Questions and more questions.

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Questions and more questions.

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:20 am

OK, here goes and first off I have 2 compound bows and they are both oldies, one is an old Browning Wasp 2wheel no sights, quiver, string separator, and the arrow rest is an old bear brush type. This bow is set at 55# and I can shoot it half decent using 2117 and 2119 arrows with 125 grain field points, the bow has no provision for a string separator and as said shoots fairly well for hunting purposes. My question is would you guys go with 125 gr 3 blade broad heads or would you drop down to 100 gr heads. Would you put sights on this bow or shoot it bare bow as I am doing right now? The other bow is a Pearson Apache 2 and I have no string separator for this bow and was wondering if you folks have any suggestions on one that can be put on it. I have a set of Cobra pin sights on it but no peep, and no arrow rest I need suggestions on a rest for this and a peep sight, are the ones with the string on them better than the ones that don't have the alignment string? I don't want to invest a lot of cash in these bows but would like to take up bow hunting and use them. I am on Workers Compensation so money is rather tight, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by Greg Wile on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 pm

I'd stick with what you got for broadheads. You guys have some pretty big deer and those bows won't be shooting too fast (weight plays more into penetration than speed) so 125's will get you much better penetration when combined with your aluminum arrows. What do you mean by not having a string seperator on it? Are you talking about a peep or just the fact that you don't have something to help you seperate the string to put the peep in? As for the other bow, get a peep with the tubing ($5), and a quick tune rest ($20). That will be the cheapest route and you won't lose much speed at all with that rest. That should get everything up and running for you to chuck some sticks at em. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 am

Oops wrong terminology, Cable guide& separator. Like I said I don't have much experience when it comes to archery but I'm not one for getting caught up in the whole new is better, more of a this will get the job done in an efficient way with out a lot of gadgets and fancy stuff. I was wondering if I could just thread a piece of 3/8 stainless or aluminum round stock and put the separator/slider on that and have it function properly? I say this cause I already contacted Person Archery and they don't have any of the guide bars for that bow.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 am

That should work just fine if you can do the threading and all that. You can also buy just a general one for about 20 bucks I believe.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks Preacher, I'll try to buy one but if I can't find one I have the gear to make one and they sell the slide/separator at the hardware store near here.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:01 pm

No worries. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery