From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Anyone bowfish?

Postby Deadduck101 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:49 pm

This lil guy was 40 lbs and 46" Image
08/09 Season
3 Woodies
2 Mallard
I have not been out that much this year!!!! Love my kids and they come first.
Deadduck101
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:42 am

That is awesome. I haven't been since I moved to missouri, but I love to go bow fishing.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:34 pm

:eek: That could eat the fish I shoot.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:24 am

I shot at carp 20 years ago but gave it up after a close call. I used a recurve and one of the spools for the front. The line tangled about 7 yards out and stretched and set the arrow right back at me at hip level and I dodged it like I was dancing. :oops:

I never shot at another fish after that!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ClintV » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:14 am

2 words cupped........"safety slides".
I won't shoot without them. I've had a couple come back at me over the years, but NEVER since I've been using a slide.

Nice fish Deadduck.:thumbsup:
ClintV
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Very nice carp :thumbsup:

Preacher1011 wrote::eek: That could eat the fish I shoot.
I shot a 50 lb grass carp a couple of years ago. That was a hog.

I enjoy chasing the silver carp in the Illinois River. You end up getting hit by more of them than you actually hit, but it is a blast. It is a tad dangerous. A guy on my boat got a black eye last season when he stopped one with his face. I literally caught one in my arms after it hit me in the chest.

This is what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwfpNMvIk7Q
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:32 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Very nice carp :thumbsup:

Preacher1011 wrote::eek: That could eat the fish I shoot.
I shot a 50 lb grass carp a couple of years ago. That was a hog.

I enjoy chasing the silver carp in the Illinois River. You end up getting hit by more of them than you actually hit, but it is a blast. It is a tad dangerous. A guy on my boat got a black eye last season when he stopped one with his face. I literally caught one in my arms after it hit me in the chest.

This is what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwfpNMvIk7Q

What time of year, I assume spring, and how much is a license, that looks like too much fun.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:03 pm

It is absolutely insane. I love it.

Summer is the best time for them. All you need is a fishing license, which I think is only $25 for the year for nonresidents.

If you get up in my area, I'd be more than happy to take you out. This is something you can easily do on your own. They are easy to find with a little direction.

Our big bowfishing tournament is July 18th & 19th in Henry, IL. Last year the river was a little high and muddy, so it was a little bit of a slow year. The 30 boats only took about 1,100 fish :eek:

Normally the top boat takes over 500 and there are about 4 or 5 boats capable of those kind of numbers. I'm not one of them at the yet.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:42 pm

I was spoiled in Texas. I would go to some power plant lakes and plug tilapia. Yes the same farm raised tilapia you get at many grocery stores and they are the tastiest non-game fish around. If I couldn't get into tilapia of course there were gar and carp.

I think they have silver carp in Mizzou, I just need to find them, but I have some friends that live in Naperville, IL so if I'm up that way we might have to go out and plug some fish.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 am

The silver carp should be in any tributary of the Mississippi River. They will eventually make it to the first impassible dam in every tributary of the Misssissippi. They are definitely in parts of your state. The Illinois River seems to have the highest population density of silver carp, but I'm sure you can find large numbers of them in Missouri. What you want is a river that is not too deep, but deep enough you can run your big motor. Try higher and lower speeds. The higher rpms seem to be what gets them going. Night is the best time, bright sun is the worst, but you can find them at anytime. If you can find a decent stretch of water that is 3 - 10 feet deep without deep water for them to retreat, you will find them. If you can trap them against the shore or in a side channel, they will go ballistic.

Here is there distribution for the silver carp.
http://fisc.er.usgs.gov/Carp_ID/html/hypophthalmichthys_molitrix.html

The bighead carp don't jump and they are harder to shoot in most places, but they get huge. They shot a 90 lber in the Illinios part of the Mississippi River this past summer. They are more common than the silvers in most places.
http://fisc.er.usgs.gov/Carp_ID/html/hypophthalmichthys_nobilis.html

I really like to eat gar. They are good eatin' but tough cleanin'. I wish we had tilapia here.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 am

In texas you got more buff's and grass carp along with needle nose and alligator gar.

Tilapia are just in the power plant lakes and are great at the dinner table. Hard to get on them, but once you do its great.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am

We have quite a variety of fish to shoot around here. Our bowfishing club has a year long tournament where you earn points for different species taken and size of fish. We typically take 16 different species of fish including 3 species of Gar (Longnose, Shortnose, and spotted), 4 species of Carp (Common, Grass, Silver, and Bighead), 6 species of suckers (Bigmouth Buffalo, Smallmouth Buffalo, Black Buffalo, Quillback Suckers, White Suckers, and Redhorse Suckers), Wild Goldfish, Bowfin, and Shad. In Illinois we are not allowed to shoot catfish, drum, or Shad (although we can in Indiana). Although we don't get a lot of the giant Buffalo like I've seen pictures of from down south.

I'd love to go shoot a giant Alligator gar, which we don't have in Illinois.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:12 am

I've never shot a giant gator gar, but they were definitely in the areas close to where I used to live. My brother has shot some nice gar, but nothing like some of the pic's you see.

The people around here are all about sucker fish, and I got the chance to eat some lately. A little cottony, but overall don't taste bad. I'll have to see what I can do to the sucker fish population with my bow.

I'm used to shooting in muddy lakes and rivers. Everything is so clear around here I feel like its cheating.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:39 am

GroundSwatter wrote:I'm used to shooting in muddy lakes and rivers. Everything is so clear around here I feel like its cheating.
Yeah, but it is really hard to hit those fish when they are more than a foot or two deep. I occassionally shoot at a crystal clear strip mine and it is damn near impossible to hit those carp when they are 3 - 4 foot deep. It's much easier to judge where to aim when they have a fin sticking out of the water :thumbsup:

Most of the rivers I fish are muddy and a couple feet of clarity is often pretty good.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:58 pm

All the fish I shot are in the 3-4 feet deep water. It's not that hard to shot them that deep. Aim about a foot below the fish and let go. It takes practice but you'll get it. And I've shot a ton of Buffalo in the high teens to mid 20's.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Maybe that's why I find it so hard to hit the fish when they are deep in the clear water. I'm shooting at 5 lb carp and not 15+ lb buffalo :wink:

I definitely don't shoot at a lot of deep fish. I shoot at more fish that are 3 feet above the surface than 3 feet below it :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:27 pm

I also shot a ton of the 1 or 2lbers as well. If it's a carp it's fair game in my book. I just have a spot where the big guys like to hang out, so that helps.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Re: Anyone bowfish?

Postby Quack Shack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Here is a picure of one of our trips last summer. Got into bowfishing about ten years ago when I moved to Texas. One nice thing about Talapia, at the end of the day, you have some pretty good table fare.
TEAM SPOONIE
Quack Shack
hunter

Postby flightstopper » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 pm

This is my P.B. I shot two weeks ago down here in Texas. Dont have a length but it bottomed out my 50lb scale with ease. Would have beat the current record of 46.xx if I would have got a certified weight of it. I'm kicking myself for not doing it now, it would have been cool to see my name next to something like that.

Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:59 am

Awesome fish :thumbsup:

My best common carp is a whopping 15 lbs. That one's tail weights more than that :lol3:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Re:

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I shot at carp 20 years ago but gave it up after a close call. I used a recurve and one of the spools for the front. The line tangled about 7 yards out and stretched and set the arrow right back at me at hip level and I dodged it like I was dancing. :oops:

I never shot at another fish after that!

Get an AMS reel and like clint said, safety slides. Never had one comeback at me.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quack Shack » Fri May 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Finally got out to chase some fish last week. Here are the results. The gar were shot by some guy's the were with a guide on a river not far from where we were camped. We were after the Talipia. Totalfor the week (Five Guy's 475 fish).

TEAM SPOONIE
Quack Shack
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 pm

475 talipia = 950 tasty fillets. Looks like you had an awesome time and now have some good eating.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby MtMan » Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 am

Got about 20 here, ended up with 32 in two hours. All buffalo and a small catfish and was able to give them all away.
Attachments
buffalo.jpg
MtMan
hunter

Postby fireman17 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Not to bad for the first trip out of the year. Alot of fun!! :grooving:
Attachments
tyler and jessica.jpg
tyler and jessica.jpg (53.95 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Don't worry I brought extra shells!!
fireman17