What happened to Archery?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

What happened to Archery?

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 am

I was a kid when compounds became popular. The bear whitetail II was killing deer and doing it well. I shot traditional and had friends that shot both. We went to shoots, shoot at targets, beer cans and anything else. Shot a scare crows at 75 to 100 yards, killed deer and had a blast.

Then bows got faster, competition archers started hiting the ranges. Everything got so serious. We stopped going to ranges after watching archers throw tirades over this sight being out of a line or something else or the other. Also being insulted by new archers that said our equipment was usless. One teenager actually told us our bows did not have enough energy to kill deer. I told him my bow killed deer when he still needed his mommy to whip his butt. Old friends that forgot about the fun and raced to the competition are back now shooting simpler equipment and the thrill of being close enough to almost touch a deer.

I remember when archery was about shooting, hunting and spending time in the camp with friends. Now I see archery as a solitary sport with aggressive players not caring for the others they compete against. Maybe it's just the entire ME generation now a days. I remember when archery was the trill of hunting a deer on it's plane, not 30' in a tree. Hunting the wind like a predator and being able to put a wooden shaft between two ribs from 10 yards.

When did it change from love of the sport and companionship of friends to the quest for more speed and antler lust? I think the mindsets are different now. I think some of this is the same as we see in waterfowl. Band lust as a driving force for hunting, not friends and the experience of decoying birds.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 am

I don't know when did it happen? :huh: I haven't noticed it with the people I hunt with. I don't reckon anyone I know would pass up a sure shot on a doe for a possibility of shooting a big racked buck. Maybe it's a northern thing? :huh: I know it's down here too, I think a big part of it is the hunting shows. "Man I really want to be like Mike Wadell," that's the problem. I on the other hand get just as much of a thrill from drawing on a doe as a buck.

As for the whole speed thing the original Bears kill deer just as well as my new High Country bow. I have guys come into work saying, "I just don't think it's fast enough." I tell them that it's fine. Speed is nice to have, but any bow will kill a deer. Indians whacked them and buffalo with literally a stick and string for hundreds of years.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:08 pm

My general philosophy on deer hunting is that I either want to take a Nice Buck or a doe. Whichever one steps out first, I'll take it. I'll still let the young bucks walk, because when you shoot a young buck thats as big as he'll ever be.

Honestly, every bow kill is a trophy. I shot a nice 8 point this year with my rifle, but I think I am more proud of the Doe and Hen Turkey I killed with my bow. The day in, day out practice of archery, and the discipline involved, even with compound bows, just makes those archery kills that much sweeter.

Granted, this is my first year bow hunting, but its been one of my best deer seasons yet. Every time I draw back on an animal, its just awesome, but then again I love being that close to the animal. Even the buck I killed with my rifle was less than 25 yds away. I think every deer you kill or have an encounter with that comes in that close is exciting.

If your friends are becoming elitists, IDK what to tell you. My brother gets buck fever worse than anyone I know, but he won't even pass on a doe during archery season. Deer camps with friends and relatives are the most treasured thing about hunting in my opinion. I've moved away from many of my friends in the last year. I still hunt, but I miss the comradery most of all.

I think hunting shows kind of contribute to buck fever, but its also just he nature of man. I think Ted Nugent, although he is a little nutty, is the perfect example of what most hunters should celebrate outdoors. I've seen him kill does and whatever else on his show, and he is just as excited about a doe as he is about a nice buck.

BTW, I think the original bears do a fine job. I shoot a compound, but saw a video of a guy that killed 5 elephants with a bear recurve. If it can kill an elephant, then by God it can kill a deer.

As for band lust and waterfowlers, I don't know. I never thought metal tasted that great. I would like to shoot a banded bird, I never have, but I would rather shoot a limit. The experience is what keeps me going back, not the elusive banded birds.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby seabee67 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I shoot both stickbows and compuond. For me shooting traditional and everything connected with it is just more fun and enjoyable. The gear prep and such with compuonds is more technical and somewhat less connected to archery heritage and tradition. I know more traditional shooters than compound shooters that enjoy just shooting to shoot if that makes sense?
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good
seabee67
hunter

Postby zagster11 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 pm

Bow hunting for me beats rifle hunting any day. Practicing every day is hard and sometimes you don't want to do it. But when I'm practicing, i know that it will pay off in the end. The thrill of getting that close to a big animal, determining the distance, pulling back, making sure not to flinch, and then letting it rip, is way more eventful and satisfying then shooting a rifle 200 yards. Shooting a doe is just as exciting as taking a buck. Its all about the thrill and enjoyment of hunting and shooting a bow at something sure does it for me.
It's finally here...
zagster11
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I don't know when did it happen? :huh: I haven't noticed it with the people I hunt with. I don't reckon anyone I know would pass up a sure shot on a doe for a possibility of shooting a big racked buck. Maybe it's a northern thing? :huh: I know it's down here too, I think a big part of it is the hunting shows. "Man I really want to be like Mike Wadell," that's the problem. I on the other hand get just as much of a thrill from drawing on a doe as a buck.

As for the whole speed thing the original Bears kill deer just as well as my new High Country bow. I have guys come into work saying, "I just don't think it's fast enough." I tell them that it's fine. Speed is nice to have, but any bow will kill a deer. Indians whacked them and buffalo with literally a stick and string for hundreds of years.

:thumbsup: Northern thing alright! If you consistently shoot does up here, thats just not manly,
Guys will sit for hours, and even seasons, not kill a buck, but pass up on all does, hell I passed up on some 13 does this season...
We used to hunt next to a guy, who sat all day, everyday,( retired) and just waited for a buck, had to be over 150, that place became a deer sanctuary.. :no: :thumbsdown:
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Re: What happened to Archery?

Postby ClintV » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:39 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I remember when archery was about shooting, hunting and spending time in the camp with friends.

When did it change from love of the sport and companionship of friends to the quest for more speed and antler lust? I think the mindsets are different now.

For some of us it's still about shooting, hunting, and time in camp. :thumbsup:

ClintV
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am

well with the way the deer population is up here and the chances at big trophy bucks, EVERYONE around here is a trophy hunter. me personally, i sit and wait for a buck, but thats only because i shoot one or two does in the first week on archery season. i dont have enough room for any more than that. when i hunt after that, there are still doe all over the place. after the first week of season almost everyday i had a doe in shooting range, if not several. one day i had 6 doe and a 4 pointer all within 25 yards. i couldnt shoot, because i didnt need more meat and the way i see it the more doe the more deer next year. those bucks will find them even if you take one or two of them out. now for me this strategy did not work. i sat all season until rut and never seen many trophies, some but never had shots on them. then one morning i had one of the biggest and most non typical buck i have ever seen in this area and shoulder shot him just to lose him. seen him 3 weeks later with my arrow in him still. he was a 14 pointer with a droptine and some other points and crazy mass. but anyways yes its a northern thing because of how many deer we actually have and for some they have to be better than everyone else... or at least try anyways
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby KDcustomcalls » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:20 am

its just a mind set, hasent changed for me Image
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:well with the way the deer population is up here and the chances at big trophy bucks, EVERYONE around here is a trophy hunter. me personally, i sit and wait for a buck, but thats only because i shoot one or two does in the first week on archery season. i dont have enough room for any more than that. when i hunt after that, there are still doe all over the place. after the first week of season almost everyday i had a doe in shooting range, if not several. one day i had 6 doe and a 4 pointer all within 25 yards. i couldnt shoot, because i didnt need more meat and the way i see it the more doe the more deer next year. those bucks will find them even if you take one or two of them out. now for me this strategy did not work. i sat all season until rut and never seen many trophies, some but never had shots on them. then one morning i had one of the biggest and most non typical buck i have ever seen in this area and shoulder shot him just to lose him. seen him 3 weeks later with my arrow in him still. he was a 14 pointer with a droptine and some other points and crazy mass. but anyways yes its a northern thing because of how many deer we actually have and for some they have to be better than everyone else... or at least try anyways

agreed, like I said before, our deer population up here (for me, Wisconsin) is just so healthy we can sit all day and pass up doe, for bucks, but you really should shoot more doe, the more doe you have doesn't mean bucks will be there, it just means less food and bucks move out..
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:44 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I was a kid when compounds became popular. The bear whitetail II was killing deer and doing it well. I shot traditional and had friends that shot both. We went to shoots, shoot at targets, beer cans and anything else. Shot a scare crows at 75 to 100 yards, killed deer and had a blast.

Then bows got faster, competition archers started hiting the ranges. Everything got so serious. We stopped going to ranges after watching archers throw tirades over this sight being out of a line or something else or the other. Also being insulted by new archers that said our equipment was usless. One teenager actually told us our bows did not have enough energy to kill deer. I told him my bow killed deer when he still needed his mommy to whip his butt. Old friends that forgot about the fun and raced to the competition are back now shooting simpler equipment and the thrill of being close enough to almost touch a deer.

I remember when archery was about shooting, hunting and spending time in the camp with friends. Now I see archery as a solitary sport with aggressive players not caring for the others they compete against. Maybe it's just the entire ME generation now a days. I remember when archery was the trill of hunting a deer on it's plane, not 30' in a tree. Hunting the wind like a predator and being able to put a wooden shaft between two ribs from 10 yards.

When did it change from love of the sport and companionship of friends to the quest for more speed and antler lust? I think the mindsets are different now. I think some of this is the same as we see in waterfowl. Band lust as a driving force for hunting, not friends and the experience of decoying birds.

All hunting unfortunately has been commercialized to death muzzle loaders that don't look or for that matter act ( power and range, scopes attached, etc) any different than a cartridge gun and cartridge guns that are more at home on the front lines than the deer woods, scopes that work everything out for you, cartridges that are big enough and powerful enough to put down an enraged water buffalo and so on and so forth. There are trinkets that do every thing for you but pull the string or trigger and butcher, then transport the game out for you. BUT! it all comes down to personal choice. Don't get caught up in the bigger or faster is better race and don't be a I have to have it be cause Joe Blow on this hunting show, where most of the work of finding the game and everything else was done for the shooter by some one else, uses it and swears by it. He does this because that is how he gets paid. Jmo, Greg.
Last edited by Greg Wile on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 am

Man it's still that way here. We all get together and go hunting or to the range. Bows are faster. Did you expect them to get slower?
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 pm

Its life, everything get better, faster lighter or bigger which ever you need. I think more of it is that people are in such a hurry these days and are looking for ways to run out kill a animal and be back in time for work so they take every short cut they can find. TV plays a big roll too in the kids. They see all these big name guys killing monstor bucks and they want to be just like them. Unless there really taught how to manage and hunt then they don't understand why someone would kill a doe or female. So they grow up with that mind set and here we are with a generation of liberal tards. I think its just changed for certain people. I tend to distance myself from that world and do what I was taught as a kid, use the morals and true judgement that was instilled in me from day one.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re:

Postby REDGUN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:59 pm

GroundSwatter wrote: I shot a nice 8 point this year with my rifle, but I think I am more proud of the Doe and Hen Turkey I killed with my bow.

I did the exact same thing two years ago, but the buck was a 163" 11 pointer.(my largest to date)

I was very happy to get this buck but took more personal pride in the doe and turkey I got with my bow.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Archery has defineately changed over the last 20 yrs. I remember how hard it was and how much I had to practice with my recurve bow to be proficient enough to hunt! Now with a compound you can be hunt ready in about 10 minutes with some good coaching! Nothing wrong with the compounds, shoot what you like. the more people UNITED in the sport the better chance for survival. As for me Im staying with my simple stick bows. Im currently looking at stepping up to a Bamboo backed hickory longbow! :thumbsup:
muddydog
hunter

Postby Norsky » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:28 am

The reason archery has changed is money. People figured out how to make a living and alot of money off hunting. Make a product that will allow someone to shoot better with less practice is the going trend. Not all bad. I could see them shortening the bow season here in Minnesota. People are getting lazier. Get more for less. In my part of Minnesota I can get one deer a year and wouldn't waste it on a doe in the first part of season. What I am trying to say is you cant buy talent.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:30 am

Hey Muddydog,

You need a new hobby. Make your own bows. Here is a website I run that can help you learn how to make all your own for free. http://www.bowyers-den.com/ Nothing like putting a hand made arrow through a deer. Murray Gaskins in GA can probably sell the the boo backing and the sawed out hickory base stave.

I got deer in my yard at night and the neighbor is letting the field grow behind me. Then it will hold deer during the day. Deer hunting is so competitive (costly with leases) I just about gave it up. I'd like to start sticking a few again.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby muddydog » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Sounds good , I'll check your site out.
muddydog
hunter

Postby rogeti » Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 am

Thank you saying this!!!!!!! i dont archery and the reason is i cant afford to COMPETE with everyone around my small town. I live in a small mining town in arizona that has about 1500 people. The mining company just built a nice new archery range, with all of the good stuff: 3D targets, tripod stand to shoot from. the Big BLOCK $500 targets. Its would be fun to do but all it is a competition. You get everyguy and their new Mathews or what ever down there telling every hunting story and how their bow can shoot 600 fps. its so ridiculous. The way everyone affords it around here is that no one pays more than $200 dollars a month on rent so they can afford this worthless crap. This has just started recentley so there is not a spike or 2 point buck safe in the woods. we cant shoot doe or I would. People dont hunt cow elk because its a manly pride thing that you dont kill cow elk. I personally have killed 8 cow elk and only 2 bulls. You guys have no idea how bad it is out here for the deer for us and these BOW HUNTERS will kill anything to prove their just worlds greatest archery hunters. I dont get it and I never will :fingerhead: . i will stick to my rifle with the cheap simmons scope, my knight open sight muzzleloader and my .22. Its all about the rack especially here Arizona.
rogeti
hunter

Postby lukea.becker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 pm

I wonder all the time what happened to archery. i started bowhunting when i was 15, about 9years ago, with a browning compound bow. After a few years hunting out of a stand with the compound i began thinking that hunting that way was too easy and wanted to level the playing field. so then i stopped hunting out of a stand, which made it much more interesting, even though i love the view from in a tree stand, it was very cool being that much closer to the deer. after that i learned how to make wood bows and got hooked. it has now been 3 years since i have hunted with my compound bow and i have only gotten one doe with my homemade tackle but that was the most meaningful deer ive taken. i guess i just saw archery getting so advanced and high-tech that i think new compound bows are pretty much rifles, you even have a trigger! I have nothing against people hunting with compounds or rifles, but i would definitely tell anyone that they should try going back to archery's roots sometime and i really dont think you will be disappointed. i dont see myself ever hunting with my compound bow again. anyone else going back in time rather than forward?
We cannot expect the Americans to jump from capitalism to communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving Americans small doses of socialism until they suddenly awake to find they live under Communism. --Nikita Khrushchev
lukea.becker
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:15 pm

I agree. I've only been shooting archery this year, but have watched my husband progress through the last 7 or so years. I know my bow is a grandpa, but whatever. It does what I want it to do and I'm fine with it. I just can't see spending all that money just to have the newest and greatest. My father-in-law gave him his. It's a dad too big, but I shoot tight groups up to 40 yards and honestly I don't want to shoot anything past that regardless. Honestly I think the more power people get the longer shots they THINK they can take, which ultimately ends up meaning more wounded animals or if they are lucky complete misses. Just my observances.

One more thing....here in AZ I think people got into bow hunting more just to have better odds of getting drawn for big game. Well, now the odds aren't much better than general hunts so go figure, although we do have some over-the-counter tag opportunities which is good.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby mnobles23 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 am

I've shot a recurve for 10+ years now and I love it. Nothing against compound shooters at all, but with todays hi-speed bows you really don't see much skill to shoot effetively. For example, I have a friend who started bowhunting this year. He picked up a new Hoyt and was shooting 6 inch groups at 30 yards with it THE FIRST DAY. I've seen this happen many times with guys who pick up a new bow. They shoot it a couple times and due to the "dummy proof" new bows they think they are ready to hit the woods. Now don't get me wrong, I love new people getting introduced to the sport, but whatever happened to preparation and an understanding of what you're doing? These guys get their bow set up for them in the local archery shop and just hit the woods. I've had these same guys who give me a hard time for shooting a recurve and rub in how far/good they can shoot with their compounds (in good fun of course) have problems with their new bows and come to me for help because they dont understand whats' wrong. Like I said, I love new people being introduced to the sport. But the newest bows and the people who come with them are defininetely a double edged sword in my opinion.
mnobles23
hunter

Postby fallnl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:13 pm

You know...It's not a Northern thing at all....It's a personality thing...All those ME generation, type "A" personalities are our there to compete and bask in the glory that comes from a record book buck, or a banded bird...Those guys are the WORST people we could possibly have out in the field with us...

Me, I'm way too laid back to ever care about a buck....Personally, I shoot one of those old Bear Whitetails that my dad handed down to me...It still kills deer...And I have only ever really killed ONE buck in my life...It was a measly 4 point... :yes: All the others have been the first good sized doe I see...I think they are a little more tender anyhow...

Competition is for guys who have "little-johnson-syndrome"...If you gotta compete in the field...you sir, have a sorry life...It should only matter that you are out there...in the field...alive and kicking...basking in God's country....Even if you don't kill a danged thing...Enjoy it... :thumbsup:

Oh, and BTW...I have a Hoyt GameMaster II recurve on my Christmas list....I really want to get back to basics...not that a nearly 30 year old compound isn't.... :tongue:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby lukea.becker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:23 pm

sounds like a good item for the christmas list. good on ya for hangin up them training wheels hahahaha
We cannot expect the Americans to jump from capitalism to communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving Americans small doses of socialism until they suddenly awake to find they live under Communism. --Nikita Khrushchev
lukea.becker
hunter

Postby mnobles23 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 am

I've never shot any of the Hoyt recurves. I'm not sure what the price is on them either. I picked up a new recurve a couple years ago, it's a Chekmate. You can find some info on them on some trad archery forums if you're curious. I can honestly say that for the money, they are the best bow I've found. You can get a custom takedown for around $400. They shoot amazing too. Smooth draw, no stacking (I have a 31 inch draw) and very little hand shock. They're pretty fast too. I'm shooting almost 600 gr arrows weight @ 55lbs and shoting about 215-220 fps.

My dad came across them and bought one before I did. He's shot traditional for a LONG time and he is very particular about his bows. He used to shoot a Herter's that was unbelievable. He likes his Chekmate as much as the Herter's. The guy that makes them used to make the risers for Cascade. I think I got mine from Archerybymail.com.
mnobles23
hunter

Next

Return to Archery