first bow...need help with accessories

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

first bow...need help with accessories

Postby yareelohim » Thu May 07, 2009 5:57 pm

I am new to bow hunting and just bought my first bow. I bought the Fred Bear Instinct with no accessories on it. I comes with Limb savers, kisser button, and string silencer, thats all. What all do I need for the bow and which accessories will be of the most importance? Please feel free to educate me as you write too, I am brand new to bow hunting.

For instance, when I buy a stabilizer, what should I look for? Size, weight, material, etc? What about sights?

I don't want to spend a ton of money. I would like to pay as little as possible for something that is decent but not garbage and not high end. Also, what kind of arrows and heads would be the best for a deer and pig setup?

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

- Jonathan
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Re: first bow...need help with accessories

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Thu May 07, 2009 8:20 pm

You are prolly going to need to go to a pro shop to figure out what works best for your bow.

For myself I use a sims stabilizer, tru glo sites , 3 blade 100gr muzzy broadheads. My arrows are Carbon Express. I would recommend a dropaway rest.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 am

CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:You are prolly going to need to go to a pro shop to figure out what works best for your bow.

For myself I use a sims stabilizer, tru glo sites , 3 blade 100gr muzzy broadheads. My arrows are Carbon Express. I would recommend a dropaway rest.

:ditto: he said it pretty good, i would suggest a single pin sight of some kind though, i find them to be easier when the moment of truth comes, you dont have to figure out which pin to look at
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:27 am

I'm definitely with CALLEM, go shoot one and see what you like. As accessories go, it's up to you. You're going to hear mixed opinions. I have a different one than both the guys that posted ahead of me, I like a 5 pin site set at 20,30,40,50, and 60. I wouldn't shoot at 60 but practicing at that distance make 30 yarders chip shots. I also like my expandable broadheads and Easton A/C/C arrows. I also hate drop away rests, I have a Hostage Pro. I believe in keeping things simple in a hunting situation because with me if something can go wrong it will. Just find something that fits you and start adding accessories and buy arrows based on what you like because you'll never get a consensus on what the best ones are. I will say as far as arrows go to start out with some cheapo carbon (definitely go carbon) ones that cost 30 bucks a half dozen. When you first start out you're going to lose arrows.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri May 08, 2009 11:09 am

I tend to agree with preach. I don't think you need a 5 pin sight, but I really enjoy my 3 pin. I've never shot a deer beyond the first pin, but its nice to have flexibility. I have a trophy ridge sight, some people don't like them.

As for a rest, I've looked at fall aways, but I haven't found one I want to put on my bow yet. But shoot one or two with a fall away and see what you think. I also like expandable broadheads, grim reapers for the time being. For arrows, definitely do carbon, but start out with the cheapos. I destroyed more arrows in my first 3 months than I have in the last year.

Stabalizers, I have a cheap one and need to upgrade it. Cheap ones help make your bow fall forward, but the nicer ones help absorb the vibration after the shot. You can buy a cheapo then upgrade later, but a good stabilizer is nice.

No matter what you decide, once you put it on there, practice practice practice. I've been too busy turkey hunting to shoot my bow lately, but you need to feel comfortable with what you have. Get comfortable shooting with the proper form first. Keep in mind that you won't be used to using a bow, so don't go overkill in the beginning, just take a few shots then rest for a while or call it quits for the day. If you're not careful you'll wear yourself out and start pulling your shots. You won't know if your sights have come loose or if its you. After you get the hand of it, start to focus the most on hitting the target with your first shot. When hunting thats the only one that counts so make your practice that way. Don't think that you need to go out and shoot 50 arrows in an hour to practice, especially since you're not used to using a 70# bow.

As the season approaches if you hunt from a ground blind, practice shooting out of it. If you hunt from a tree stand, practice shooting out of it. Also, shoot your broadheads before you go out to the blind at some point, no matter how much the marketing material says, "Flies like a field point" it doesn't always fly like one.

Oh and congrats on getting started in bow hunting. Getting a deer to get within bow range and taking it out is one of the most exciting things out there. You'll end up like me, who was more proud of the Doe I shot with my bow than the 8 pt I took with my rifle.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Fri May 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Jonathan,
I'm kinda in the boat with the rest of these guys, but I'm not wearing a life jacket. I never did like fall-away rests, but I had a friend put me on to one that I now swear by for dual reasons. It is the Ripcord fall away rest. It can be drawn and shot like most fall-aways, or, for stand hunting purposes, It can be locked in the up position to hold your arrow, and when set properly, when you draw, it disengages the mechanism holding it up, allowing it to fall when you shoot. below, I will try to post links to all the products I recommend. The other reason I like this rest is approximately 5 months after i had it, I was "fine tuning" it, and while tightening the screw that moves it left and right, half the rest broke off in my hand. Longer story shorter, I called their customer service, and told them what happened, and first, they apologized and asked for my address. Told me that there would be one on the way within the hour, and to just keep the old one for parts! It is about 90 bucks for the Camo version, but is IMO the best rest on the market bar none. The link for it is: www.ripcordarrowrest.com/.
The sights that I have are the Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix. One of the best features about them is that the only tools you'll ever need is to install them, or change out pins. Once you get the all the pins set close with the "levers", you can then "dial them in" with the micro adjust windage, and elevation knobs. Sounds gimmicky and cheap, but I assure you they are super easy, and reliable. After looking at their website, they have a new version of them, that looks like they improved them alot. don't know what the price will be yet, but there is alot of talk of them on google through different forums. the link to their website to the sights is: http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/. hope all of this helps you, if not, PM me, and I'll try and help some more. :welcome:
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sat May 09, 2009 12:15 am

Like everyone has said man, get what is comfortable for you. One thing is for sure, You will become addicted and you will be buying new stuff every couple of years. So this is not a life decision.

Personally I like a shorter stab no longer than 10 inches, but I also shoot a lite bow.
I love drop aways contrary to preacher. God was having a good day when he gave man the drop away rest. no more fletching gone or messed up arrow flight!
Shoot release not fingers if you can help it.
Shoot long. when you can hit 4 or 5 inch circles at 40 or 50 yards, it will be quarters all day at 20 and 30.
dont let "the next best thing" break the bank. If its comfortable stay with it.
I like 5 pins! if you get three you will soon want five. go with a smaller pin size also. (.019 will do fine) we're not shooting grandpa's bow here
I like trophy ridge. I shoot all trophy ridge stuff and I love it.
pull the weight you are comfortable with. make sure you can do this with shaky knees and 25 feet off the ground (whole new ball game)
you will miss. That's life and that's why they calling hunting. but the hits are soooooo rewarding
shoot in many different situations
Oh! and get a range finder. dont rely on it, but its a great tool to check yourself with.
Blazers Blazers Blazers
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby yareelohim » Sat May 09, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for all the help you guys!

You definitely gave me a lot to think about. My bow gets here on Friday so I am going to keep looking at accessories then will decide over next weekend what all I will go with.

Thanks again!
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 pm

What bow did you get?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery