What kind of bow do u think?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

What kind of bow do u think?

Postby hightide hunter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Im new to bows. Ive shot a little bit years ago but not any time recently. I would like to purchase a bow for the upcoming deer season but also would just like to get one so i can have something to do on the weekend. It gets pretty boring during the day on the weekend and I found a nice archery range near here. I havent had time to go to a proshop but ive checked a little online and I think Ive narrowed it down to either a diamond or pse. Im looking to spend between 450 and 600. What kind of bow do you think I should purchase?
hightide hunter
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm new to bow hunting and I bought a Parker Wildfire and I love it. I need lots of homework and the most helpful website was http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm I read and read all the articles and looked at all the bows and It helped me a lot. Diamond and PSE are good bows but there are so many different factors. I have not second guessed my decision.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 am

I shoot a Parker. But I've heard good things about pse and diamond. IMO the diamond is a better buy. I've shot them and I like them. Pse is a fast little bow but I'm not crazy about the feel. But like you will hear 10000000 times. Go shoot them and see what you like. You'd be crazy to buy one before shooting it.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 am

duckschooler,

I'm also in the market for a new bow this season. Great site. Thanks.

Ed
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Ross Bradley » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 am

My advice is go and shoot as many different bows as you can. You will find out which one or two that feels right for you. If money was not an issue Mathews for sure, but that is what I shoot. I really enjoy shooting and hunting with my Dren.
Ross Bradley
hunter

Postby Waterfowlhammer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 am

I shoot a mathews as well, but for your price range maybe look into the martin bow or a pse. They both make great bows and I used a martin for a couple years before moving up in the world to a mathews. Like Ross said though shoot a couple different bows and see what fits for you.
Waterfowlhammer
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 am

I bought a used PSE and have been thrilled with it. I paid $250 for a bow that has a $100 Trophy Ridge site and was just re-strung, thank goodness we had the same length of pull.

I went this route because I bought it from a friend that I trust and I wasn't sure bow hunting was going to be for me, but after that first bow kill this season I was hooked.

If you're not sure its what you want to do, I wouldn't necessarily buy a new one. Not to mention most of the bows I looked at that were around $450 new, you still had to add sights, rests, stabilizers, and quivers. Once you do all that you still have to buy arrows and broadheads. So $450 turns into $700-$800.

If its already rigged out, that's a different story.

Honestly, most modern compound bows are capable of taking down a deer. You just need to go look at several and figure out what you want.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby DuckCraz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 pm

I would really consider in looking into a Mathews, they have a lower end selection of bows within your price range and they are very nice. BEST OF ALL THERE A MATHEWS!!!
DuckCraz
Newb

Postby - Andy - » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 pm

duckschooler wrote:I'm new to bow hunting and I bought a Parker Wildfire and I love it. I need lots of homework and the most helpful website was http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm I read and read all the articles and looked at all the bows and It helped me a lot. Diamond and PSE are good bows but there are so many different factors. I have not second guessed my decision.

A wildfire is an EXCELLENT choice.

Don't get caught up in marketing hype. As a new archer, you need something affordable and easy to shoot.

A wildfire is certainly hard to beat.

Another option (if you have a Mathews dealer nearby) is a Mission X3. Super smooth, super quiet.... bout the same price as the wildfire.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby OkieHunter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm

I would suggest that you go to several proshops and try several different brands, you will know the one you want the first time you pick it up, mainly because it will feel right.
Never Correct Your Dog When Angry, That is Abuse And They will Never Forget It
OkieHunter
hunter

Postby duckslayer82 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:04 pm

I shoot a Hoyt V-Tech. I love it...But a few folks here are right. Go to the pro shop get measured and pull a few back and see what you think. You're the one shooting it.

BOW HUNTING IS THE BEST!!!!
"teach a kid to hunt and fish so they wont steal and deal"
duckslayer82
hunter

Postby 82989 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:13 pm

DuckCraz wrote:I would really consider in looking into a Mathews, they have a lower end selection of bows within your price range and they are very nice. BEST OF ALL THERE A MATHEWS!!!

Why? Because thats all you see on tv?

Every company is putting out quality bows now. Its all a personal prefrence. If everyone liked the same thing then there would only be one bow on the market..........and heaven forbid it being a mathews!
hunter

mission

Postby ghilliehunter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:28 pm

If your looking for a mathews bow but don't want to spend the mathews bucks you have two options

1 look on archery talk for a used bow in good condition

2 look at the mission line of bows
they are made by mathews so you get mathews quality and the mathews warantee without the mathews price.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Mathews

Postby ghilliehunter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

82989 wrote:
DuckCraz wrote:I would really consider in looking into a Mathews, they have a lower end selection of bows within your price range and they are very nice. BEST OF ALL THERE A MATHEWS!!!

Why? Because thats all you see on tv?

Every company is putting out quality bows now. Its all a personal prefrence. If everyone liked the same thing then there would only be one bow on the market..........and heaven forbid it being a mathews!

No just because they shoot quieter smoother and have the best customer service of any bow manufacturer out there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

notice i didn't say speed cause the pse has 6fps more ibo but the x force was rated on average 15 fps over what they actually shot. Were as the reezen I shot was 3 fps faster than it was ibo rated. so we'll see what the monster shoots compared to the omen :biggrin: :biggrin:
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Re: What kind of bow do u think?

Postby headshotz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 am

I just got into bow hunting last year. I bought a Vital Impact made by Bowtech. After it was all said and done i spent around 500 bucks and i was ready to shoot. I dont have a single complaint, i often out shoot my buddies who have spent twice as much on their setup. This is a great bow for the price; there is nothing more you need. Its all about getting comfortable with your bow and being consistent. I will definately stick with Bowtech.
headshotz
hunter

Return to Archery