Bow for new archer.

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Bow for new archer.

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey guys I had asked some info but, now think I have found I bow I want. I was wondering what everyone taught about this bow? Is it a good deal and a good bow to start with?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FRED-BEAR-Insti ... 7C294%3A50
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
Dogs Retrieves 120 ducks 1 goose
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Re: Bow for new archer.

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Bear bows have come a long way in the last couple years. The Instinct is a great starter bow IMO. I'll tell you what I tell everyone else that buys a bow, shoot the one you think you want and a few others before you buy. There are others in that price range too, Parker, other Bears, some Diamonds, PSE. Just make sure to find the one you shoot best and feels best to you. I'm also always leery of buying a bow online. I'd ask the guy for close ups on the limbs for sure just to make sure they aren't cracked.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks preacher. I have been having problems finding anyone with a LH bow in stock for me to handle and shoot. I was wanting to get the Bear Lights Out as you had suggested but, can not find a LH one. I am moving back to Ohio and have found a dealer in Indiana that will let me order one without paying for it so that if I don't like it I do not have to buy it. He said his supplier will let him return it. So I might just wait.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 am

Is there a Gander Mountain near you? If there is I'll look up to see what stores have a Lights Out in LH next time I go into work and let you know. Then you can tell the one you have the store number that has it and they'll transfer it. If I'm not mistaken we have a LH Lights Out. I'll check to see the if there is a Gander near you though.

EDIT: Nope we don't have anything in WA. Nearest thing is in North Dakota. Is there a Bass Pro or anything near you? Just about any archery shop will let you shoot their bows if you are interested in buying. Shoot a few until you find the bear and then make up your mind. You really can't buy a bad bow any more, it's just all preference. For a starter bow I tend to steer people toward the Lights Out in all honesty. It has an 8" brace height which makes it very forgiving of your errors and it's got a really short axle to axle length so you don't whack a limb up in your treestand. It's also one of the lightest bows I've shot. It's about the same price as a bare bow as the Instinct was all set up. Usually you can find a package from just about any company for somewhere around 400 bucks.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 pm

The bow shop that is close does not carry LH bows. The sportsmens wharehouse here is closeing and there is a Cabelas but, it is 3 1/2 hrs away. I will probally just wait until I can find that bow to shoot. I do not want to get stuck with a product and just end up buying a new one. Thanks for the help.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:16 pm

I'd give Sportsmans Warehouse a call then. If they are going out of business I bet they have some sweat deals. The good thing about being a left handed archer is that you are far and few between so LH bows are always the ones left over, so you might find you a good deal worth the drive there.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogsbestfriend2 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Well sportsmens has no LH bows and will not order any. So looks like I will have to wait. There is one more place to check so I will see. Thanks for the Help Preacher. I will be driving across the coutry soon so I guess I can check places as I go also there is a Bass Pro close to where I am going.
2008/2009 Tally
Hunts 18
Ducks 86
Widgeon 34
Pintail 8
Gadwall 10
Mallards 13
Spoony 2
Ruddy 1
GW Teal 4
Bufflehead 9
BlueBills 4
Comon Golden Eye 3
dogsbestfriend2
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:58 am

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery