a handing ?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

a handing ?

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 am

I've never bow hunted a day in my life but I cant shake the idea. I'm thinking a pse brute, but not sure. Here's my ?. I'm left handed and have always done things left handed, but I'm right eye dominant. U can pick up used rh bows all day long, but not lh. what should I do. All the people I know that have bows are about 6-8" shorter than me so their bows dont fit me to try. Just wandering if I should stay left handed or not.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Re: a handing ?

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Is your shotgun or rifle left handed? I'd recommend sticking with how you shoot your firearms. If you shoot them lefty then shoot your bow that way as well. That's my two cents. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I write lefty, but bat, throw, and shoot everything right handed. I'm also right eye dominant.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Everything I do is lefty. I was to stubborn as a kid to admit i was right eye dominant, so i learned everything lefty. I figured I should stay lefty, but I wanted to see what bow hunters thought.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Yep I'd stick with lefty if I were you. The good thing about being left handed is that when an archery shop has a sale on bows the lefties stay around for awhile. Everyone is right handed so the good RH bows on clearance go first. We have lefties on clearance at Gander nearly a year after we put them on clearance. You can always go to a bow shop and see which way suits you best. My brother shoots left handed, but shoots his bow right handed. Why? I don't know. He wanted a bow so my dad sold him his old one and he got it cheap, so he learned. I'd just shoot a couple at a shop and see what fits you. Hope you find a good 'un. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ithaca Dog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:29 pm

I just attended a workshop to bring archery in to schools a couple of weeks ago. The professional said that you should shoot to your dominate eye. Even if you have shot the opposite for years. It was recommended that you switch if you shot with the opposite eye even if you had shot for years. The presenter said that he was a perfect example since he had shot right handed for years but had switched and now shot much better. I would switch if I was right handed and shooting left eye dominate and vice versa. Especially if I hadn't shot much before then I would learnto shoot with the correct eye then shoot with both eyes open. It will improve your shooting. I have a friend that shoots both right and left handed. This is because he learned to shoot right handed, learned he was left eye dominate, then switched. He shoots better left handed even with the years of incorrect practice. Both eyes open all the time! Even with the shotgun.

Hammer
Ithaca Dog
hunter

Postby ghilliehunter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm

If you can keep both eyes open and focus on the target with your left eye then shoot left handed, even if you have to wink your right eye, you can still shoot lefty. The olympic training center did a study and found that it doesn't make much of a difference- shoot whatever's comfortable.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Return to Archery