Hunting without a treestand?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Hunting without a treestand?

Postby Bano11 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:09 am

theres no question that most bowhunters use treestands, but is it absolutely necessary? can you have consistent success while hunting for deer with a bow on the ground?
Bano11
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:36 am

Depends on the time of year. Early season I like to use tree stands, but when it gets cold, I have a ground blind.

I have a friend that Still Hunts for deer using his bow. It makes it more difficult, as you are more likely to get busted when you draw, but it can be done. He boasts great success.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 pm

You can hunt them on the ground, but I'd suggest some sort of blind whether it be a store bought one or one made in the field.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 am

I used to do it all the time. Finding dead falls or other natural cover and enhance them. Build natural blind and add fabric inside to make a complete block and just leave shooting openings. IMO hunting on the ground makes you a better hunter and it's more challenging. You just pay attention to the wind and have several blinds in one area to hunt the wind.

Make yourself scent invisible.
Deer will get used to anything. We would work around the farm on Saturday in the summer and I would get a sweaty. When finished I would take my shirt to my ground blind and hang it in the blind all week and pick it up next week when I replaced it with a new stinky shirt and throw the old one in the wash. After several weeks my sweat smell is normal for the deer and they totally ignore me.

Funnel the deer to you
We had old barbed wire fences on one section of the woods. partial section where broken. I left one section broken, maybe one strand on the bottom and took some wire and fixed all the other broken sections. The deer will cross right where the only broken section is.

On a live fence if you have if you have the electric fence the cattle and horses will stay away from it. Owner's permission here is very important, my uncle said it was ok, but I had to fix the stand on my dime after the season each year. On a 5 strand fence just cut the bottom strand in one spot. Horses and cattle stay away from the fence as it hurts and don't push on it. Deer will see the broken strand and crawl under it. If you cannot cut a strand use furing strips on every other post 1' higher than the post and run white string across like another strand and only leave a break where you want the deer to jump the fence.

Do you have Multiflora rose? it grows in huge patches in deforested woods out here. Take a machete and hack a trail through it in July/August and cut it to the ground and 3' wide. If it's thick in certain areas deer will use that trail like a highway and they like to browse on the new tender shoots growing up.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bosh » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:40 pm

I never hunt from a tree-stand.
I like to spot and stalk or still hunt. To me, sneaking up on a nice buck is almost as exciting as taking the shot.

That being said, I live and hunt in California so not the same conditions as back East.
bosh
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Man I've hunted out of a ground blind for three years and have not been successful. I havent even seen one out of the thing.

I hunt treestands in the same area and kill deer. So if you're killing WILD deer out of a ground blind my hats off to ya.

Spot and stalk is not an option down here. It's impossible. Visibility is about 50 yards on average.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Return to Archery