First Turkey with a Bow

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

First Turkey with a Bow

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:01 am

This is my first turkey with a bow.

Typically I don't like shooting hens, but when you're having a slow morning of deer hunting and a group of 30 hens walks up to your tree stand, its hard to pass up. Especially when you have 2 any sex turkey Archery Only tags in your pocket.

Neck Shot

I fried her up last night, and it was tasty tasty.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:27 am

Congrats. I haven't gotten one with a bow or a gun yet. Been hunting them for awhile now with no luck. Hopefully my hunting lease will fix that. Hopefully you'll fill that other tag too. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 am

Also forgot to mention this is my first Eastern Turkey and first Turkey since I moved to Missouri.

Gotta love one shot being able to cover all those firsts.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Callemup » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Congrats. I almost had my first with the bow a few nights ago. Just couldn't get them to come in a little closer.
"Take Em"
Callemup
hunter

Postby justduckingaround » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:12 pm

great job! I have been bow hunting for 15 yrs and have not killed a turkey something always goes wrong
justduckingaround
justduckingaround
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:59 pm

How you like that Trophy Ridge sight? I love mine!
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:46 pm

I love it. This is my first year bow hunting, so not a lot of experience to compare it to others, but its the main reason I bought the bow. I paid $250 for the bow used, and it had a $100 sight on it.

I'm 26 and I wish I would have started bow hunting years ago. Its just too much fun.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Last weekend I had a similar situation, sitting in a tree stand, and saw a big group of Tom's walking around. There were 4 or so big ones out front doing their own thing. Two had beards that were dragging the ground, then there were a bunch tailing around them that were pecking at each other. Probably 25+ birds total.

One nice one came into range, but never had a clean shot open up. Too many twigs in the way.

Man I love hunting, just thinking about those big birds just gets my blood pumping. Archery season stops this Friday, then renews again 11 or so days after that, so went get another shot at the turkey's for a couple of weeks. Oh well, time to chase deer with a rifle for a change.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Archery