your shots, then you blow your confidence. If you think you are pulling shots you weren't previously pulling, quite for 4 days or so, then slowly get back into it. I learned this the hard way.

Even during bow season, I'll still shoot my bow every couple of weeks, just to make sure everything is still sighted in.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:46 am

Oregon Honker wrote:You guys are starting to scare me with some of your tips !!!!!

What's wrong with our tips?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 am

I just hate to see a brand new archer get burnt out on a new hobbie without the rite instruction this can be a verry fun and enjoyable sport but verry dangerous one too ive seen it all at our range it gets verry scary at times.for example drawing so much weight that they have to pull the bow above their head to get it back verry scary and verry dangerous for the shooter and other members
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby usmc2220 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks Oregon,

I've gone to the range a few times now and have tight groups out to 20 yards, and my first shots at 30. After a few I get tired and the bow is moving more than when I first started. Went out today to try my luck and see if I could see a deer withing my range. Spooked one on the way out but let me tell ya... those climbing stands I'm not so sure thats for me, makes me really nervous, and spent a lot of time trying to find a good tree, and finally on my 3rd tree got it right to where I felt safe SITTING... don't know how I would have been standing on it (Summit Viper SS). Don't get me wrong comfotable stand, just nervous of falling even though its closed in.

Aaron
usmc2220
hunter

Postby redleg79 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:46 pm

With any tree stand climber or lock on or ladder you need a safety harness. Most stands come with them now. I splurged and bought a Hunter's Safety System and I HIGHLY recommend everybody get one and use it. I feel 100% safer standing in my stand. won't go up a tree without it now.
redleg79
hunter

Postby usmc2220 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:04 pm

just ordered one! Gonna get some D-Rings to extend the back strap while climbing.

Aaron
usmc2220
hunter

Postby redleg79 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 pm

You'll love it and those Summit vipers are a very nice stands, I hunted one last season once. It was comfortable but like any stand you just gotta get used to it. I personly like my Ol' Man climber. It's easy to pack in on Public lands.
redleg79
hunter

Return to Archery