Fall Away Rests

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Fall Away Rests

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 pm

So right now I'm using a simple shoot through rest. As far as quiet, simple, and accurate, it is all three of those, however the one thing I don't like is that occasionally, while practicing, my arrow will come off the rest. Another thing I don't like about it is that I often sit in my tree stand with my bow across my lap, not upright, and I don't like to have to mess with putting the arrow back on the rest and I have to be mindful of it when I draw back as well, especially during crunch time.

I was looking at fall away rests, specifically rests that have containment that keep your arrow from coming out of the rest. More specifically I've been looking at the Ripcord arrow rest, the QAD Ultra rest, and Trohpy Taker also has a relatively enclosed rest.

I have looked at whisper biscuits, but there are some cons here that I don't like.

Any thoughts or feedback would be great.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GreenIslandducker88 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:16 pm

I would get an NAP sizzor rest. A ton of clearance for your arrow and it holds your arrow in place well.
GreenIslandducker88
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:33 pm

I hate drop aways. They're great for target shooting, but if you're in the woods and nick that string with your broadhead you're SOL my friend. I'd recommend you a Hostage Pro. Got one for my bow and love it. The bristles go around the vanes so you have no vane damage. Also, you don't loose any speed from vane friction.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Redneck21 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:59 am

I shoot the QAD Ultra Rest and it has been awesome. No problems or difficulties with it at all.
Redneck21
Newb

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:11 am

I was leaning towards the qad or trophy taker. Either way bow season here is over in a week or two, so no better time to take the bow into the shop, get it tuned and ready to go for next season.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

drop away

Postby mjlduckman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 pm

I just changed from the whisker biscut, to the QAD hunter, because it tore up my fletchings to much. I've read that i would get better accuracy with the QAD and no friction. I've only shot it a few times and it shoot pretty good so far.
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:50 pm

If you are absolutely sure you want a drop away I would recommend the QAD. They are an absolute snap to tune. Just put it on and at full draw line up the line on the thumb switch to the one next to it and you'll shoot a perfect hole, I've put a few on and if you've never put one on this will be the easiest.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:11 am

Preacher1011 wrote:If you are absolutely sure you want a drop away I would recommend the QAD. They are an absolute snap to tune. Just put it on and at full draw line up the line on the thumb switch to the one next to it and you'll shoot a perfect hole, I've put a few on and if you've never put one on this will be the easiest.

Good to know.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the QAD Pro Series and their hunter line, Aside from about $60?
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:10 pm

I have 2 QAD's one is sitting in my desk busted, and the other one is on my fishing bow. It actually works pretty well as a fishing arrow rest. I had nothing but problems with the QAD as far as getting my arrows to fly perfect every time. Always clearance issues, especially with Blazers. If you turn the cock feather down, it hits the rest, even with the taller laucher! If you put the cock feather up, it hits the top bar. I tried turning the arrow every possible way! I would shoot and everything would seem perfect, then I would shoot an arrow and watch it cork screw down range! I still hit the bullseye, but you can see the arrow kicking and flying all funky! Not a problem with field points but, there is no way you will ever get consistency with a broad head. So, to continue the QAD saga! I called the customer service, I made sure I was 1/4" nock high taller launcher everything, it got a little better, but still had issues. Then I bought a new bow! I figured alright, maybe I didn't know what I was doing when I set up the QAD on my old bow and the professional at the archery shop, can put it on my new bow and everything will be perfect! So, I have him put the rest on my new bow. First shot, the arrow almost hit the target sideways! By the third shot, the rest was destroyed! In my desk it sits! I could send it back and have it replaced for free, but I have Zero confidence in this rest, except as a fishing rest, it hasn't failed me there, but of course tuning really isn't an issue. My .02 and I know there are tons of people who are gonna say they have the rest and it shoots perfect every time!
Only one way to get there, it's in the middle of no where, you gotta get a little mud on the tires.

Correction! Used to have to get a litlle mud on the tires!

WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 pm

If you have clearance problems rip that top bar off. I don't think it's necessary anyway. The rest stays up and your arrow won't fall off unless you shoot with your bow upside down. I haven't had clearance issues even with the blazers, but different bows produce different results.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ghilliehunter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I hate drop aways. They're great for target shooting, but if you're in the woods and nick that string with your broadhead you're SOL my friend. I'd recommend you a Hostage Pro. Got one for my bow and love it. The bristles go around the vanes so you have no vane damage. Also, you don't loose any speed from vane friction.

Not trying to pick a fight but most tournement archers use a spring steel rest. Which are fixed position rests that have a spring steel blade.

Also i have never heard of anybody who has cut thier cord with a broadhead. The cord goes from the rest to the cable (or in the limb drivers case to the top limb) that a pretty small whole to stick a broadhead in. My point is is that if you stick a broadhead through that hole your going to have worst problems, Like cut cables.

On the rest: I would go with the QAD. it has a lock down and lock up and is truly full containment.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Too late, the fight's on. :rofl: Just kidding.

I'm speaking from my experience. At Gander we have a league and most of the fellas there are shooting drop aways. Although there are a few that use that spring one.

I know it would be a small hole to stick a broadhead through, but with my luck if it can happen and it's bad it will. I try to keep it simple as I can, so I leer away from drop aways. That's my preference though.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:21 am

I was at Cabelas last weekend and took a look at the QAD in person and it looks kinda cheap for what your paying. The rest is mostly plastic from what I could tell.

I'm still thinking about it. I went out and shot my bow for the first time in a month or two yesterday. Even with my simple shoot through rest I managed to hit the bulls eye at 20 yds. If its not broke, then maybe I shouldn't fix it.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 am

GroundSwatter wrote:I was at Cabelas last weekend and took a look at the QAD in person and it looks kinda cheap for what your paying. The rest is mostly plastic from what I could tell.

I'm still thinking about it. I went out and shot my bow for the first time in a month or two yesterday. Even with my simple shoot through rest I managed to hit the bulls eye at 20 yds. If its not broke, then maybe I shouldn't fix it.

Ask the people at Cabelas to let you shoot one. They should have bows with them already on there.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:16 am

the hostage pro looks like a neat concept. How loud is it when you shoot it? The main issue I see with it is at least with my shoot through rest, if I have good form and let the bow fall forward after I release the string, the flight of the arrow should not be affect by anything after I release it, the Octane looks like it would affect your arrow until it left your bow.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 pm

I shoot the same way and don't have a problem with it. I think I shoot better with the Hostage Pro than a drop away. Why? I don't know. Maybe because the Pro is on my bow and I shoot the drop away on one at work. Or maybe it's because in my sub conscience I think the drop away is a magic rest that is so forgiving I can shoot whenever I want and don't wait till everythings settled. Either way, I like my Hostage Pro. Go to Cabelas and shoot both of them and see which you like better.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby magnum » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:18 pm

There are many good drop away rests on the market. Sounds like you are looking for a simple, strong, and reliable rest. One that is easy to install yet gives you the best clearence and accuracy shot for shot. I've been in archery for 23yrs and in the archery business for 19yrs. I am a bow hunter first and I shoot some 3d. Alpine makes the best rest for your dollar hands down. It doesn't capture your arrow though. The best dropaway that captures your arrow is the NAP SCISSOR. It is light and compact yet simple. You get ultimate arrow clearance from both rests. As a hunter I look for light and compact without too many bells and whistles and its paid off I've bagged 21 elk and 23 deer with a bow and never had a failure with a rest. :smile:
magnum
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 am

well I got to tune in for the whisker bisicut been shooting the same one for around 10 years replaced the brissles once. I shoot about 200-300 times a year never a problem. I PROMISE you will not drop an arrow.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 am

How do your vanes hold up?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:18 am

buffleheadnc2 wrote:well I got to tune in for the whisker bisicut been shooting the same one for around 10 years replaced the brissles once. I shoot about 200-300 times a year never a problem. I PROMISE you will not drop an arrow.

I'm glad you have had good luck with them, but two reasons I don't want to use a whisker biscuit are, 1. it will eventually mess up your arrow veins, and 2. I don't know if I like having a rest that makes total contact with my arrow for that long.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Re: Fall Away Rests

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:28 pm

4 in vanes dont hold up well but blazers do great with no sign of wear.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby flightstopper » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 am

:ditto: for the QAD or Rip Cord, I shoot the rip cord and have not had a problem. QAD is the same basic design, the more expensive one is a lot easier to tune in and make adjustments elavation and windage is two seperate screws. The cheaper one has the same design but it only has one screw holding the barrel in place to tune it in, so once you get it there it's fine but it can be a hassel. nno!: for the sizzor rest we got some in one time and had hell getting anything out of them we had a different problem every time
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am

buffleheadnc2 wrote:4 in vanes dont hold up well but blazers do great with no sign of wear.

I second the bisquit, can't mess with simple. I don't hunt with my bow but target shoot with my son, we both have bisquits, shoot somewhere around 1000 arrows a year and I can't say we have any problems tearing up fletchings with the biscuit. we both use blazer vanes. they get torn up from other arrow hits once in a while but I have not yet had to re fletch any arrows, we usually break them or lose them, before the fletchings come apart. I can't imagine being to much more acurate with another rest than we are right now.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:12 am

If we are going to start talking simple give the Hostage Pro a try. You'll give up the WB and never look back. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery